Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Average age of SVT owners?

46K views 292 replies 213 participants last post by  jwgstang 
#1 ·
I am deciding whether to buy a used 2002 SVT. This one came to Europe (where I live) and main reasons for concern are spare parts and (to some extent) fuel consumption. I have driven Ford Fiesta so far and it has been reliable and good car to me, but I need stronger car for more travelling.

Another decision that I am making here is the choice whether to live a sporty life (SVT) or retire to normal, economical (jap-diesel) life which everyone else seems to be suggesting. I am 29 and I would be giving 50% of my savings for that SVT where I can buy a jap-diesel for 30%.

So what is your age and your view on SVT?

#2 ·
I am 26. I love the SVT, but I think fuel is going to get you. It takes 91+ octane, and I really don't get that great of mileage. The best I ever see is 25, with a tune (I haven't tried the highway tune yet).

The car is a lot of fun though.

Don't buy a Jap car though. There are plenty of other good options. What about a SKoda?

#3 ·
36, was 34 when I bought it........ they are fun to drive... especially after the turbo[thumb]

#170 ·
You're absolutely right. If you drive sensibly you can achieve decent mpg rating. I do most of my driving in the streets, and I still get about 23 miles around town. But oddly enough, not that much better on the highway -- maybe 26 or so; however, I do have to confess that I tend to have a heavier foot on the interstates. LOL! That might have something to do with. (I do love to hear the roar of the exhaust.)

And, btw, I bought my focus in '03 when I was 58.

Boxcar

#7 ·
birth certificate says that I'm 34
wife says that I'm 16

I love my SVTf, but the way fuel costs are in Europe if you are concerned about gas mileage you should probably get a diesel.

The cost of a litre of gas/Euro over there works out to be somewhere between $4 and $5 per gallon.

#8 ·
KesTrel said:
Theres an SVT in serbia ?

Yes it is the only one in the country and came here recently on a cargo ship :) It is a beautiful car and I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

I am glad there are lots of folks in their thirties enjoying the SVT (although a need to feel like 18 yo is obvious :)

But as many of you say fuel costs can be problem. We have only 95 octane fuel here so it will probably burn some more then it does there. Also the fuel here is little over $4 /gallon converted (how much is it there?). And so on..

.. and then I think of the focus svt again and all those bad thougts go away :)

Other point is that the car has rebuilt title. I went to service and they said only the right front wing had been worked on.

#9 ·
make sure you get a tune for the 95 octane then (mo' powwa) :)

You'll find the average age is around upper 20's/lower 30's (younger folks want the big fast cars that get them in trouble).

#10 ·
I'm 19 and i just got my SVTF about a month ago and love it. The gas mileage is great, as well as the power, but especially the handling. Couldn't ask for anything better![thumb]

#12 ·
24 here. I love the car and get about 28mpg city. The tune helped a bit in that regard.

I would have to call bullshit on that dealership. They say only the front wing was worked on? Bullshit. If that was true it would't have a rebuilt title on it. Most likely it had frame damage, and could be a shady repair job (probably why it was exported in the first place). A car must be a write off to earn itself a rebuilt title, so I would suggest avoiding this car.

#13 ·
I'm 22, and officially $10,000 in debt. Biggest purchase I've made so far besides all the money I've dropped into my college education. I haven't regretted the decision at all. The fuel economy seems to vary with each person, but if you drive it normally, you should expect an average of 25 mpg with the potential of up to 30 mpg on highways.

With the cost of gas and whatnot, I think you just need to sit down and calculate what a longterm budget will be for the car. Try and get the cost of the car down since it has a rebuilt title. And remember this, you only live once so don't be afraid to live.

G
#14 ·
I am 22 as well, similar debt situation.

I love the car, it is much more fun than the 1989 and 1992 Nissan Maximas that I previously owned. Even more fun than the 1994 Ford Thunderbird. I do think it is comparable to the 1998 SVT Contour that my father loans me once in a while, but all things aside i love it!!

As far as gas concerns are, you should have a blast since you can advance the timing for 95 octane. I seem to get 20mpg with very aggressive Boston driving, and 35mpg on relaxed long highway cruises (cruise control set at 70ish).

I would say go for it, but make sure it just isnt a SVT body kit on the car, could be a fake...

-Brian

#16 ·
27, 25 when I bought it. Love it to pieces. A very good car for a driver with a more "mature" enthusiasm for driving.

BS on the rebuilt title for so little damage. Even if they weren't lying, and I am sure they are, you would find it exceptionally hard to sell when you move on with that title history.

I have to admit I probably wouldn't have bought an ST170 if I lived in Europe. I'd probably go for a Renault Clio Cup if I were determined to get a hot hatch that's economical, but there are about 50 other slightly more used cars I would rather have for the same price...

#18 ·
31 here and wouldn't have any other car. Love the SVT Focus! Thing is IMO you have to prepare yourself for the maintenance and eccentric nature of a high performing vehicle. If you want a car that you can put gas in and go year after year with little else it might not be the greatest choice.

#20 ·
im 20, i love my car, perfect size for me. holds everthing i need it too. outstanding performance when i want it, and really good gas milage when im nice. got about 30-32mpg on the highway last time

#21 ·
I am 39 and LOVE my SVTF!!! As stated above, if it is titled as "rebuilt" or "Salvaged", I would stear clear of it! It will more likely than not be a troublesome vehicle IMO. For example a friend of mine had a 1987 Buick Grand National and he got T-Boned by someone that ran a red light, It was fixed but the car was never the same again. It had electrical problems and the alignment was never right after the accident and he had a hard time selling it even though it was a Grand National. Buyer Beware!

On another note, you could take it to a shop that inspects and appraises vehicles and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb and get their opinion on the vehicle if you are that interested in it.

#22 ·
31 and have owned my svt for almost a year now. No regrets...has been pretty reliable to me and is a blast to drive. I never get tired of climbing into the seat and while it does run 91 out here...its not all that bad. I can drive nicely and get upwards of 31-32mpg (high altitude helps a little with that)...but if I mash the gass alot, I am looking at the upper 20's in mileage

#23 ·
23, Love the car, hate the maker (NA FORD). If this was a ST170 I think I'd be even happier because it's not made in North america (AKA: Mexico) when the quality seems to be lower. Just make sure you get a new ECU flash and read up on all the TSB's this car has. With that said it's got good gas milege 25 mpg(town) 28 highway when working properly.

#24 ·
I am 35, I love my SVT, I really didnt go looking for just ran across it. As for the mileage, I have no idea how everyone is getting those kind of numbers? I am getting about 20 around town and 24-26 Highway! Either I am still enjoying th throttle too much or I have a seriously bad tune. I even put the Focus Sport Cool Flo on to try and improve the milage a bit, but no luck.

#25 ·
Yeah, I don't get great mileage, but I do rev the piss out of it. Of course, it's only because the darn thing loves to do it.

#26 ·
I'm 22, 21 when I bought it.

It's a maintenance nightmare, I bought it new for reliable transportation because I didn't know any better.

I'm regretting not buying a used SVTF for mods/tracking and another used car for daily driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.