Downstream o2 Sensor Question - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 68,826, Level 100
Points: 68,826, Level: 100 Points: 68,826, Level: 100 Points: 68,826, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 93%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%
FF Reputation: 159 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
If you will IM me hpdyno on AOL or email me I will help you with what to log and look over the logs for you to give you my opinion

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 704-249-3745
Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elder 1turbofocus
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 9,671, Level 66
Points: 9,671, Level: 66 Points: 9,671, Level: 66 Points: 9,671, Level: 66
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thanks Tom, that'd be great. I probably won't be able to get to my Xcal for a day or two, but is there anything special I should know ahead of time? Only thing I've used it for so far is to scan/clear codes and flash.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #23
FF Affiliate

Points 68,826, Level 100
Points: 68,826, Level: 100 Points: 68,826, Level: 100 Points: 68,826, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 93%
FF Reputation: 159 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Naaa logging is very straight forward

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #24
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 9,671, Level 66
Points: 9,671, Level: 66 Points: 9,671, Level: 66 Points: 9,671, Level: 66
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So, this doesn't have much to do with this thread, but I figured I'd post here anyway, in case someone has an answer to my problem.

I was setting my Xcall II up for logging (which required updating the firmware), and something went awry in the process. The LCD on the device said "SCT Bootloader" and something else under it, and then it froze there. Live Update spat out an error at me, and now nothing happens when I plug the Xcall into a USB port OR to the OBD port. No lights, sounds. Nothing.

It appears that Live Update successfully erased the ROM on the device, and then failed to flash the new firmware after, leaving it bricked. That's my thought at least....any ideas? I emailed SCT on Saturday, but I thought I'd see what everyone thought...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #25
FF Affiliate

Points 68,826, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 93%
Call them 407-774-2447

Tom

Customer Support
Email:

Site:

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
GT40 all the things!

Fan#: 59330
What I Drive: 04 ZX3, 12 Hatch

Points 14,679, Level 78
Points: 14,679, Level: 78 Points: 14,679, Level: 78 Points: 14,679, Level: 78
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 15 disciplerocks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Make sure you do all that kind of stuff indoors or bring it out to car get it done then take it back in. I have noticed my xcal will not work in cold weather. It freezes or only loads partial data. And by cold I mean below 60.
02 SVT Future Project
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #27
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

Points 13,955, Level 76
Points: 13,955, Level: 76 Points: 13,955, Level: 76 Points: 13,955, Level: 76
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 273 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I would log the front o2 and see what it is reading as well as TPS and load anything more then doing that is all speculation
I cant count how many times ive told people this...

Good luck with SCT.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #28
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 352770
What I Drive: 2004, CD Silver SVT #859 of 1978

Points 69, Level 1
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 3 Mikey95hd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtguy88 View Post
My question is this - does the downstream o2 sensor have any bearing on how the car times itself? I just installed a high flow cat, but I know my old downstream sensor is bad. I plugged the hole in the new cat where the second o2 sensor would go, and simply unplugged the harness for it.

Now I'm running WAY rich (~180 miles on this tank of gas...), but only at times. I'm getting a CEL for the second o2 sensor, which is to be expected. However, I always thought that only the first o2 sensor was used for air/fuel adjustments, which makes me wonder why I'm getting the misfire, as the first sensor is still there. I thought the front sensor may have gotten damaged, but I'm only getting a CEL for the downstream one, not for the front.

Can unplugging the downstream o2 throw the computer off that much? Figured I'd get a better chance of a reply here than in the tech chat.
I was under my car today changing the dogbone with the VF Engineering one, what a pain this is becoming.

Well got the motor mount today and the Ford book says I should be able to pull the two bolts for the mount and be able to pull the motor mount. Well those two bolt's weren't a problem, also read the following thread of FF.

"How To" - VF Engineering Rear Mount-Install Pics

So removed the two motor mount bolts completely but the bracket bolts won't move at all, so decided to spray them with some PB Blaster and let it soak. At this point tried using a 13 socket and a cheater bar on my 3/8 drive, end up breaking the Snap on socket and still can't get the bolt's loose.

The motor mount won't come out with just removing the motor mount bolts.

Any suggestions at this point I might have to pull the Cat to get more room to be able to get to the two bolts, can't get a 1/2 drive with socket in there, and bought another 3/8 drive 12 point 13 socket, moves the whole engine and trans but won't break the bolt loose.

Going to let it soak over night and see if that helps.

Also since I was already there decided to look at the rear O2 sensor since it was changed by the owner before me, and If I didn't know better I would say it is bent away from the half shaft, so I'm pretty sure the right half shaft must have hit it and bent it away from the shaft, don't see any marking on the shaft side or on the sensor, and I am assuming it is still working, since it passed smog in February, I live in the Emissions Nazi State...Also isn't there suppose to be a heat shield on the bottom of the cat? I see three bolts going into it from the bottom

Bottom line get a tune from Tom and have him shut it off, put a Wideband AEM gauge in your car and put the sensor in the hole for the 2nd O2 sensor and have Tom tune it with the Wideband and turn off the sensor. I'm sure if you hide the gauge in your glove box, they would never know that the sensor is a wideband, not the narrow band that is stock and only controls the temperature of the cat. Or you could wire the old sensor to think it's there when it's not, a capacitor and a resistor will do the trick, and put out your CEL....

With Tom's tune your car will run better and is probably the best mod you can do to these cars, plus if you do any upgrades or mods you get NA tune updates as you progress with your bolt on parts and you can data log and he would be able to tell you exactly what's going on with your car, In my opinion his offerings are priceless.

Last edited by Mikey95hd; 05-12-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #29
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,659, Level 100
Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Will it come out from between the motor side plates by rocking the engine?

If you don't have to pry/hammer too much that may be the trick to avoid loosening the plate. Twist it out of the way once out from between.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #30
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 352770
What I Drive: 2004, CD Silver SVT #859 of 1978

Points 69, Level 1
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 3 Mikey95hd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Will it come out from between the motor side plates by rocking the engine?

If you don't have to pry/hammer too much that may be the trick to avoid loosening the plate. Twist it out of the way once out from between.
I've tried getting it out when I pull on the bolt the engine moves forward towards the bumper, it doesn't want to come out from the motor side plates by rocking it either way, it almost clears the support bracket from the smaller side of the mount. WD 40's post shows moving the bracket, and If I could get the bolt out it would be a piece of cake. Then again the top bracket bolt won't budge either.

At this point I decided to get a fresh start at it in the morning, it's dark now and thinking of away to get that thing out. What should have been 20 minutes is turning out to be a lot more. Wish I had my air tools, it would probably come out with my air wrench...

I think it's time for a nice cold one...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.