Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SaleenT's Duratec 2.0L Build

50K views 121 replies 31 participants last post by  SaleenT121 
#1 ·
I have been put in a position where i am forced to build my engine one year ahead of my plan. I had a slight mishap and sucker punched my engine destroying a few valves, head and shattering a piston...anyways, i have enlisted the help of Turbo Turtle who will handle the build up. Most of my choices came from good deals and a budget that im keeping in check. I know there many options to chose from but here is what i have so far.

Super deal on rods the cheapest ive found ...http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

See less See more
#5 ·
While the car is apart i had decided to upgrade the clutch from my previous spec stage 1 to a spec 2+ 6 puck. I only had 1000 miles on that thing but spec re searfaced my flywheel and upgraded it for cheap. The factory 2.0 had a dual mass so i decided to use an Exedy OEM replacement single mass that is a good bit lighter that that hunk of dual mass garbage. It added up to be about 9lbs lighter than factory....

Note : The spec clutches you buy will not fit the Exedy 2.3L flywheel.
They will fit the factory(flywheel) only, the clutch seems to be too big!
Spec is trying to fix this issue, since you cant machine our flywheels.
They will match your clutch with whatever flywheel choose to you have.

#52 ·
Very nice parts man, I myself am dealing with the flywheel in my 03 2.3l MTX75.

Did you originally replace the a dual mass flywheel with a single piece flywheel?

And if so, could you recommend some good conversion kits for my 03 2.3l? I have the DM flywheel, and I am looking to replace it with a single piece, no serous HP or anything, just a conversion kit. Know any good one's for less then $527?

I found this one> http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-23...onversion-clutch-kit-ford-focus-23l-8-78.aspx < but it seems a little high to me on pricing?

#8 ·
For all those with the Saleen Focus looking for an idea to open the exhaust for your turbo and still keep the sound under control. I choose to use an electronic cutout.
Note: Saleen exhaust is a magnaflow 2.25 diameter and is not suitable for boosting over 8psi.

#9 ·
So far im still waiting on my main bearings from Clevite, should be here in the next day or two. Then the build will officially begin. Here is my list-o-parts.
Engine
Fel-pro mls head gasket
complete engine gasket kit
Clevite main and rod bearings
K1 rods
Wiseco 8:1 pistons Standard bore
ARP head and main bolts
New water pump

Trans
Spec 6puck clutch
Exedy flywheel
complete VF engineering mounts

#17 ·
This is the weirdest engine ford has. Ford has no listing of torque specs for bolts and every part had to be aftermarket. Even the Chilton/Haynes has N/A for certain torque specs. Ford list this engine as not able to rebuild, just purchase a new engine. The bearings dont have tangs like in the Zetec, and the oil pump has no gasket from factory but has a gasket kit for it.

#21 ·
Same happend on my 2.3 dura rebuild no specs haha it turned out good. just search you can find it on the web....i went one thing at the time. sorry dont mean to jack, i was just posting my pic to say.....man i like the blue!!!!!
Are those Weisco pistons?? what compression did you go with.

#22 · (Edited)
Ehhhhhhh i was doing a budget rebuild. those are stock ranger pistons with valve reliefs. probably lost .0005 cr, stock rods. went with very minor head work...gasket match and new valves. b/s delete. hot tank block, polished crank, balanced...mild to the max just to get it going, next one on the stand will be a nice strong n/a build YEA ITS FOED RED!!!!

#23 ·
If you want an aluminum valve cover, instead of the plastic, I have one off the motor I just put in my ST, (I put the plastic one on my car.)

#25 ·
I did all the design and R&D for the k1 rods back in late 2004 there good rods at a good price

The bearing tangs are only there to position the bearing in its place when you install it thats all the tangs do , many think there there to keep the bearing from turning but they are not

Tom

#26 ·
I did all the design and R&D for the k1 rods back in late 2004 there good rods at a good price
Tom
That price was a quarter of the cosworth price of rods, im sure there just as good. I don't think this build would have happened otherwise.

#27 ·
After 2 long months of parts delays and other obstructions, its almost done.
I should get her back Wed. Major props to Turbo Turtle for an excellent job!
Break in and Tuning remain, basically the fun stuff!

#31 ·
Update

I have Been working on some little things so my update took a while to post.
The car is running very smooth! Even with the lower compression, u cant tell any difference. Ill be dyno tuning in about a week so im looking for about 300 with this turbo setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.