Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#5 ·
The rims came black, but my whole car is covered in a VERY fine ash due to the fires nearby, getting too close for comfort to be honest, less than 5 miles away now. So the matte black rims are supposed to be glossy, but I have heard of people plastidipping the rims.

I can just peel it off if I want, it's a rubber substance that is sprayed on and it looks matte like the door handles and pillars.

#6 ·
Also they don't make Carbon Fiber gas doors for our cars so I can't do that. T_T

#14 ·
BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIMS!!!!!!!!!!

ive also done all the trunk trim and badges.as well as parts on alot of my buddies trucks

#21 ·
yeah you can get a lot out of a single can. i have done those grilles, my badges, let people use it on their cars. and had someone use it to spray "RACECAR" on the side of a rental. and i still have a decent amount of my original can left.

in short, a little goes a long way.

#22 ·
hah!

anyways I actually just wahsed my car last night and I was surprised to find out the plastidip i did on my fender vents didn't come off... Stuff is pretty awesome if you ask me...

#27 ·
Possibly a stupid question here but can you paint over the PlastiDip without damaging the paint underneath? That way you can paint anything any color that you want but still be able to remove it later. Plus you could use a much glossier paint.

#29 ·
actually you can do that. i saw some guy do it on another forum where he plasti dipped the chrome trim on the inside of the car then painted it will like a brushed aluminum i think. but anyway ive seen it done an it looked good and didnt effect anything in the long run

#212 ·
plasti-dip my rear badge for the black out effect, looks really good and holds up great!!
How exactly did you do this? On the car? Did you mask the area, or just peel (or wipe?) away the excess? (I'm only asking because I've never used the stuff...) Looks great.

'bout time someone did this; looks sensational (and will be perfect when you've done the grille to match - and swapped in some Titanium HLs [:)]).

Same question(s) as above: did you remove these to do them?

#38 ·
I want to say chipping is a non issue, the stuff is a rubber that sticks to the surface you paint. (Provided it was clean at the start) So I would say it's rather durable and elasticy, and since people have put them on wheels and front bumpers without anything negative to say about it is a plus. That and it's CHEAP, so even if it messes up down the road it's not too hard to pull it off and fix it

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.