Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread

261K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally decided to make myself a thread I can call my own. I'm not expecting to do any major builds in the near future, but since I'm always doing little changes to my car, I figured I might as well put them all in one place and stop cluttering up the rest of the forum.

A bit about me and the car. I bought my 2002 Ford Focus Svt in June, 2010 and had no real hands on knowledge about working on or modding a car except some basics I learned from my dad and from reading auto magazines. Over the past few months I have done a lot of work on this car and have really learned how to do many things. In other words, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, you can do anything that I have done. Furthermore, I will be the first one to admit that I have not done many things in the best or most efficient way possible. I am just learning and having fun.

Thread Rules (Or lack thereof)

Feel free to post any kind of comments or questions. If anyone would like to know how to do anything, let me know and I can give you some of the resources I used. Becuase of the way I have this thread organized, it doesn't matter how cluttered the rest of the thread gets. Post anything you feel like from suggestions, questions, and random comments. I won't feel bad if anything gets a little of topic. [thumb]

Table of Contents

First post:

Current Status Section
  1. Current Performance Modifications
  2. Current Interior Modifications
  3. Current Exterior Modifications
  4. Current Exterior Pictures
  5. Current Interior Pictures
Second post:

Modification Time Line

Reference Material

See less See more
#891 ·
No I haven't. I looked at it and it should be fairly easy.
I need to get some hood latches

#892 ·
How are you thinking about doing it, removing the lock piece by piece or simply chopping it with a saw?

I thought for sure I had an extra latch laying around to play with but I can't find it anywhere. I'll probable end up taking mine out ant trying a few things with it this weekend.

#893 ·
Got the lock off today:

Hopefully the picture below shows mostly how it comes off. Basically, there is a spring loaded snap on the lock portion that prevents the lock from turning on the latch. To get it off, you need to push the snap up from inside the latch and turn the lock so that it aligns with the slots and can be pulled off. It's hard getting the snap pushed in because I could never get the latch fully disassemble, but with some patience and help, the lock portion came of from the rest of the latch.

And the repainting process again.

The plastic backing that I can finally use since the lock is gone.

Bondoed

How it sits now until I can sand it down a little more before the final painting.

#896 ·
We figured out where the clunking in the front end is coming from. Both lower control arm ball joints have gone bad. Trying to get them replaced today.

#898 ·
Nice and shinny.

Except for one bolt on the P side, it was actually surprisingly easy considering the rust. I've only driven the car a little bit but my first impression is amazing. The car sits so much better on turns and doesn't squat anymore on dips in the road like it was starting to do. It feels like a whole new car.

#900 ·
About $140 for the set from a local parts store.

I never had any clunking on turns, just over bumps. One way to tell that something is wrong with your lower control arms is by jacking up the front wheels and trying to shake them. If you can move them, something is definitely wrong worn. I could shake both wheels very easily.

#904 ·
Of course I don't mind. A lot of what I've done has been borrowed from other start with but everything I've done is free game.

Let's see a pic of that car of yours.

#907 ·
Thanks.

I'm still working on an idea for the HVAC controls but probably won't get a chance to do them until this weekend. The bezel also needs more work in order to get more gloss out of it.

#915 ·
The final results of my day.

And all put together. I tried to get a picture of it reinstalled in the car but it was too dark. I'll get some more ASAP.

In the end, I bought Rustoleom Automotive High Gloss black and clear paint for the bezel with very good results. The HVAC surrounds and buttons are nightshade with clear coat. As you can guess, it's hard to see the labeling behind the nightshade now, but in reality, I already know what each button does and how to turn on my fans so it doesn't really bother me. Furthermore, light still shines through so I'm planning on maybe putting brighter lights behind them so they shine through during the day as well as at night.

BTW Those pictures don't do it justice. In my humble opinion, it looks amazing in person.

#917 ·
Don't get your hopes up to fast; knowing me, it will probably be a few more months before I start any lighting project. lol

I'm also planning on getting some of those HVAC control knobs that you got albeit in black.

#920 ·
Now that I think about it, you got the black on black on black look going, so those eBay knobs would look really good in black to match you theme. Now you need to niteshade that clock before you put it back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.