Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New to the svt

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  A Focused Family 
#1 ·
so I just picked up a 2003 5 door svt with 117k yesterday. been searching for months and finally got one. now I don't know a whole lot about them I. the motor knocks on cold start up and at higher rpm. has a cold air intake that sits in the front bumper, pretty sure it sucked up some water. my question is ive been looking for engine parts and don't see any svt specific parts so what engine do I need to buy parts for. thanks for all the help.

#2 ·
[welcome] to FF! The SVT uses a 2 liter dohc motor. Village Ford, a sponsor here, can help you with knowledge and good prices. You can also check with Steve @ Tasca Auto Group, a sponsor on FJ.
If the age of the timing belt assembly (belt and tensioners/pulleys) is unknown, you need to get a replacement ASAP. As you probably know, a broken or jumped timing belt will have disastrous consequences. Good luck, and post pics of your new SVTF.

#3 ·
Welcome!

Post up some pics. Timing belt, water pump, etc are always priority #1 if you can't confirm when it was last changed. It's an interference motor and you'll kill it if the belt breaks. Plenty of threads on here to help any SVT owner and tons of good folks to help out us noobs too!

My silver SVT has the AEM intake and I don't drive it in the winter. I'm not an expert plus I'd have to hear it, but it sounds like a rod bearing by your description.

If you drive this car a lot I recommend you get a short ram intake or return it to stock. Stock SVT parts are getting hard to find. I ended up buying another SVT for parts.

Matt at Speedway Recyclers is a great source for used SVT parts too.

The Buy Sell Trade (BST) is also a good place to find SVT stuff.

CHEERS! [cheers]

#5 ·
thanks guys .the guy I bought it from said the t-belt had already been done, but If i rebuild the engine ill put a new one on it anyway. started it today and knock is getting worse and definately bottom end. checked the oil and was way overfilled and smelled like it had gas in it. ill try to upload the vid of engine running. plan on tryin to get another engine so I can drive it while I rebuild the engine.

#7 ·
For a basic do it yourself clevit bearings, fram seals and gaskets, and all arp hardware is about 750$ Now if you need rods and crank it can add 100-300 depending on good finds. Do your homework and ask questions, couple guys on here have my cell and I don't mind helping at pretty much anytime of day.

#20 ·
Any build thread is awesome to me and I'll bet most of the other guys enjoy them too. We especially like pictures by the way lol. [poke]

I started one last year. All I did was take a neglected SVT and returned it to original condition (except for a few mild mods). It's cool to go back and look at what I started with and how nice it turned out. [twothumbs]

Good luck and will start following yours.

What color is the interior and have you gotten the build # yet?

[cheers]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.