How often do you change your oil? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 233322
What I Drive: 2017 Escape Titanium

Points 1,301, Level 20
Points: 1,301, Level: 20 Points: 1,301, Level: 20 Points: 1,301, Level: 20
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 IlikePizza Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #22
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 29,323, Level 99
Points: 29,323, Level: 99 Points: 29,323, Level: 99 Points: 29,323, Level: 99
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 126 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Sailor, you gave me 90 minutes in the middle of the night to respond? Seriously?
Shucks, you were online according to the indicator and I didn't want to leave it alone until tonight.

Now I see most of yours deleted, and another "oil thread" became a typical mess. Never did hear from you.

I welcome any suggestions, what should be done with this now & when should I do it?

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 06-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #23
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus SE - 5sp

Points 4,581, Level 43
Points: 4,581, Level: 43 Points: 4,581, Level: 43 Points: 4,581, Level: 43
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Shucks, you were online according to the indicator and I didn't want to leave it alone until tonight.

Now I see most of yours deleted, and another "oil thread" became a typical mess. Never did hear from you.

I welcome any suggestions, what should be done with this now & when should I do it?
Honestly, I don't care, delete my commentary in quotes if it's offensive, whatever.

The Magnuson act was not brought up at all, and it should have been. The dealer CANNOT void your warranty for changing viscocities on approved by manufacturer oil as long as it is not just plain stupid. 20w50 in our motors for instance would be pushing your luck.

With many of the 12, 13's approaching and passing 100k+ miles, changing viscocities to quiet engine noises will be a real thing.

Finally, I still don't like Elizabeth's wording in her explanation(s) at all. Call me jaded, but I can search for her posts and see several things that are halfass or just wrong in almost any of them. Reading her posts is like reading ricer math to me.

[edit] Oh, and as far as the oilpan threads and fill plug and undertray mounts being a laughable excuse to not change you oil more often than needed, I've personally replaced a dozen aluminum oil pans for people with weeping oil drain plugs due to over-torquing that frequent the quick lube type places. It's not a cheap part to purchase, and a pain the the ass to replace in most cases. $500+ dealer job. The struggle is real.[/edit]
- Jody -

Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #24
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 19,262, Level 87
Points: 19,262, Level: 87 Points: 19,262, Level: 87 Points: 19,262, Level: 87
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 24 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:

Well, the op really was asking a non-question. IE: How many oil change threads do you need... really?
So I would say delete the whole thread. Maybe two or three of the several pages of posts have anything to do with changing oil. The rest are 'entertainment'. And the comment on 'lack of sense of humor' yeah.. For example the guy who agreed with the 'problem threads' comment. It was obvious he was being 'sarcastic'... to anyone with a sense of humor.

It IS rather funny how contentious oil change interval. change vs testing, oil viscosity, oil brand etc really is. Sort of like religion and politics.
The closest thing I know of is in audiophile circles. Cables raise plenty of hackles, and threads about them, arguing crap have been endless. Some sites limit what can be said, With no exceptions to the rules on the topic, since it does ALWAYS raise Hell between members.
Maybe a statement on 'oil change' might be in order. And the sticky threads about oil change, like in MK3 engine, are the ONLY ones allowed.

(and maybe the one about wrong viscosity in ST.. Which is a separate dealer issue)

Anyway, you want an opinion on THIS thread? I say destroy it.
Nothing will be missed.

Or, take JUST the op starter, (delete all the comments to it) and move it onto the oil change thread in MK3 engine?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #25
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 19,262, Level 87
Points: 19,262, Level: 87 Points: 19,262, Level: 87 Points: 19,262, Level: 87
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 24 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Finally, I still don't like Elizabeth's wording in her explanation(s) at all. Call me jaded, but I can search for her posts and see several things that are halfass or just wrong in almost any of them. Reading her posts is like reading ricer math to me.
I can tell you exactly what the problem is. IF my moniker was not a woman's name. And you not 'know' I was a woman.. I guarantee you would never think twice about what I write.
I run into your 'type' often enough. I know you will claim that has nothing to do with it. But from experience, I can prove it does.On male dominated sites, about mainly male topics, like cars, when I post with a clear 'female' moniker, I get 'extra' posts, and plenty of 'guff' from jerks. Yet, on the SAME SITES, with the exact same wit, and attitude, and comments from me, and the same style of writing, where I am sex neutral, So everyone thinks I am just another guy, NO extra posts, no guff, no crap.

IT is called SEXISM. And you , buddy, have it. Yeah you like women. but only in their place. Not as an equal among equals, like on this site.
So I totally rub you the wrong way. Get over it.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 AM   #26
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,581, Level 43
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 25%
Hahahahaha! Keep thinking that Elizabeth. You and you 'quoted words' are super scary!

