How often do you change your oil? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #31
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus SE - 5sp

Points 4,889, Level 44
Points: 4,889, Level: 44 Points: 4,889, Level: 44 Points: 4,889, Level: 44
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 5 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Don't use quotes often myself, sometimes it would be better if I had because of intervening posts made while I typed.

Without naming names, quoting long/picture filled posts to add only a short comment is more annoying to me.

Excerpting the portion you're replying to is actually the recommended procedure in the User info./FAQ section, you'll find it suggested in the Forum rules. Easier reading with less repeated info..

I've gotta chuckle about the old "Color" exchange. Might have been a little more to it at the time, IIRC there was quite the issue & plenty of sparring going on at one time over a replacement nose from an ST that still had the included ST logo - and a friendly Body Shop person adding an ST to the back to match - or so the story went.

"Why not upgrade/change when it's getting repaired?" ended up a sore point. Many more did it later.

Much later a member here came up with "SE" badges to use for the front in those circumstances, better than an ugly partial removal of the included badge (shape still shows).

Nice, unique color - even if some might think it a "pastel". Closer to a color toned Silver I think. Nice in a green or blue tone. Pink might be a little odd, that was last really popular in the 50's (and now a version for Mary Kay).
You're missing the point. She's not quoting anything. She's 'emphasizing' by using 'quotation marks'.

As far as pink, the last and now latest hurrah on them was the 70's model Mopars in Panther Pink, and most recently on a few Challengers. I may be missing another run on pink, but to my knowledge that was the most popular last two by far.

- Jody -
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #32
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,659, Level 100
Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ah, a grammatical annoyance.

Single quote marks are def. forbidden there.

"Emphasizing" isn't allowed either.

I was looking for a larger item obviously, paying attention to entire large quotes.

Single word quotes are allowed, though in large quantity it would be annoying.

Quotation marks can also be used for words out of place, like technical use or used in a different/questionable meaning. I end up using some variations of that type fairly often, to interject more "flavor" to the typed word.

Nice "pink" car example BTW, I hated the two tone pink & white that was just fading away from popularity when I was a kid. Barely remember that UGLY car.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #33
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 19,979, Level 89
Points: 19,979, Level: 89 Points: 19,979, Level: 89 Points: 19,979, Level: 89
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 25 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
On the topic of problems with communication:
It is sad the English language (nor any I know of) has no punctuation to infer sarcasm, or joke. The other problem is spoken language has inflection, this is best served by mini quotes, or single words in caps. It is not 'standard English', but I do not care. It does convey the sense of what is being said better.

With so many people not seeming to understand 'funny' it does get tiresome.
Also the notion that only 'experts' are allowed to answer. If true, then the site would have thousands of dead, unanswered threads. And no traffic. The basic idea is folks get to ask, other, real world folks get to answer. It is up to the individual reader to decide who is full of shit, and who said something worth reading. Like real life.

Yes, for a webmaster, I can see the high cost in unneeded data saved from excessive re-quoting! Plus overly large data pictures in the first place.
sailor likes this.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #34
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,889, Level 44
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 37%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
On the topic of problems with communication:
It is sad the English language (nor any I know of) has no punctuation to infer sarcasm, or joke. The other problem is spoken language has inflection, this is best served by mini quotes, or single words in caps. It is not 'standard English', but I do not care. It does convey the sense of what is being said better.

With so many people not seeming to understand 'funny' it does get tiresome.
Also the notion that only 'experts' are allowed to answer. If true, then the site would have thousands of dead, unanswered threads. And no traffic. The basic idea is folks get to ask, other, real world folks get to answer. It is up to the individual reader to decide who is full of shit, and who said something worth reading. Like real life.

Yes, for a webmaster, I can see the high cost in unneeded data saved from excessive re-quoting! Plus overly large data pictures in the first place.
Your OPINION is noted.

Single quotes, to my knowledge have NEVER been used to imply emphases except in uneducated, and laughable signage.

