Things I Learned from My Remote Tuning Experience - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63700
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 CarDemon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Things I Learned from My Remote Tuning Experience

Over the past month I’ve been working with Tom on a remote tune (using an SCT X3 and LiveLink software) for my JRSC w/ BBK. I have been totally impressed with Tom’s expertise and the tune has absolutely blown me away! If you haven’t gotten a tune from Tom (1turbofocus), get one.

Here’s what I learned (or should have learned earlier) that will hopefully help someone embarking down this road.

1. Learn how to data log BEFORE you begin the remote tuning process. Unfortunately, I decided to try to learn as I went and it slowed things down dramatically. This should include (at the bare minimum) the following:
  • Familiarize yourself with all the PIDs (parameter identifiers) that can potentially be monitored through the tuning process. Know where each PID is located in the list and understand the subtle differences between each one. There is even a difference between a PID that is capitalized and one that is lower case, so this is extremely important.

• Ask your tuner which PIDs he is most likely to have you log (ahead of time) so you can set up AND SAVE the configuration before you even begin. This will assure that you are using the proper PIDs and will also make it easier to bring up the correct list as you perform subsequent data logs (you’ll probably be doing MANY).

• Make sure you’re using the same software “View” as your tuner. Unfortunately I didn’t do this ahead of time and it led to a lot of confusion. In LiveLink you can control how many characters each PID is identified with (Long Names, 16 Character Names, 8 Character Names). If you’re not both using the same “View,” the PIDs look and read differently on the screen. For instance, Tom would ask for “KNK SEN RET” (a 16 character identifier) but I couldn’t find it because my “View” was set for Long Names. He must have thought I was blind!
2. Get a wideband A/F gauge and make sure you’ve got it PROPERLY running through your data logging software. With the X3, this first requires that you properly connect it to your laptop via a modified firewire cable. There are a number of posts that show you how to do this but get it done BEFORE you begin the tuning process. Once you’ve got it connected, you’ll need to assign it the correct analog formula (each A/F brand has its own). Don’t even think about tuning until this is all set up and working properly.

3. Follow your tuner’s instructions EXPLICITLY. This is important for two reasons. First, heeding the tuner’s instructions will speed up the tuning process. Second, the process is much more complex (and potentially risky to your engine) than I thought. Let me give you just a few personal examples:
  • Tom would tell me to “clear the battery” before running certain logs and PID configurations. By this he meant that I needed to disconnect the negative cable from the battery so the ECU would properly re-set itself. I tried to skip this step a couple times and the logs suffered as a result.

• Tom would tell me to do a WOT (wide open throttle) run from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm. Instead of going completely WOT, I was only giving it 80 or 90% throttle. This threw off every other parameter on the ECU and the log turned out to be completely useless. WOT means WOT!

• I changed octane grades in the middle of the tuning process. This required me to put the tuning process on hold until I ran tank out and re-fueled using the intended octane grade.

• I ran boost before Tom told me to run boost. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. Don’t even think about 1 psi until your tuner tells you that it’s safe. Did I mention that this was DUMB?!!
4. Use the communication method that your tuner requests. Sometimes you’ll be communicating by regular e-mail. Other times you’ll be using instant messaging (Tom uses AIM). And there might be times where a phone call will be best. Good communication is essential!

I’m sure there are many things that could be added to this list (and Tom might even chime in here) but I believe these items will certainly make the tuning process faster and easier for you and your tuner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53618
What I Drive: '02 Ranger XLT- '08.5 MS3 GT

FF Reputation: 7 SVT_ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think this qualifies to be a sticky...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: 2004 Silver SVT

Points 5,499, Level 47
Points: 5,499, Level: 47 Points: 5,499, Level: 47 Points: 5,499, Level: 47
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
great tips. also +1 for sticky.
1988 F150 Custom
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
Old 11-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
I Fab Too Much

Fan#: 42814
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Gray ZX3

Points 14,483, Level 78
Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78 Points: 14,483, Level: 78
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 20 Roushturboedzx3 Great Standing Member
YES sticky this
I may not be the baddest, but the baddest dont Fu** with me
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50334
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 1,656, Level 23
Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23 Points: 1,656, Level: 23
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 focus311 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Very valuable write-up. Thank you.
2004 Sonic Blue SVTF #0602 of 1978 Powerworks 2004-2011 (RIP)

2002 Sonic Blue SVTF #0186 of 4788 (purchased from Bumpnzx3 (Josh) in 2011 with ~8,000 original miles)
Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63700
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 CarDemon Good Standing Member
It’s been 4 months since I first embarked down the remote tuning path. I continue to be impressed by Tom’s expertise and dedication to this technology. His remote tune is by far the best single investment I have made since I began modifying my Focus. The process provides for incredibly precise tuning while offering unsurpassed convenience, flexibility, and personal attention.

Let me give an example of how the remote tuning process recently benefitted me: When I originally had my Focus remotely tuned, I had a JRSC and Comp stage 1 cams installed in a stock head that had 103,000 miles on it. The valvetrain was worn pretty badly but the tune really brought it to life. Then, last week I purchased a Ford Racing head that was ported, polished, and had upgraded valves, springs and retainers. I was forced to return to my stock cams because one of my Comps snapped in half during the installation process (don’t ask how!). Obviously, neither my last tune nor the stock tune would have worked with these modifications.

This would have been tragic if I had to wait for a tuner to get the vehicle into a shop and/or a dyno. All I had to do, though, was shoot Tom an e-mail telling him what I had changed and he walked me through the process. I was up and running within 24 hours of recording my first log (this was huge because my Focus is my daily drive). Tom then spent an afternoon further dialing in the tune. The best news: The updated tune didn’t cost me any further expense. Subsequent modifications like this are covered as part of the initial cost. (I don’t think FS Werks handles it like that but I could be wrong).

Obviously, I continue to be sold on the remote tuning process! I’d encourage you to check it out.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2742
What I Drive: 2002 black zx3

FF Reputation: 13 mdgonzo101 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I will be going with Tom's remote tune once my ducks are in order. About to buy the AEM UEGO AFR and a boost gauge to make tuning a little easier. Tom should be hearing from me again soon.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65119
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SVT

Points 1,991, Level 26
Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26 Points: 1,991, Level: 26
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 mcrcracer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I will be getting one of those tunes with my tax returns, do you need to go through all though steps with an N/A motor?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.