Votes: 183 63.5%
  • fswerks

Votes: 73 25.3%
  • other: who did it? pros/cons

Votes: 32 11.1%

tune ,who to go with

593K views 227 replies 147 participants last post by  Dago 
#1 · (Edited)
nlw BEFORE this turns into a full out brawl im sure me and all the moderators on this site wont have any bashing of this thread so before i post my questions and concerns think before you type!!!!!!! i know this is gonna set ppl off on a tangent i just want your experience and THATS ALL!!!

now i would like ppls pros and cons between toms tune
and fswerks tune or other tunes

what you liked/disliked about the TUNE NOT THE TUNER (eg tom and randy)

i dont want fingers pointed or anything i just wanna no how your tune ran and your pros and cons to the tune if youv had both

i will also make this a poll so to refrain from bashing you can also pick on the poll

now i know tom is the "home tuner" so hell have favourtisim just be honesnt AND KEEP IT CLEAN [slap]

EDIT: mods if this gets out of hand close it please

#2 ·
I have had tom's tune for over two years now. I have had him adjust it a bit, my hanging idle didn't want to go away. After it warms up the car likes to lope at Idle and every once in a while the car will cut off when coming up to a stop light, but I believe that it does that just because he got rid of the hanging Idle. I love the tune. It doesn't give you much if any more power, but it gives you more power lower in the rpm range giving you better driveability and more fun.

#3 ·
I voted "Other", I had Ray at McNews Automotive dyno tune my '07. As for Pros vs Cons, it's all Pros with McNews. They have the BEST customer service, do great with not only the Zetec, SPI, and Duratec but they do Mustangs, Rangers, and other Ford Products. Ray and his team is straight-up honest with every single one of their customers. They are an Old School Focus Tuner, and did many "McNews Edition" Foci for local dealerships back in the day. They have tuned many Foci, probably easily over 100 under their belt, and to my knowledge have NOT blown one up yet. They are also a Ford Racing Dealer and have other connections as far as Focus Parts go. Ask anyone in the Mid-Atlantic that has had their Foci tuned by them and they will say the same.

+1 for McNews Automotive.

#5 ·
I Vote Toms Tune LOL I have had it sence 2000 on many Foci both ZX3 and SVT and love it

Reasons why
Tom gives free tune updates as you add more mods for both his NA and FI tunes , Does not charge extra for looking at datalogs

Tom Tunes with both Diablosport and SCT Giving his customers more options to choose from

Tom

#143 ·
Reasons why
Tom gives free tune updates as you add more mods for both his NA and FI tunes , Does not charge extra for looking at datalogs

Tom Tunes with both Diablosport and SCT Giving his customers more options to choose from
I had toms tune in my SVT Focus years ago, and when I came back into a Focus ST I had NO DOUBT whos tune would be running my car! I have never had problems with bucking, stumbling, etc with any of his tunes, THEY WORK! And seriously, FREE N/A UPDATES?! thats dedication.

Tom is also a fountain of information, and he's willing to share. Ask him anything and he will respond within the day.

I personally thank Tom for everything he does for this site and everyone thats a part of it!

#11 ·
Well, this was a tough one for me seeing as though I've had good tuning experiences with both FSW and F-P.

My first setup was an all motor setup with a FocusSport head package with Kent cams and all of the bolt ons. Randy did the tuning for this setup and as far as I can remember it was pretty good.

My second setup was a FocusSport supercharger Stage 3 kit running about 11psi or so and Randy also did the tuning on this kit as well. This tune was also pretty good. Both this tune and the all motor tune was done with a draw-though MAF setup.

My current setup is a custom Xios turbo kit with a F-P built motor running up to 18psi on the street and up to 25psi at the track, Ford Racing intake manifold and a lot of other goodies. This kit is tuned by Tom and we are in the process of upgrading to a bigger turbo very soon. I am very happy with the tune. BTW, all of my tuning was done remotely because I live in the Bahamas but I will be on the dyno shortly.

Now it's kind of difficult to compare the tunes between Randy and Tom because they were on completely different setups and it's been a while since I've had Randy's tune. However, I do remember the car idling better when I switched from the Supercharger to Turbo setup and went from draw-though to blow-through MAF. Can't really say for sure if it's because of the hardware of software (tune) though. Overall, I very pleased with how the car is running now with the current tune and look forward to pushing the car to 500whp with my new turbo. I have had many changes with my current setup and all of my adjustments were done FREE of charge by Tom and I am very greatful for that. I sometimes feel bad for using up so much of his time tuning my car.........especially after giving me such a good deal on the initial tuning cost WAY BACK in the day. Also, the continuous support when I need to ask questions is invaluable. Another thing I like about Tom is that he tends to tune on the safe side and that's always a plus in my books [thumb]

OH, I gave Tom my vote.......for the said reasons.

