Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1200 miles Turbo burnt out

10K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
So while cruising home from Vermont I noticed a weird metal burning smell and had pulled over to check oil and fluids. everything was normal,continued driving and once I got back into nj I noticed it had gotten worse, took it to dealer today by my mothers house and turns out the turbo is shot. Im kinda confused cause i really dont boost the car at all and I babby it to get decent millage and I run 93octane only. I hope this was just a factory fluke ad not something to be a normal occurrence on these cars.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about the car!

This is the first I've heard of mechanical issues and you may have just caught some bad luck. Hopefully it all works out for you in the end!

#8 ·
good news and bad news. and a stroy with a moral. Being a PITA is a good thing.

the bad:
3weeks for new trubo to arrive

the good:
the dealer ship has decided to give me a new ford racing gear setup. they said I will be receiving a hat and racing jacket along with a new keychain. lol. they are giving me all this wonderful stuff because im and such a good customer (bribery). LMAO. they also changed the oil on my se for free to today.

#12 ·
No signs at all. Just when I gt to Albany and turned heat up I noticed te metal smell and I got paranoid but by the times was back to jersey you could really smell it big time. I Had no idea it was the turbo though when I first would have guessed becuase I never boosted and car did not smoke. But I would like to believe that this was all a big fluke.

#14 ·
No never told me yet still waiting for turbo to come in. This is driving me nuts. I'm thinking about telling ford this is ridiculous and I want out of this loan because I bought a car that I can drive. I'm a little upset just due to the fact that ford told me turbo would arrive this week and they did not get it in yet and the parts people have no idea when to expect it.

#18 ·
So I picked the car up this morning and got about 45 miles from dealer ship, came to stop at a red light and car started pouring out black/blue ish smoke. I turned it off turned it back on again and it was gone continued driving a came to another light and it started again. Got it towed back to the dealer and showed them what it was doing.

Any ideas here. Smokes only when stopped and does not smoke while driving. Black/blue ish color smoke. Acts as though valve seals are bad. Smelled like burning oil.

I'm so frustrated, I'm basically paying for a car that the dealer still has custody of. Fml.

#22 ·
So me and the dealer have come to an agreement. I'm getting out of my loan once they have a fiesta st available. Turns out oil drain line gasket got pinched when they put new turbo unite on. The guy was explaining how temperamental the return line is.

#26 ·
So why didn't they replace the return line?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using FF Mobile.
No clue why they did what they did. I've learned from experience that you get more excuses than anything when you try to get a real explanation.

#30 ·
Took the st out for a drive yesterday and noticed a bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust it was more like the kind of smoke you get when your pcv valve craps out. I think it might be because the turbo is still new and has less than 300 miles on it.

#32 ·
This is most likely the case. With a new turbo comes new seals, and those seals need to seat properly with some use, the same thing happened with the Mazdaspeed 3 replacement turbo's once the seals were known to be faulty on occasion with the stock turbo. The new seals/turbo need to be broken in, so don't be afraid to get on the gas and into boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.