Reverse sexism is real in that you expect me to treat a woman as a lesser human being!?

I don't have a sexist bone in my body, I am simply an outspoken human being and I am not afraid to be an ahole to those I come across in my life.

I treated suss6052 the EXACT same way a few years ago, and I'm sure he'll attest that he is not a female.
- Jody -
Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 AM   #27
Elder

Points 29,323, Level 99
Level Up 59% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 126 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Maybe I'm just biased because I LIKED the original post on "oil threads".

It summarized quite well the final outcome of them, nothing that's blatantly ridiculous or outside the manufacturers recommendations is good. Beyond that, doing what makes you happy won't cause a problem. Might not help, might help a little, all within a range where you can't prove any differences.

We may have differed on fine points, but the only one I think of is snow tire width - a subject that's VERY subject to opinion and varies depending on conditions encountered. NO preference will be "best" for everything there.

I've seen steel oil pans messed up on a single change gone wrong - not the nth change but the 3rd or 4th. Oil filter wrenched on dry at the same time to add to the fun. Or an aluminum pan that looks new at ~300k, after a LOT of changes since the car got regular ones PLUS an extra change B4/after every track outing.

Haven't seen engine issues from oil except for a lack of it, not that there aren't extreme cases - like never changing it.

Not going to touch this one right now,
Quote:
With many of the 12, 13's approaching and passing 100k+ miles, changing viscocities to quiet engine noises will be a real thing.
The idea of using "heavy" oil in an older engine might be better for "MythBusters", as it won't be an answer for long once something is severely worn, and wear is seldom perfectly even.

S.R. #275
Old 06-24-2016, 02:17 AM   #28
Elder

Points 29,323, Level 99
Level Up 59% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Quote:
Hahahahaha! Keep thinking that Elizabeth. You and you 'quoted words' are super scary!

Reverse sexism is real in that you expect me to treat a woman as a lesser human being!?

I don't have a sexist bone in my body, I am simply an outspoken human being and I am not afraid to be an ahole to those I come across in my life.

I treated suss6052 the EXACT same way a few years ago, and I'm sure he'll attest that he is not a female.
This is getting interesting, since I can't quite figure it out.

You'd mentioned quotes before, what's "super scary" about an exact quote from your post?

If you treated suss6052 the "same way" I'd put a wager that you were the one with mistaken information. He's no more immune than any of us to making a mistake, but he's QUITE knowledgeable and I think I can say that he's an engineer type in the field without letting out more than he'd like known.

No good reason to be an ahole to anyone who didn't treat you in a way to deserve it, and there's often little use doing so then.

S.R. #275
Old 06-24-2016, 02:25 AM   #29
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,581, Level 43
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 25%
Quote:
This is getting interesting, since I can't quite figure it out.

You'd mentioned quotes before, what's "super scary" about an exact quote from your post?

If you treated suss6052 the "same way" I'd put a wager that you were the one with mistaken information. He's no more immune than any of us to making a mistake, but he's QUITE knowledgeable and I think I can say that he's an engineer type in the field without letting out more than he'd like known.

No good reason to be an ahole to anyone who didn't treat you in a way to deserve it, and there's often little use doing so then.
Again, go look at Elizabeth's posts. She's a habitual emphasizer via quote. Wether anyone said something or not, if she wants emphasis..... the quotes come out.

Wasn't about misinformation with Suss. He was going on about how rare a car his Frosted Glass SEL was, and i simply stated that it was a color intended for rentals and 30 something females.... and got a 3 day vacation for it. Eh. Whatever. :)
- Jody -
Old 06-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #30
Elder

Points 29,323, Level 99
Level Up 59% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Don't use quotes often myself, sometimes it would be better if I had because of intervening posts made while I typed.

Without naming names, quoting long/picture filled posts to add only a short comment is more annoying to me.

Excerpting the portion you're replying to is actually the recommended procedure in the User info./FAQ section, you'll find it suggested in the Forum rules. Easier reading with less repeated info..

I've gotta chuckle about the old "Color" exchange. Might have been a little more to it at the time, IIRC there was quite the issue & plenty of sparring going on at one time over a replacement nose from an ST that still had the included ST logo - and a friendly Body Shop person adding an ST to the back to match - or so the story went.

"Why not upgrade/change when it's getting repaired?" ended up a sore point. Many more did it later.

Much later a member here came up with "SE" badges to use for the front in those circumstances, better than an ugly partial removal of the included badge (shape still shows).

Nice, unique color - even if some might think it a "pastel". Closer to a color toned Silver I think. Nice in a green or blue tone. Pink might be a little odd, that was last really popular in the 50's (and now a version for Mary Kay).

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.