Focus Fanatics Forum banner

just ordered the SCT x3 flash tuner

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  badazz2010focus 
#1 ·
So i just ordered the SCT x3 tuner for my 08 focus. Have any of the board members here had good luck with the data logging portion and custome tuning abilityoffered on the tuner? how intuitive is it? pretty easy to work with? i have a wide band that i am going to put on the car. that'll make alot of difference in knowing when and where to pull the fuel.

#4 ·
I did.

but I have tuned before, just not with a sct tuner. I am a HP tuners user and have been for years. I am well aware of the potential of screw ups. Thats why my gto no longer has the stock motor. little too lean burned a piston or 5.... i have tuned through many cars. i have just never really used the SCT. and it iwas ordered and i didn't have the unit here i was just trying to see if anyone had experience using it for the tuning abilities. Every one says this is the one for a Ford to get.

#3 ·
Return it- buy one from focus power- unlimited updates on tuning on a N/A application...

Tuning isn't just basic input.. There's a lot to it.. One parameter off and you can fry an engine

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Because Street Car

#5 ·
Who you got the xcal3 from should be able to set it up and help with any questions you have
If you got it from me you get my services where I set it all up for you and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you , helps so you understand things better and know how everything works

Tom

#6 ·
I did get it through a vendor and they are setting it up for the initial drop. but i guess i was just getting ahead of my self and not waiting for it to get here and then looking at it. Tom if I had paid enough attention I would have gotten it through you. I actually got it from FSwerks. Not sure how that all plays out. More than anything I searched SCT site to get alot of the information then I went to the vendor I have been using for alot of my other items. suspension mostly and some basic cosmetic items.

#10 ·
FSWerks is perfectly fine. That is where I got mine from. Randy will take good care of you. If you want to datalog you can let him know and he will let you know the process for it. In all honesty though you will not need to datalog as the tune he will give you will already be customized for your car. They fully test their tunes on cars and since none of them drive an automatic they even when and rented on to perfect the tune for second gen automatics.... They are a great company.

#13 ·
ok, i understand what Tom is saying. With out being plugged directly into the car that is being tuned the "box" tune that come is the XCAL3 is a proven Best guess Tune. Don't know really how else to say that. crice8 personal experience may be different than just buying the tune and dropping it in. he may have run a log strip and sent it back and allowed Randy to "tweek" the tune to make some adjustments. Making it a custom tune. now that can get very old very quick. My Grand national was Like that with the Tweek chips from Turbo Tom, that why i got into tuning in the first place.

For me coming from an HP tuners side I can do some Data logging with a wide band incorporated and i can see what my Monaro and 71 chevy (both LS powered) are doing i can see where the fuel mix is rich, i can see the the duty cycle of the injectors shift point fuel curves spark curves, MAF frequency i can see it all and i can adjust per 100 or 1000 rpm pending on the tables i am using. I have complete contorl over the engine and on some vehicles the BCM has limited control. This is why i am asking about the usability of the tunner?
I have tuned a number of cars here (texas) made minor or major in some cases modifications with the informationfrom the data log being recieved. i have only blown my stock motor up once and that was in 2007. i have a pretty good record since then.

Tom is there a upgrade software pkg that will allow me this same control that i just upload to the XCAL3 that i can take and dump into the ECU/ECM?

#14 ·
The xcal has some user adj to it , some spark , some fuel and WOT fuel should be enough unless the tune is way off

Your correct anyone that has a tune and is running just the first base tune should send there tuner a datalog and get there tune checked and adjusted to your car and your driving style

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.