Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread

261K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally decided to make myself a thread I can call my own. I'm not expecting to do any major builds in the near future, but since I'm always doing little changes to my car, I figured I might as well put them all in one place and stop cluttering up the rest of the forum.

A bit about me and the car. I bought my 2002 Ford Focus Svt in June, 2010 and had no real hands on knowledge about working on or modding a car except some basics I learned from my dad and from reading auto magazines. Over the past few months I have done a lot of work on this car and have really learned how to do many things. In other words, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, you can do anything that I have done. Furthermore, I will be the first one to admit that I have not done many things in the best or most efficient way possible. I am just learning and having fun.

Thread Rules (Or lack thereof)

Feel free to post any kind of comments or questions. If anyone would like to know how to do anything, let me know and I can give you some of the resources I used. Becuase of the way I have this thread organized, it doesn't matter how cluttered the rest of the thread gets. Post anything you feel like from suggestions, questions, and random comments. I won't feel bad if anything gets a little of topic. [thumb]

Table of Contents

First post:

Current Status Section
  1. Current Performance Modifications
  2. Current Interior Modifications
  3. Current Exterior Modifications
  4. Current Exterior Pictures
  5. Current Interior Pictures
Second post:

Modification Time Line

Reference Material

See less See more
#1,722 ·
i always thought those were pretty cool. im surprised they didnt sell more just on looks. any known issues or too expensive?

#1,723 ·
I don't know what they cost when new, but if I recall correctly, they were still on the previous generation Explorer frame compared the Explorers of it's age so underneath it could be considered outdated. However, the biggest issue was the fact that it's very compromised. The box is too small to really make a truck and the doesn't have the inclosed back area like an SUV/crossover has. Maybe if they had just made it a four door Ranger instead of making a new model it would have worked better, but as is, I still see a few around so the Sport Tracs weren't a complete flop.

But as far as I'm concerned, the compromises are perfect for me. It's got a strong V6 under the hood and isn't as big and heavy as a half ton so it has the power and hopefully will still get decent fuel economy when empty. I really found that I use interior space more than a pickup bed so the larger cabin compared to a compact truck and the four doors is much more useful to my needs. I really prefer the small box to carry gas and other things I don't want in a cabin with me and that can be hosed down. Lastly, as far as this truck goes, it's got almost all the bells and whistles I could wish for from full leather and heated seats to a moonroof and cargo bed extender.

Reactions: SvviftSVT
#1,724 ·
Good news!!!! Last payment has been made on the Sport Trac which means I can begin work (translation: spend money) on the SVT again.

Since I haven't really been able to do much on the SVT for a while, I've spent some time over the summer doing cheap mods to the truck.

Hopefully things will start picking up in here again soon.

Reactions: cdbertrand
#1,726 ·
Like you said, the front fenders are on and the front SVT bumper has been modified to fit with them. Those parts are all painted, but in the future, I would like to do a little more work on the front bumper to smoothen it out a little more. The rear fenders are on as well but are still primer. Ive been waiting to buy the paint till after the truck was paid off.

I have not bought any bumpers, but I think in the future, I would like to go the full conversion. Just have to wait for the right opportunity.

#1,728 ·
I'm working on getting spacers right now. Not an ideal setup running spacers that large, but I love my EAP's and I'd have to replace both my winter wheels as well as summer wheels if I went that route.

Someday I hope to get a nice set of wheels that will fit without spacers, but it's better to wait to get some great wheels than go cheap right now for a set that I wont like.

#1,734 ·
They are 30mm spacers. The fronts stick out a little more than I'd like, but not enough to worry about. I thought the front wheels would rub on the fenders but it's actually the rears that rub. I think they are hitting part of the mudflap that stick into the wheel well. Easy fix.

#1,736 ·
Bought a few items this past week for the SVT. Nothing major but I'll update as they arrive. One package is coming from the UK, though. :D

First to come was an SVT coil cover. When I bought this car, it didn't have either of the SVT cover (coil and spark), but now it has both again. It's all about the little things.

#1,737 ·
Minor part but I bought a set of Cougar needles for the SVT. I'm not planning on putting them in immediately just because of the time it takes to do it and then recalibrate but it will be a great improvement when they are in. Just need to find two more for the other two gauges.

#1,739 ·
Agreed. That's a big reason I went with the Sport Trac. I only use it to tow a small trailer so I didn't need the V8 power, but I use the truck as a daily for work so the versatility is great. It's also great just having a truck so I don't have to put the SVT through another winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.