Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2002 Ford Focus SVT

15K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  SD_Rider 
#1 ·
Hi!
New member here...and owner of a (new to me) 02 SVT.

It has a few issues, but hopefully I got a good deal.

1) Ignition cylinder is done. Have to play with the key to get it to turn....and only one key.

Would you guys recommend a replacement from Autozone? ($80 + have to get the keys programmed) or dealer part + new key from dealer?

2) Codes: P0420, P1381, P1518. I have some troubleshooting to do, but so far I haven't tracked down a service manual. Ebay might be my next stop.

I drove the car home (about 30 miles) and it purred like a kitten. No stumbles or anything. So I don't think any of these codes are major problems.

3) The hatch release button doesn't work. I think I need a manual for that too, unless someone has a few things to try. I looked in the owner's manual, but didn't see a dedicated fuse for it.

BTW... LOVING the 6-speed! [8D]

See less See more
#4 ·
I had same issue with my cylinder key, i was told it was easy to fix so look into it if not it might end up costing you $300*edit* there is a way to change the bad cylinder for the keys without reprograming the keys, if i remeber its a $30 part and it not hard to do.

#5 ·
There is a guy on the ebey who is in NY that does it for around $37 shipped. You have to send one of your keys to him.

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! My Nissan forum can take a day or two for a reply.

To take care of the key issue, I ordered a lock cylinder from Ebay. I'll have to get another key and have it programmed. From what I've read, everyone suggests having 3 on hand, so if one gets damaged, I can reprogram a 3rd with the 2 good ones.

Should arrive by the weekend. Then I can at least drive the car and work on the other issues.

#7 ·
Thanks for the codes link. I found that yesterday. I need a manual, so I can locate and start testing the sensors.

...and check/replace the timing chain. Is it hard to do on the Zetec motors?

#8 ·

...and check/replace the timing chain. Is it hard to do on the Zetec motors?
I haven't done mine yet so I can't speak to its difficulty. However, I can tell you that we have belts, not chains. There's a how-to somewhere on here for installing timing belts on the Zetec(s).

#9 ·
Congrats on the new car! You should have a good time with it. The hatch switch on the dash is a simple fix. You'll need a new switch. They're $15-20 from a dealer or rockauto. There's only two screws that hold the bezel around the switch and the gauges. take them out, remove the bezel,the old switch and plug the new one in.Took me less than 5 min. to do and that included looking at the bezel to figure out how to remove it. If I had known it was so easy I wouldn't have driven around for two years with it not working,lol. Dealer told me it was a bunch of trouble and they would have to pull the dash apart???

#10 ·
Check the wiring between the hatch and the body, that can cause the button not to work either.

Did you get the 05-07 key cylinder, with the centered slot? It's designed not to seize up, if not the new one should work for a long time. I built my own cylinder and it took me 30 mins, I've never built one before.

#11 ·
The timeing belt is difficult not impossible, took me from starting at nine and finished at five, first timeing doing a timeing belt however i did have a friend whos an experienced mechanic whos done belt changes on other cars. This is what we used as a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IgVvfovhA the svt is about the same only big differance that is a hassle is one of the camshafts.

#12 ·
I ordered, what is described as the "new cylinder" from a company here in CA, so I should have it Thurs or Fri.

I also ordered a new key, so I can have that cut and programmed.

#13 ·
In reguards to the hatch release switch....I fixed one before. Sometimes the contacts get dirty. You can open up the switch (really easy) and use some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts and try that....worked when I did it on one at my job. May save you a few bucks.

#14 ·
Thanks! I will check that. Nice to have the new one on hand. It was only $30. Uncut key was $20. S/H included on both.

I look forward to driving this thing! Going to get it cleaned up and take pics this weekend.

#15 ·
No chance the old one could be fixed. It's the offset type. I couldn't even get it open. I also think my key is worn down, so a trip to the dealer is inevitable. :/

Not sure what was going on in here....still need a manual.

#16 ·
Here's my ignitions. Bad on the right (offset) New on the left (centered)

See why I think my key is worn out? After rekeying, I can pull my key out in AUX and when the car is running! 0_0

#17 ·
Oh! And good news on the hatch switch. Found out the key has to be in and hold it for a few seconds. Other than that, the key fob also works, if you hold it down a couple seconds! :)

#18 ·
Hmmm, my hatch switch is instant, but then again, my key fob will pop the hatch even with the doors locked, may people say theirs wont open unless all doors are unlocked. I did the whole ignition cylinder as well, had the locksmith key it for $20 after I got one on ebay and he programmed a key for me for $50, installed it myself, not the easiest, but do-able. Goodluck!!

