Focus Fanatics Forum banner

stealthzx3's ZX3 build

120K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  zx3_bmxrider 
#1 ·
alright, so this will be my on-going build thread. i've always been fascinated with cars since a was a little kid. after my first Toyota threw a rod, i was driving a 99' Chevy metro. then one day, my dad found my 2001 ZX3 on craigslist for 1,200. i called the owner and talked to them about buying it. so i held my breath, and sold my metro and borrowed a little extra cash from my mom to buy the Focus.
my dad and I drove an hour to go check it out. we took it for a test drive, and i almost immediately fell in love with it. it was compact yet comfortable, and very fun to drive. somehow we walked away with it for $900. it sat in the garage because it needed a heater core flush (it was winter), oil change, fresh coolant, and 2 tires. eventually, my dad got annoyed of me driving his minivan because he was stuck with a dodge ram getting under 20mpg. so he bought me 2 new tires and paid for registration.
i loved driving it around, because i felt like a bada$$ compared to driving in that metro, lol. i remember going on a Tercel forum and learning about my car; that's when i found FocusFanatics :D

after that, i started painting the interior pieces, because that's the only thing i could afford.

one day, i picked up a can of the VHT Niteshades. i did my bumper and grille signals.
don't mind the eyelids here, i got bored and made them out of electrical tape LOL

i also debadged it, but i don't have a shot of that right away. i eventually figured out how to open my hatch (hatch button doesn't work and the key doesn't fit in) and nite-shaded my tails.

looking around in the how-to archive, i found the Hope Depot grille. i made the upper and lower and painted them black.

i just got a debit card in my name, so i ordered my first thing. the blue LED dome light.

i got around to getting 2 cans of plasti-dip. i took off the crappy electrical tape and painted real eyelids on. then i found time to plastidip my wheels too.

looking around for a sleeker looking antenna than just cutting the stock antenna in half, i found the antenna stub. 2 vacuum plugs on the stock base. i think it looks cleaner.

i recently bought a damaged SVT wing which i need to fix up and install.

today, i plasti-dipped the vent surrounds and handles to switch it up a bit.

this is how she sits now. i have a lot of mods in mind.

i'm taking it pretty slow for now, as i have to support my girlfriend and I with a minimum wage job.
i have many ideas for the future, and thankfully, i have the "focus graveyard" somewhat close to get nice parts.
thanks for taking the time to read this, and i will post new mods when it happens. [:D]

See less See more
#936 ·
I read somewhere that a guy fixed his rash with jb weld. You can look into that also.

Sent from my iPhone via FF Mobile
this is true. i am going to be doing it to my 6spokes.

#939 ·
It's a two part epoxy that when mixed, it's a paste like consistency. Used some to repair my header.

#941 ·
yep. kinda like body filler.. but metal. so it will be tougher to sand down, i believe.

#942 ·
good deal. i'll have to try that. there is a few decent size rashes on the wheels.

i'm currently working on the secret halloween mod! some of you may think it's lame, but i'll like having something different. it's nothing extremely crazy

#948 ·
#949 ·
i really like bright color wheels on black cars..
and orange has always been a fav color of mine.

is that the orange plastidip??

#955 ·
i know, i love orange! and i thought it would be cool to add some bright color to change it up a bit.
and nope, it's orange paint on top of plastidip

Dude. Keep the black and orange. Looks amazing.
thanks man, i'm already getting used to it

Orange on my dark blue(twilight blue) car? Hmmmmm.......
aah i don't think that'll flow well. there's plenty of other colors under the sun!

I'm liking it!
thanks [:I]

just got this puppy too. REPRESENT! haha

inoino the license plate is a little beat up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.