Anyone else upgrade from a non-ST Focus? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 203945
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3, silver

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 IAmBort Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone else upgrade from a non-ST Focus?

I just replaced my 2013 Focus SE with a 2013 Focus ST. Obviously a terrible move financially, but damn was it worth it! Even though many people complain about the shifting on the ST, it is still much shorter and smoother than the SE. That thing would turn into a bronco (the horse, not the car) if I let off the gas in 1st or 2nd or didn't revmatch perfectly when downshifting. The car felt so anemic, needing to downshift a gear or 2 to accelerate at all. I love how now I am able to just push the gas in and easily overtake anyone. Oh, and hill start is fantastic.

The only things I miss are the softer ride in the SE, which felt perfect, the lack of rattles/noises, and the new car smell that my ST never had :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 16,396, Level 82
Points: 16,396, Level: 82 Points: 16,396, Level: 82 Points: 16,396, Level: 82
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 72 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Pretty much summed it up^^^^^^ Yea pretty spendy move from your '13se,,,,
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 10,894, Level 69
Points: 10,894, Level: 69 Points: 10,894, Level: 69 Points: 10,894, Level: 69
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 30 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBort View Post
I just replaced my 2013 Focus SE with a 2013 Focus ST. Obviously a terrible move financially, but damn was it worth it! Even though many people complain about the shifting on the ST, it is still much shorter and smoother than the SE. That thing would turn into a bronco (the horse, not the car) if I let off the gas in 1st or 2nd or didn't revmatch perfectly when downshifting. The car felt so anemic, needing to downshift a gear or 2 to accelerate at all. I love how now I am able to just push the gas in and easily overtake anyone. Oh, and hill start is fantastic.

The only things I miss are the softer ride in the SE, which felt perfect, the lack of rattles/noises, and the new car smell that my ST never had :(
Don't just floor the ST from low revs all the time. Yes I understand it has more torque especially from down low, but it's not good to it to load the engine up so much from below 3000 rpm and you could slip more easily into a zone where low speed preignition is more prevalent. LSPI is essentially mega knock and seems to be a lot more prevalent in turbocharged and direct injected engine applications.

A few things can help prevent it, but it's not 100% possible to prevent so far, use a good quality oil that can withstand the heat in the engine and with a low volatility/ low NOACK reading so it doesn't tend to get washed off of the cylinder walls as easily, use high quality fuels, and avoid loading the engine too harshly from low revs.

I know from time to time I've also taken advantage of the engine's flexibility and pulled from low revs and it seems smooth and stronger than my other car a 5 speed Focus SE, but it's putting a lot more stress on the power train.

At least the STs haven't been bending rods like the MazdaSpeed3s have been, though there have been cases of people melting pistons or destroying the ring lands on particular cylinders (#1 and #4 seem to pop up more often).

Otherwise enjoy the newfound performance and I don't mean to scare anyone. For that you have to read through the blown motor resource thread on focusst.org
Old 02-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,933, Level 81
Points: 15,933, Level: 81 Points: 15,933, Level: 81 Points: 15,933, Level: 81
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 19 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
The third back car I had was a 1999 Contour SVT. I owned it from new, and kept it 13 years.. Mainly because Ford failed to make anything like it in all that time..
Then finally the MK3 Focus was around. I bought a 2012 manual tranny SE with sport package in 2011, before the ST was around.
After having the SE for over three years, I felt I needed something with some GO pedal. So I traded in the 2012 for a new, ordered, 2014 Focus ST3.
I saw the pics of the 2015, and hated the rear, and the new derived from the Fusion steering wheel. So I ordered a 2014 to get the color I wanted and the original design stuff.

I am happier with the ST. Though I sure miss the over 40mpg on the freeway that the SE got.
In the city my MPG is actually about the same!!
What is truly annoying about the ST is having to go 53mph or less to get mid 30ish mpgs.. As soon as I get up to 55 or more, the mpg drops to 29 and the higher the speed, the lower the mpgs. At 70mph the mpg is like 26.
But the ST is way faster.. And is a lot like my Contour SVT was. Just much better mpgs.

I would like to see a SVT Fusion. (or a ST Fusion) with the 2.3 Ecoboost (300+ hp, a six speed manual tranny. For under $33K base. With all the handling goodies Ford ST/SVT has be capable of. Maybe in 2017?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 124, Level 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Don't just floor the ST from low revs all the time. Yes I understand it has more torque especially from down low, but it's not good to it to load the engine up so much from below 3000 rpm and you could slip more easily into a zone where low speed preignition is more prevalent. LSPI is essentially mega knock and seems to be a lot more prevalent in turbocharged and direct injected engine applications.

