D.I.Y. MAF Extender - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46146
What I Drive: 2000 Frost Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Legendary_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
D.I.Y. MAF Extender

You know.. I've read these forums for some time, and don't say alot.. so I figure I would for once contribute something useful. For all you DIY people out there I got the ticket for you when pegging your maf or getting too close for comfort. Diablo makes a nice product called the MAFia, but if you know anything about electronics all it is.. is a over-priced voltage divider. You can make your own for less than $5.00.. Won't have the pretty box with the devil on it.. but who gives a shit!

All you need is two resistors of the right spec based off this calculator:
http://www.globalspec.com/calculator...oltage-divider

Basically the way it works is by Ohm's law.. you are resisting current between the signal wire from the maf and the ground (negitive) and sending it back out to the ECU. By resisting current.. the voltage will drop! This is essentially Ohm's law.. sort of.. but thats all you really need to know for this application. This is not a clamp BTW.. A clamp cannot work for a MAF car.. this scales out the whole voltage range from 0 to 5 volts just like the MAFia.

You can also replace one of the resistors with a variable resistor.. aka a potentiometer.. and then you can adjust how much to scale the voltage out... Now it is the MAFia.. only a 100 and some bucks cheaper!

Here are some diagrams I drew up for everyone (crude but they work):

Hope you enjoy.. saved me money, and works great!.. Have any questions just post back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #2

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Having no idea what the mafia did, I don't know what this will do. Tell us what the advantage is here? It's interesting and I would do it if I knew what the heck it would do for me. Great work.... I think?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10682
What I Drive: 04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 Damage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
The mafia is used when the MAF has maxed out and can no longer tell the ECM the amount of air flow going to the engine. This would only occur in a boosted application. As far as this units advantage over the Mafia it would possibly save money if it was constructed correctly and worked properly. But it does have the potential for problems, if the resistors you use are cheap(Most circuit board style resistors would not last long if they are just taped up some where in an engine compartment), if it isnt protected correctly, if your solder joint breaks etc.....you will run into problems. You also would have to modify your existing cable to get this to work, which some wouldnt like doing. I would prefer to just buy the Mafia and be done with it, but it is something that some might try and it is a pretty good idea.
Tuned by Tom
Cluchmasters clutch/torsen diff
Old 06-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46146
What I Drive: 2000 Frost Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Legendary_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Damage those are good points.. for the best results the person should put the device in a plastic project box.. which would add another $2.00 to the cost. Insulate it with silicon or whatever, and it'll be close to bullet-proof. Basically what diablo does.. and as for the resistors... the ones you buy at radioshack are the same ones that are in every other electronic device you own..including the multi-meters they use to test and build the same devices I'm speaking of.. they're longevity has been proven.. This leaves us with the point that some people don't like cutting wires.. and some don't like saving money.. but if they have the guts to put on their own turbo kit, but won't cut one wire.. they shouldn't be doing the latter.. But ultimately the decision is theirs.. save money or don't..
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool, didn't know about that. Thanks for the explanations.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47383
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 24 afraziaaaa Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Silicon insulation might work as a protectant. Otherwise sounds like an ESD nightmare.

I think most wrenchers are not so electrically savvy.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10682
What I Drive: 04 ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 Damage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_ZX3 View Post
Damage those are good points.. for the best results the person should put the device in a plastic project box.. which would add another $2.00 to the cost. Insulate it with silicon or whatever, and it'll be close to bullet-proof. Basically what diablo does.. and as for the resistors... the ones you buy at radioshack are the same ones that are in every other electronic device you own..including the multi-meters they use to test and build the same devices I'm speaking of.. they're longevity has been proven.. This leaves us with the point that some people don't like cutting wires.. and some don't like saving money.. but if they have the guts to put on their own turbo kit, but won't cut one wire.. they shouldn't be doing the latter.. But ultimately the decision is theirs.. save money or don't..
Insulating it and putting it in a box would definetly help. If I didnt already have all of my stuff this is something I might have tried. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Tuned by Tom
Cluchmasters clutch/torsen diff
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52592
What I Drive: 1999, Black, Zetec Cougar

Points 320, Level 6
Points: 320, Level: 6 Points: 320, Level: 6 Points: 320, Level: 6
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 cbman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have considered doing something like this since my 80mm LMAF is hitting 900 counts. This might have something to do with my suck-through setup that has a filter attached right to the MAF.

Anyway I see some issues with just using the voltage divider. In a perfect world the two-resistor divider would work fine, but in reality the maf output is going to have a small resistance and the analog input channel on the ECU is going to have a high resistance. So, the two resistors have to be large enough that the MAF output resistance is insignificant, and they have to be small enough that the signal input resistance is insignificant.

A balance could probably be found between the two. However, adding a simple Op-Amp would solve the impedance matching issues. I could draw up the circuit if anyone wants.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66625
What I Drive: Duratec Focus

FF Reputation: 3 gemini47 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
very cool write up if this works correctly! i guess nobody tried it yet?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 55,015, Level 100
Points: 55,015, Level: 100 Points: 55,015, Level: 100 Points: 55,015, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
FF Reputation: 155 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Why not just buy the Diablo Mafia for 125-130.00 and be done with it ,Is all this really worth the cost of an engine

I could see it if we were talking about a 500.00 - 1000.00 part

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.