FYI, there's an entire Reddit devoted to bad use of quotes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/suspiciousquotes/

If it is not a direct quote, or in very rare cases ironic interpretation of a statement, do not use quotation marks.
Emphasizing Words in a Direct Quotation (APA)

For instance, I could say my "sexist" agenda is making me write this. That would be a direct quote, and is suitable to use the quotation marks.

But if I said my "Sexist agenda" is to piss you off, no one said those two words together up to this point, so the proper way to emphasize that is by saying, "My Sexist agenda is to piss you off." That would be a proper grammatical way to emphasize an indirect quote. (quotes added to the phrase entirely as I'm now quoting myself)
- Jody -
Old 06-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #35
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,889, Level 44
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 37%
And Sailor, no way you're this aged.

- Jody -
Old 06-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #36
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,659, Level 100
Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100 Points: 31,659, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Had to check that as I'm not much on earlier Dodges, you actually got it spot on to the exact year.

The car I was thinking of was a newer, squared off Merc. though. No idea of the exact year, it got replaced by a light blue metallic Merc. Monterey from the year when they had reverse angle electric rear window avail.. I remember Dad NOT wanting that style. 65?

I play around with words here a fair amount to get more "flavor" into the mix, and the typin' includes some regular use of those quotes. Even the style manual allows that when the meaning can be an odd fit or a bit twisted.

Southern & British/Aussie can drop in at times, I try to pull up more when posting to someone from another region.

Cheers

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #37
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 306705
What I Drive: Impact Blue Focus ST3

Points 155, Level 3
Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 The Silver Goat Good Standing Member
So I have 16 ST3; 5,430 and I've changed the oil twice.
First oil = 549 miles
I'm getting ready to go see my father who lives up north and I changed the oil this week as it's a 500 mile round trip.
Second oil change = 5,430 Full synthetic with a K & N filter (on sale)
I usually change it every 3,000 to 5,000 depending how hard I've driven the car.
With all the road construction in SE Michigan traffic has not allowed me to bang through the gear box so I stretched this change out more miles than usual.
I abide by the owner's manual when changing oil, radiator as well as trans fluids and I usually keep my vehicles for well over 100,000.
I can't go 7,500 between oil changes...
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #38
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 206585
What I Drive: 2014 white Focus SE

Points 24, Level 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Reilly Good Standing Member
I used to be a 3000 mile OCI guy but after reading many threads on BITOG I realize that modern oils can go much further. There is a guy (Tig is his name I think) who has nearly 200K on his Focus (and a Fusion) doing 10K oil changes with Mobil1. He has shown pictures of his engines and they look spotless. I'm not sure I will do 10K but 7500 should be a breeze especially since I do less and less city driving these days.
I used to change the FF (factory fill) at 1000 to 1500 miles to remove break in swarf but I now go to 2500 minimum because modern machining has made new engines which shed less metal. If I was going to stick with 4 or 5k OCI's I'd stick with regular (dino) oil to save a few bucks.

PS: Elizabeth: I think it's pretty cool to have you on this site...female car fanatics are a rare breed...
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #39
#dailydriven

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 DCT Hatchback

Points 17,774, Level 84
Points: 17,774, Level: 84 Points: 17,774, Level: 84 Points: 17,774, Level: 84
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 17 Jburks Great Standing Member
I used to be very much about the 3k interval oil change too but I recently started going 5k on oil changes using the motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filter. I think as long as you change it regularly and use good oil you are going to be just fine.

My Thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/382642-ruby-red-build-thread.html
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #40
Focus Addict

Fan#: 139145
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback 5spd

Points 2,585, Level 30
Points: 2,585, Level: 30 Points: 2,585, Level: 30 Points: 2,585, Level: 30
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 66%
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%
FF Reputation: 1 leavingmarks Good Standing Member
How often do you change your oil?

Usually around 7,500. Silly to bother changing it before then when the owner's manual recommends it at 10k.

Sent from a potato

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.