Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SCT Datalogging 101 - Downloadable Datalog List & How-To

52K views 67 replies 25 participants last post by  ripto 
#1 · (Edited)
This will take some time to get finished , I will be posting links to download datalog list for your Yocus of Diff years and ECU codes for the ZX3 , SVT , Duratec codes

Downloadable DataLog List Files for SCT LiveLink
THESE ARE GENERIC LIST THAT WORK ON 85% OF THE FOCI IF IT SAIS IT DOES NOT MATCH YOUR ECU GO PAST THAT AND THEY SHOULD WORK TO LOG WITH

Instructions:
  1. Download & Install LiveLink from SCT to your laptop.
  2. Download the correct engine datalog file above.
  3. Connect your SCT tuning device to your laptop & ODB-II port.
  4. Open SCT LiveLink.
  5. File > Open Live Link Configuration > Select Your File > Open
  6. Click Start Data Logging to begin logging.

STFT1/stft1 : Short Term Fuel Trim 1 (1 meaning bank 1 sensor1)
Some Duratecs use STFT FINAL / stft final (choose both 1 and final if datalogging)
This should be between 1.250 max rich and .750 max lean the target is 1.000 stoich 14.7 A/F. You will never see 1.000 (unless you just started your car OR you have failed closed loop and you are now in open loop read below ) as the ECU cannot hold the A/F at 1.000/14.7 so you should be seeing roughly between 1.100 and .900 always switching . On the graph the stft1 should look like a castle top and I would post a picture of a proper working stft1

Failed closed loop (enters open loop) is when either your above 1.250 max rich or below .750max lean , the o2 sensor has failed , fuse for the o2 sensor has blown
Fuse is located under hood on Drivers side fire wall Fuse # ????(anyone)
Location :This o2 is located closest to the Cyl. head between the CAT and Cyl head

ECT / ect: Engine Coolent Temperatures
This one should be easy and tells you the engine/water temp of the engine
Location: Zetec In the Cyl head close to Intake runners 1 and 2
Location: SVT in the thermostat Housing Pass side end of Cyl Head

IAT / iat :Intake Air Temp
Measures the incoming air temperature between the filter and the Throttle body

MAF COUNTS / maf counts - MAF VOLTAGE / maf voltage
Measures the incoming air (Mass Air) to the engine in counts/voltage

Knock Retard / Knock timing adder
This shows the amount of timing retard or timing adder -2 would be 2 deg timing taken out , 2 would be the amount of timing added , Not all Foci have the ability to add timing
Zetec / SVT Knock sensor is located just below the 2,3 Cyl intake runners in the top back of the block
Duratec Knock Sensor is located on the front of the block below Cyl 2

Spark Advance / Timing
This will show the amount of timing that is going to the engine at that given RPM and load

Throttle Position Sensor / TPS Voltage / TPS Counts / TPS Absolute
This shows the amount the throttle is at , Idle would be close to 190-200 and WOT would be 850-1000
Location: TPS is located on the drivers side of the Throttle Body

Spark Source : There are MANY calculation that make up the final spark advance/timing this will tell you where the final timing calculation is coming from

Fuel Source : There are many ways to get fueling to an engine , closed loop , open loop , cold start etc. this will tell you what the ECU is using for fueling

If you are using SCT Live Link to do your datalogging and go to "Help" then to "Source Codes" it will tell you what the numbers mean that you will see in on the datalog for the Spark Source / Fuel Source

Time Stamp : At the bottom of all logging there is a timer that shows the amount of time the log has been running. It is a great help if your having an issue and you can reproduce that issue why logging to take a quick note of that exact time that way your tuner can go to that spot in time and see what's happening

What do things mean
ECT = Engine Coolent Temperature
IAT = Intake Air Temperature
WOT = Wide Open Throttle
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
STFT1 = Short Term Fuel Trim , The 1 means sensor 1 bank one you would never use 2
LTFT Long Term Fuel Trim , rarely used
RPM = Revolution Per Minute
MAF = Mass Air Flow
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ADDED TO ANY OF THESE LIST PLEASE ASK

Tom

See less See more
#4 ·
All depends on what you need the log for , If youe working with a new tune and need to log then I would have you do a 5 min cruise , WOT in 3rd gear from 2000 to 4500 then a 1 min idle all in one log

If your trying to find an issue your having then log till the issue shows a few times then note the time stamps so your tuner can see the issue easier

Tom

#6 ·
Im having another issue now.