A few things can help prevent it, but it's not 100% possible to prevent so far, use a good quality oil that can withstand the heat in the engine and with a low volatility/ low NOACK reading so it doesn't tend to get washed off of the cylinder walls as easily, use high quality fuels, and avoid loading the engine too harshly from low revs.

I know from time to time I've also taken advantage of the engine's flexibility and pulled from low revs and it seems smooth and stronger than my other car a 5 speed Focus SE, but it's putting a lot more stress on the power train.

At least the STs haven't been bending rods like the MazdaSpeed3s have been, though there have been cases of people melting pistons or destroying the ring lands on particular cylinders (#1 and #4 seem to pop up more often).

Otherwise enjoy the newfound performance and I don't mean to scare anyone. For that you have to read through the blown motor resource thread on focusst.org
Good to know! I'm glad someone told me before I floored my way into a blown engine.

I heard that fuel economy is better when staying in the highest gear possible when going up hill. Would you consider that too much load on the engine that could lead to pre-ignition? Supposing that I am not flooring it, but the gas pedal is pushed in a good amount.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 124, Level 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
The third back car I had was a 1999 Contour SVT. I owned it from new, and kept it 13 years.. Mainly because Ford failed to make anything like it in all that time..
Then finally the MK3 Focus was around. I bought a 2012 manual tranny SE with sport package in 2011, before the ST was around.
After having the SE for over three years, I felt I needed something with some GO pedal. So I traded in the 2012 for a new, ordered, 2014 Focus ST3.
I saw the pics of the 2015, and hated the rear, and the new derived from the Fusion steering wheel. So I ordered a 2014 to get the color I wanted and the original design stuff.

I am happier with the ST. Though I sure miss the over 40mpg on the freeway that the SE got.
In the city my MPG is actually about the same!!
What is truly annoying about the ST is having to go 53mph or less to get mid 30ish mpgs.. As soon as I get up to 55 or more, the mpg drops to 29 and the higher the speed, the lower the mpgs. At 70mph the mpg is like 26.
But the ST is way faster.. And is a lot like my Contour SVT was. Just much better mpgs.

I would like to see a SVT Fusion. (or a ST Fusion) with the 2.3 Ecoboost (300+ hp, a six speed manual tranny. For under $33K base. With all the handling goodies Ford ST/SVT has be capable of. Maybe in 2017?
That's strange that you could only get 30 mpg in your ST under 55. When I first got mine I went on a 3 hour drive and averaged 30 mpg while averaging 75 mph. My mpg in daily driving is way down though from my SE, from 32 mpg to 25. Though it's probably because the ST can consume way more gas at WOT, which can be hard to resist.

An ST Fusion would be really cool. It's the only car left that Ford hasn't made a performance model for. It would be like a poor man's Aston Martin.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,933, Level 81
Points: 15,933, Level: 81 Points: 15,933, Level: 81 Points: 15,933, Level: 81
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 19 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBort View Post
That's strange that you could only get 30 mpg in your ST under 55. When I first got mine I went on a 3 hour drive and averaged 30 mpg while averaging 75 mph. My mpg in daily driving is way down though from my SE, from 32 mpg to 25. Though it's probably because the ST can consume way more gas at WOT, which can be hard to resist.

An ST Fusion would be really cool. It's the only car left that Ford hasn't made a performance model for. It would be like a poor man's Aston Martin.
Remember this is Winter here, and the average temps have been about 15F.
I only got the car in November.
This Summer the situation may change for mpgs.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 126762
What I Drive: 2002 Vermillion Clearcoat ZX5

Points 6,953, Level 55
Points: 6,953, Level: 55 Points: 6,953, Level: 55 Points: 6,953, Level: 55
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
FF Reputation: 5 A Focused Family Good Standing Member
We went from a 2006 Focus SES ZX5 to the ST. My wife loves it.
2002 Vermillion Clearcoat ZX5
2000 CD Silver SE Wagon
Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

Points 470, Level 9
Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Remember this is Winter here, and the average temps have been about 15F.
I only got the car in November.
This Summer the situation may change for mpgs.
I noticed this year that when the temperature gets low (about 5 F or less) I have been running my heated seat and my heated backlight. When these are on my mileage plummets from an overall average of about 32 to 28 MPG on my Focus SE Sport. I was alarmed at first that something was wrong with my car but about two weeks ago I turned the seat off to see if this part of the drop and it is. At temps warmer than this I never noticed because my heated seat is not in use.

With the low numbers you are experiencing I am wondering if you have your heated seat on the whole time? If you do maybe try turning it off to see if things improve.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 174017
What I Drive: 2014 Performance Blue ST

Points 260, Level 5
Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5 Points: 260, Level: 5
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mac100289 Good Standing Member
I went from a 2007 focus zx3 5-speed coupe, to a 2014 Performance Blue ST. No car payment to a car sucked, but well worth it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.