Focus Fanatics Forum banner

pyroinsa's ZX5 build thread(sort of)

54K views 595 replies 36 participants last post by  katiekay 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to use this thread to document the mods that I have done with my Focus. I first got the car at the end of 03 maybe the beginning of 04, not exactly sure. When I got the car it had a little less than 10,000 miles on it. Anyways here is what I started with:

2.0 Zetec, 16" alloy 5-spokes, moonroof, heated seats, tachometer, 6-disc CD changer, fog lights, e.t.c. The dealer even tinted the windows before I drove it home.

The first mod that I did was the stereo, I was stupid with this mod[facepalm]but don't regret it. I went to Best Buy and had a store credit card and maxed it out on the stereo. That was in the summer of 2004, at that time it had an Alpine 10" sub with a 600 watt power amp, 4 6x8 Alpine speakers powered by another 400 watt 4 channel amp, and the head unit is a Dual(I know, not the best) 7" touchscreen dvd player with an aux port for mp3 players and another aux port that I used for a PS2. Now it sits with a newer Alpine poweramp 8" Rockford Fosgate sub in the SVT enclosure, and of coarse Blue Led's:

Other interior mods include painted vent rings, seat covers, pink car seat for the kiddo, iPhone mount, steering wheel cover, Ford truck floor-mats

The next mod was painting and mounting the new rear. With the install of the bumper came the euro crash foam and retro fitted crash bar, blacked out tails with the AVS covers, and the magnaflow exhaust:

After that, the Focus sat for another year while I did my last deployment. When I came back I got into an accident within a week, happened when a careless driver ran a red light. She had no insurance and I had liability so I did the quick fix with a bra and new headlights:

Then came the 17" Konig hotswaps with Falken 205/45Z/R17 tires, and a Billet grille:

After that, the next mod was fixing the damage from the accident, I needed a new bumper cover, and passenger fender. I could not locate the euro bumper that I wanted after shopping around I decided on these: the Pro-Dtm bumper and new fog lights wired into the factory harness and the Vis Racing Laser fenders:

Next I added the TFB Designs side stripes, niteshaded the third brake light silver, removed the AVS tail shades, painted the mirror caps and installed the euro rear taillights:

For the most part this is how my Focus sits today:

Engine bay:

Mod to engine are K&N drop in filter, resonator delete(Not in pic), painted battery cover and fuse box cover, not sure what kind was done with stereo install but a higher watt alternator, just recently new Autolite double platinum spark plugs.

Thanks for looking(and reading if you did lol)

New mods include SVT spoiler, doorhandles and sideskirts.

See less See more
#68 ·
Just a quick update, There is a company in my town who does custom plastic molds so, I am getting covers made for the fender vents. I just have to find the time to take my fenders off so they can pour a mold for them. They will mimic the fender vents on the 2nd gen Foci.

Also, I placed one last order at TFB Designs, great guys, but I am done sticking things to my Focus lol

I seen this on transformerzx3's ride, I believe his is custom made.

#95 ·
Right now, I am waiting to complete the sale on the SVT wheels that I am getting from Fletcher. Wanted to get them powdercoated, at $80 - $100 each, that will wait a few months. I want to get grille inserts made for my fender vents, the problem with that is I have to take the fenders off so they can pour a mold, that's gonna have to wait until I can live without my car for a few days. Looking into getting a euro grille, didn't like the billet grille too much but I think it looks cleaner than stock. I really like cjheck's roof, I'm thinking about doing that with paint and leaving the AVS shade off the roof.

Near future coilovers, SVT wing and sideskirts, it should look really clean once I get these parts on.

Sadly, I have to build up my mod fund again, so hopefully my Konig's will sell soon - or I am going to play the waiting game and do some small stuff.

I didn't know your name was Brian too. Hello, Brian. lol
Me neither lol. What up Brian!!!

#98 ·
So I plastidipped my stock wheels and put them back on the car, so that I could take the tires off my aftermarkets and put them on the SVT's

Also, I bought an SVT wing, so hopefully I can get that in the mail and painted/installed by next weekend

#112 ·
I figured that I would post this guide on how to wire EDM taillights, was my first wiring job!!! I used the guide below. On the GEM I had to extend the wires on the first two plugs to get them to run to the third.

Ok so to get to the GEM, leave your glovebox closed and take a 7mm socket to rmove the three screws. To unplug each of the three plugs, just lift up and push back on the yellow tabs. follow front diagram, on plug one and two I extended the wires to reach plug three. I used wire splicers to tap into the wires that I needed to tap into.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172884

On the back where I ran the two wires, I ran the one for the passenger side under the trim and up through the hole where the metal tip on the back of the light sits.

I tried just doing the back first like I found in another guide and i didn't have any lights, so you can try that one, I'm sure it will work on certain Foci, but like I said I used the one above and I worked perfect.
On the back you'll notice the tow red wires, they each go up into the tails and tap into the respective wires on the diagram. The brake lights fit perfect into the turn signals, and it came with the euro light bulbs for the top. If you are having trouble finding bulbs to fit, you can get universal ones at autozone.

The extra wiring was left over from the first attempt using a bad diagram, sorry

#121 ·
Haha thanks for pointing that out, when I changed my signature back, I knew it had a 38 in it lol[facepalm]

They just went from slightly ricy IMO to pretty darn cool with the plastidip chrome. I like them like that.
Thanks, I feel the same way

i was going to say the same thing [headbang]
Thanks, they look good enought to keep now[cool]

hmmmm now the wheels look good. the only thing that's throwing me off are the side stripe and the sun roof thing on top. other than that this ride is on point. keep up the good work [thumb] o and you need some more lows [:)]
Working on the low, might be done with that in a few weeks, undecided about the stripe, and the roof is going to be gloss black without the sunroof visor when I get my SVT wing[headbang]

i gotta agree with this one.
Me too lol

#127 ·
Thanks Tim, I've had those lights on for a long time, just never wired them up right until recently thats why they were covered before. All the stickers on my car came from TFB Designs.com - there is a picture thread just to give you an idea of what they have:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236903

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.