Focus Fanatics Forum banner

stealthzx3's ZX3 build

120K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  zx3_bmxrider 
#1 ·
alright, so this will be my on-going build thread. i've always been fascinated with cars since a was a little kid. after my first Toyota threw a rod, i was driving a 99' Chevy metro. then one day, my dad found my 2001 ZX3 on craigslist for 1,200. i called the owner and talked to them about buying it. so i held my breath, and sold my metro and borrowed a little extra cash from my mom to buy the Focus.
my dad and I drove an hour to go check it out. we took it for a test drive, and i almost immediately fell in love with it. it was compact yet comfortable, and very fun to drive. somehow we walked away with it for $900. it sat in the garage because it needed a heater core flush (it was winter), oil change, fresh coolant, and 2 tires. eventually, my dad got annoyed of me driving his minivan because he was stuck with a dodge ram getting under 20mpg. so he bought me 2 new tires and paid for registration.
i loved driving it around, because i felt like a bada$$ compared to driving in that metro, lol. i remember going on a Tercel forum and learning about my car; that's when i found FocusFanatics :D

after that, i started painting the interior pieces, because that's the only thing i could afford.

one day, i picked up a can of the VHT Niteshades. i did my bumper and grille signals.
don't mind the eyelids here, i got bored and made them out of electrical tape LOL

i also debadged it, but i don't have a shot of that right away. i eventually figured out how to open my hatch (hatch button doesn't work and the key doesn't fit in) and nite-shaded my tails.

looking around in the how-to archive, i found the Hope Depot grille. i made the upper and lower and painted them black.

i just got a debit card in my name, so i ordered my first thing. the blue LED dome light.

i got around to getting 2 cans of plasti-dip. i took off the crappy electrical tape and painted real eyelids on. then i found time to plastidip my wheels too.

looking around for a sleeker looking antenna than just cutting the stock antenna in half, i found the antenna stub. 2 vacuum plugs on the stock base. i think it looks cleaner.

i recently bought a damaged SVT wing which i need to fix up and install.

today, i plasti-dipped the vent surrounds and handles to switch it up a bit.

this is how she sits now. i have a lot of mods in mind.

i'm taking it pretty slow for now, as i have to support my girlfriend and I with a minimum wage job.
i have many ideas for the future, and thankfully, i have the "focus graveyard" somewhat close to get nice parts.
thanks for taking the time to read this, and i will post new mods when it happens. [:D]

See less See more
#2 ·
nice dude! tbh a damper kit would be nice and afforable along with tints would really change the car. i feel on you on the slow and steady pace im on the same boat

#4 ·
i know what you mean, i want to drop it 1.5" or so. need to find good but cheap springs. also looking into the tint.

Sweet find for just $900, and it looks like it is well equipped thats a plus! Tint wouls be nice and affordable, just stay away from DiY on the tint - never seen a DiY tint look good.

Something that I would do is restore the headlights, for $20 it will really clean up the front, possibly paint the housings black too?
i've been looking into tint, it would be around 250 all around i think. i tried cleaning the headlight but i guess that was temporary, i'll keep an eye out for a good cleaner for a good price. and i do want to paint the housings black, i'm not sure what kind of epoxy to use to seal it back up when i'm done; i don't want any moisture to get in or anything.

#3 ·
Sweet find for just $900, and it looks like it is well equipped thats a plus! Tint wouls be nice and affordable, just stay away from DiY on the tint - never seen a DiY tint look good.

Something that I would do is restore the headlights, for $20 it will really clean up the front, possibly paint the housings black too?

#10 ·
#27 ·
Nice looking car man. i'm in the same boat you are. my first car was a 99 Infiniti Q45t. i loved it but i pretty much blew it up haha.and the 4.1l v8 loved the gas. sold it and got a 2000 focus zx3 for 2700. don't have much money but i just got 4 cans of plasti dip haha. wheels and some trim work in store. prob getting a cold air intake and stuff. but good luck and nice looking car man!

#32 ·
woohooo...
this makes me want to start my build thread... i have been meaning to for, oh i don't know, 3 years... lol..

#34 ·
i have it all wired up. it was a mess. but they're currently on working order, so i'm happy :D
i have some pics of the work. here's my materials.

like i said, it was a mess.

coming together.

trial and error. almost ready to put the console back in.

#36 ·
me either! tonight is the night. i will take pics for all to see. lol.
i'll do one with my blue dome light on, and with it off to show the brightness! although, my iPod doesn't take that good of pictures, i'll do the best i can.

#40 ·
well i'm surprised by the ebay LEDs. they're not bad. i didn't get them to glow behind the front seats (rear floor) but i'll never be sitting in the back anyways, haha!
here's what i did.

closer pic and you can see it a little under the seat.

here's with the dome light on.

well obviously, it's brighter in person, i just have a crappy iPod camera. i like the outcome though. now i just need an aftermarket deck with blue lights.. lol

#44 ·
the blue led lights look sweet man i love it. i might put blue inside mine. or green lol that'd be sweet. how long did it take to install? i'm not much on electrical stuff though.

#57 ·
That one looks good (for what little I know about subwoofers lol). I'm probably going to stick with a 12". I'm seriously looking at an xplod; they have good rating, look like a solid unit, and just about anything will be better than the little 10" Verge I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.