Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New Project: Convert to true COP and SFI

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
So in doing a little research and talking with a very knowledgeable member of another forum, it seems that it may be possible to convert the batch fire ECU (zetec) to a true sequential fuel injector firing system with very little effort. Also it should be possible to convert to sequential ignition and run the COP conversions as they are intended to be run. This will be the challenge I'm undertaking in the next month or so.

Basically you use the cylinder settings from a V8 but the PIP settings of a 4cylinder. Then you add a few pins and wiring to the ECU, which are currently unused, and route them to the injectors and coils. Basically you only have to add 4 wires, 2 injectors and 2 coils.

Routing them and making it look factory will not be a problem for me as I've removed a few wires from my main harness already and have room. For others who have stock wiring this could be an issue and I'll try to find a solution that looks clean, or show you what I've removed and why (if anyone's interested I removed all the wiring for the P/S, A/C, EGR, Factory O2 Sensors; all the way back to the ECU; I don't use any of it so I don't need the wiring).

Now my hope is that I can pull a little better MPG and make a bit more power by doing this. More MPG from not letting fuel puddle behind the valve prior to combustion and that should also yield a bit more power as the A/F mix should be more homogenous. It's just a theory at this point in time but this is one I can actually test.

See less See more
#3 ·
Risk - blow the engine up --> if I get the ignition timing is wrong (PIP settings) I could fire the ignition at the wrong crank angle and cause all sorts of havoc, but I, think, I know how to set this up. The FI stuff pretty much sets itself so long as you use the correct pins from the ECU, which is based on the standard firing order of a V8.

Far as how much HP a guy can gain, no clue. I'm shooting for gaining 0 HP. Figure set the bar low and anything I gain will make me happy. I'm more interested in gaining MPG's which I feel is the more important thing. If I can still make 200hp but use 10% less fuel to do so I'll be happy.

But I really don't know what will happen. I can just guess based on theory. And being I don't know of a single person to have done this on a EEC-V it'll be a neat project.

#4 ·
Check EPA and NHTSA websites. I think they have a study on the mpg impact of going to SFI. I think that 10% less fuel used is hopelessly optimistic. Move the decimal point one place to the left. Direct injection might get you 10%, but SFI vs batch fire, no way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.