I can log using this datalog list but my LC-1 wideband wont show as a log option in the list. If i log threw the SCT it shows the LC1 but not some of the other options in this duratec log list.

How do i add the LC1 to the "duratec-log list"?

If i try adding the LC1 before i log on the SCT, then using livelink and the PC it locks up and wont show any data while its live logging. I get an error that says no data received for 10 seconds or somthing like that.

#7 ·
When you download a list to log and have to add something to the list you will have to create a new list and check the PID you want to log, The checked PID wont show up if you need to add something else to the downloaded list I have been asking for that to be corrected for years
Just save the list where you can see it and go through the PID and check the boxes then next time you need to add something the checked boxes are there and you wont have to redo the list

Tom

#8 ·
Is this under commands, configure datalog items? The SCT needs to be plugged into the car then into the laptop to create a new list right?

Then when i make a new list it will "match the car" or what ever the warning says when it pops up?

What else can i add that will better help tune? Ide like to remove analog 1, 3 and 4 from the list.

#10 ·
Ok ive figured out how to make a new log list and it seems to work ok.

What are some other things that would be good to add to help tune the car better? Besides whats posted in the duratec log?

I have a 2.0 with FSwerks intake and 103 copper plugs thats about all ive done.

I also have a wideband, ofcorse ide add that.

#12 ·
This makes me happy. I purchased the xcal3 and tune in 2009(?) and have yet to get it to work. Datalogging issues with sct and then no hardware to log with and not knowing WHAT to log or under what conditions. Te log i had made was to long for Tom to work with apparently. I hope to finally get this working!

#14 ·
Hey Tom, I have a XCal2 and am not seeing everything listed above. Do you have a list for the earlier device? So far I have:

Coolant Temp
etc throttle pos
etc thrttle an...
intake air temp
load
maf voltage
map sensor
pedal position
short term trim (fuel)
spark

Thanks!

#15 ·
Is that list the list on the SCT device?

Ive noticed if you log on the SCT device and then transfer the recorded log over to the computer the list is missing alot of stuff.

If you log with the list Tom posted and download it, open it in livelink when you log it works better.

The best thing though is to open the log list Tom posted, hook the SCT up to the car, then a laptop to the SCT and open the list while its hooked to the cars ECU and edit the list that way. It then makes a new list for your car/ecu.

open livelink>commands>configure datalog items. It asks to connect to the ECU you say yes and it pulls up all items.

I noticed if i load the loglist Tom posted, all the items in his list are already checked and it expands the tree list in each category. SPK ADD KS 1-4 was the only thing that didnt match my car and his list but everything else did. I then went and added those and saved it as a "my car loglist" now everything matches my car and ECU

#19 ·
So I have a "Improved X3" and I'm trying to datalog my Duratec. I set it up as I'm supposed to, but I get a "Device Initialization Failed" error. Also, if I attempt On-Device datalogging, I get a "Communication Failed" error.

Is there a trick to datalogging an 09 Duratec ATX or is there a problem with my device?

#20 ·
The 09 right now has major bugs with the datalogging depending on the PID in the list you choose but no issues connectiong to the Focus

if you want to call me tonight I will try to see whats wrong , go back to your stock tune in the car and update the firmware in the xcal and make sure your running 6.4 livelink on both your xcal and laptop

Tom

#21 ·
I'll try to call you tonight Tom. The PIDs I have been trying to use are maf_counts, load, battery voltage, short term ft B1 and long term ft B1.

I'll try to update the firmware again, but it's seeming like a lost cause.

#27 ·
Tom,i still havent done the datalog you needed me to email you.

can you please explain to me again what i have to do so i can take care of this thanks.

i need it posted since im kinda slow at retaining things i dont do on a daily basis.lol

thanks for all the help,your tune has been awesome! on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.