#19 ·
Could the switch be the difference between 02 and 04? Do you have to have your key on?

I'll call around the local locksmiths and compare prices with the dealer. I have a key that should be here soon. Should have ordered 2. :/

#20 ·
Nope, no key on, and I am sure the switches are the same, may be a faulty switch, also check the loom that goes from the car to the hatch, wires crack their insulation and cause electrical problems. Its at the top of the hatch when open, just left of the third brake light. This fixes may problems when each wire is taped up separately.

#21 ·
Noticed a leak from about the center of the car. Pretty sure it is water/coolant.

Water pump is on that side of the engine, isn't it?

Local mechanic quoted $570 w/ parts. Do the timing belt and pulleys while he's in there. (idler and other pulleys he mentioned that need changed at the same time)

What else should I replace while he's in there?

#24 ·
its funny i am having the same issue with a leak , however i have a 03 zx5 non svt . i had a bad hose which i replaced , but then it still leaked *inttermitently* It leaked like a siph one day and hasn't since , i looked like the thermostat houseing was leaking , but like i said it stopped since , so i dunno. i want to change the houseing , but not if its not broke :p

#25 ·
I never got a reply hear, so moved on. Currently have the engine tore apart....time and all....for the last week. I'm replacing the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump.

It was definitely out of time, by a tooth...I'm surprised it was still running well! From the feel of the bolts and such (the water pump pulley bolts came off by hand) it seems like someone got in there, then decided not to replace the belt. ???

Hopefully I'll have it all buttoned up this weekend.

#26 ·
Good news and bad news.

Good news: I replaced the timing belt and pulleys (Gates kit). I also replaced the water pump. I also found a broken tensioner pulley. (Autozone replacement). Did I also mention that the water pump pulley bolts came off by hand? [:0]

Bad news: After 3.5 weeks of the car being apart...got it buttoned together and it wouldn't start. [facepalm]

Due to my lack of time and still no manual to speak of, I took it to my trusted mechanic. He also checked out the leak for me.

He said that I put the timing belt on wrong....$200 labor. He said there's a mark...not sure what I did wrong, but I still saved a couple hundred doing the other work myself.

More bad news: While he had it up on the lift, he said it was my heater core that was leaking...not a hose as I'd hoped. $550 to replace. I looked around and everything I found mentioned it was a rare failure, but a PITA to replace, so I bit the bullet.

More bad news: I still have the codes that initially made me guess the timing belt.
P0420-Catalyst System Efficiency Bank1 - I'm guessing cat or O2 sensors.
P1381-VCT over-advanced (Bank1)-not sure what this is???
P1518-Intake Manifold Runner Control Malfunction (Stuck open) -not sure what this is???

I'm pretty sure at this point I require a manual to know what theses sensors are and how to test them. [???:)]

#27 ·
Sorry I didn't see this before.

The SVT Focus is not a typical Timing belt job. Many of people have had an issue doing it wrong and there are also many who have done a good job at it. Myself and SleepyBoy on here have done ours several times (mine because I bent a few valves a couple of times ... it happens).

These cars are interference engines and if the T-Belt is wrong, it can be very very catastrophic.

For the T-Belt you will need the Timing Tool (Both CFM and Massive speed sell them) about a 35 dollar part and it comes with a bar to hold your cams and a pin to let you know when you are in TDC.

The rest is a long story, and there are many on here for that info.

As for the P0420, yup, need to change our your O2 sensor ... does the car have a cat? If not, you may be on the stock tune and it's just reading bad because of no cat ... if you do, then they are probably just busted. Easy fix.

P1381 - Back to the Timing belt. Since the SVTF has a VCT, that makes the timing very tricky. Again just doing the job right and making sure everything falls in place correctly will fix that. It's going to take a couple of tries for those who don't know this. Even experience mechanics that are not familiar with our cars will get it wrong.

P1518 - That would be your IMRC. It's a box that controls a switch to the runners of the Intake Manifold. It either needs to be replaced or fix. There is a How-To on here as well on trying to fix it. You may just luck out on the fix because it is common.

Sorry again that I missed this. But don't worry we are all here to help you through each one. As many many many SVTF Owners have been there and done that. including myself.

Ask away and we will help you as best as we can through the internet.

Good luck.

-Ray-

#28 ·
Thanks Ray!
At this point, I honestly think that I have a bunch of bad sensors. Just need to check them one at a time. :/

I reset the CEL yesterday...drove it 28 miles to work today and it did not come back on.

ABS light is still on. I checked the brake fluid level...how do I reset it?

Yes, the cat is still there. Is P0420 the front or rear sensor? Both look easy to get to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.