#12 ·
I like FSwerks they seems to know what there are doing. Im actually getting ready to drop 2k with them soon ;)

#13 ·
Toms remote tuning for me. :)))))

One of the big plus's for me was that when you pay for Toms remote tune you get free updates. As in my situation i completely changed my whole turbo setup basically and when i put the new setup on i didnt have to pay the 450-550 to have my setup tuned again i just got on aim with Tom and we started tuning. Toms really easy to get ahold of if you ever have any questions or if you need anything looked over or changed. The drivability on my car is spot on, litterally runs like a stock car just with more power ;), Also I can tell you on my car Tom tune has been really good, every monday, wednesday, saturday, and sunday night it literally gets beat the crap out of and its still together ( somehow lol ) but i will not be going to another tuner.

#14 ·
It might be a stupid question or my laziness but is there a web side that you can go to check what Toms got to offer??

#18 ·
Tom's tunes!!!!!!

I DEF choose Tom's Tunes. He has worked with me weeks straight on getting my focus running smoothly and advised me on all the mods and requirements that i should get. His tune has made my car run so smooth and has great torque and power, also i know its running safetly because he told me what to watch out for.
Thank You Tom

#20 ·
I'll have to go with Toms tuning. Heres my reason. As some of you know my first tune was with DB performance. Really crappy piece of work there. At 3K rpms the rpms would hesitate, at 5K+ the power would fall off. I then got talking to tom. After the first couple hours of datalogging and sending a file or two over e-mail my car was running alot better. It was drivable again. We didn't start working on being able to boost until a couple days after that. SCT had a bug is the software he was able to work out. After that was fix we got into boosting my car. The power is so much better. I can pull all the way to redline (factory rev limiter). The hardest part of the entire datalogging was me trying to hook up my AEM wideband to my Xcal 3.

#21 ·
Yeah Tom's tune...been in the process on remote tuning my 09 over the past couple of days. Tom is easy to get a hold of, willing to help you with any issues, and I did notice an increase in power and we're not done yet.

#22 ·
First time I required a tune, I had installed the Roush, which was supposed to be bolt-on with a computer flashed included, but once I dynoed it at a steeda meet it only made 146 HP; I was upset to say the least. I had looked around an decided to give him a call. I had never taked to him at this point and hes already helping me over the phone on how to make the car safe to drive until he flew to tampa, Fl and met up with three foci, including me, tuned all cars in a weekend and I ended up with 248HP after he tuned it.

I beat the hell outta the car until I decided to go balls out and build it, I set it up and he drove to South Florida and picked up the car, trailered it to NC, built it, tuned it, tested it and trailered it back to me in Fl with a whopping 413HP modified and built Roush manifold running a Comp turbo.

Even if you have a problem, because shit always break when you race cars, he will guide you through the datalogging so he can read the factors and better assist you on what to do or look for. So, even if hes not there, it's almost like he IS!

I have never tuned with Fswerks, so I can't tell you bad or good thing about them, but I have dealt with Tom and will never go anywhere else for tunning because of the GREAT service!

I have said this many times, but Thank you Tom

Rich

#23 ·
Well I don't have any experiance with FSW, sorry, but I have Toms Diablosport tune in my fairly stock SVT. It is the best thing I have ever done for the car. Hanging revs gone, stumbling & surging gone, no more lug at take off in 1st. The tune just really smoothed out the engine through the whole powerband, my engine just purrs along now I love it. Oh and push the TC button and traction control is gone. The tune overall really was night and day for me.

#25 ·
ok I Talk with Tom for a sec and I like him :D he will be my to go guy for sure. Thank you for advices Im still a noob here :p

#26 ·
Other...Hypnotic Illusions (aka-Wayne's Tune).
Been on the car for quite a while now, and it's still going strong.
Too bad Wayne closed up shop though. [:(]

I had Tom's tune for a bit, but it was mainly to try and help him solve the problem of the non-defeatable traction control on the late build SVTF's.
He sent me a unit for no charge to test out some different parameters for him. [thumb]
Unfortunately, we never did get it defeated so I sent the Diablo back to him.

#28 ·
I vote Tom. Remote tunning is also easy but it helps you learn alot about your car instead of just sticking it on the dyno and letting the tunner do it. Tom will actually go over the log with you down to the exact timestamp. Also dont let me leave out that if you ever get any extra mods his fee is a one time fee. He is quick and straight to the point. From personal experience Tom not only tunes my car but he will talk to you for hours about whatever you want to talk about. He has also stayed up numerous time till 1am tunning my car Just to get me home too see the wife. I would never go with anybody but Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.