Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tuning Automatic

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Blue5ive 
#1 ·
Well i got a tune for my automatic a while back , when i got the tune all i had done was the full exhaust and a shorty header, since then I have added a short ram intake and i have upgraded the coil..... and put a 65mm TB , Just wondering if there is a different tune for the added upgrades or is the tune just generic for my application ? I dont think my tune was done properly in the first place .... cause it was done by someone that isnt well liked by the focus community for tuning purposes , but any input would be great... my tune is the 91 octane tune.

#2 ·
Yes with the intake you should at least do datalog and send it to your tuner

If your tune wasnt done right did you send a datalog to your tuner so he can make adjustments and make your tune custom ? I hope is wasnt me but if it was shoot me a datalog and I can make adjustment so you like your tune , if it wasnt me then I can get you a custom tune that you will like

Tom

#3 ·
Don't worry Tom, I'm sure it wasn't you.

Not to thread jack but on an automatic tune I've heard you change some of the settings for the tranny when it comes to shifting. Was wondering what the changes were and how they affect the performance and reliability of the trans?

#4 ·
When you up the shift psi with a tune in my opinion it makes the trans safer and should last longer
When changing the shipt points and moving the shift up into the rpm there shouldnt be any ill effects to the trans
When shortening the engaugement time for when the clutches engauge this should extend the life of the clutches as there is less slippage time

All in all it should make the trans last longer when modding

Tom

#5 ·
No just to clarify for everyone it wasnt Tom , but yea I think I will do that .. I'm getting cams and cam gears next month so I might as well wait until then . Also will it matter what tuner I have? I have the xcal 2 , someone told me that I need the xcal 3 in order to do PC stuff?

#6 ·
No, you should be able to use your xcal2. I have one and it lets me datalog and it should also let you load custom tunes.

#8 ·
Also when decreasing the amount of time it takes the clutches to engage/disengage in order to shift will reduce the amount of heat generated thus increase the life of the atx. Heat is also a big factory leading to atx failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.