Focus Fanatics Forum banner

short throw shifter

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  whitey5421 
#1 ·
who has the better shifter

#2 ·
Who's ever is cheapest lol. Before going with a short throw shifter make sure all your shifter bushings are in good shape or just replace them since they are pretty cheap. If you don't you'll have trouble getting it into reverse. Out of all the SVT members locally I like the way the CFM adjustable one feels, of course the SVT that has that also has the shifter weight removed but with added washers to make up half the weight of the stock weight. That could play a roll in how it feels. I think I have the Steeda STS but I can't be for sure as I got it off a local members car, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Whatever shifter brand you decide to go with just know you'll be making a good decision over the stock one.

#5 ·
I've had the steeda and cfm installed inmjne I prefer the cfm simply because you can adjust it to be about 1-1.5 inches shorter than what the steeda is. Outside of that they are very similar in feel and are both way better than stock and one of the best bang for the buck mods imo

#9 ·
Not quite. The fulcrum is the ball part, the modding would have to happen below. To make a STS for the SVT you would have to extend the shifter below the ball (x amount of mm). The aftermarket shifters come with a spacer, unless you have a machine shop the average DIYer cant make this. But I think (this part sounds right in my head) cutting, raising, and re-welding the shifter pedestal on the base (same x amount of mm?) would achieve the same thing.

Here's an illustration.

#10 ·
Both are well made parts. That said I have the Steeda unit in my 02 and the cfm in my 04. The shifts feel shorter and tighter with the Steeda unit. The CFM is kind of gimicky IMHO, the set screws that fasten the adjustable part never stay tight. Thread locker has helped but not a cure. Overall I would recommend the Steeda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.