Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Shelby Focus ST

16K views 131 replies 48 participants last post by  TiStick 
#1 ·
Shelby has a Focus ST they will be unveiling (literally) at the Detroit Auto Show. It will be interesting to see if this is just a dress up job or if Shelby made some significant performance enhancements.

Auto shows are rarely surprising anymore. We typically know what every single car is that's coming out well before the show.

But then again, there are some surprises. Shelby had a still covered one when we arrived in Detroit this morning: A Ford Focus ST. Interesting.

Details are currently non-existent on the car. We just wanted to let you know there's something to anticipate from Shelby besides a random Mustang.

Ok, carry on.

See less See more
#4 ·
Shelby has a Focus ST they will be unveiling (literally) at the Detroit Auto Show. It will be interesting to see if this is just a dress up job or if Shelby made some significant performance enhancements.
It's Shelby. They're not known to just dress things up.

#8 ·
Ah, I remember reading an interview with Carroll from a while back mentioning the Focus. After digging around, it was Road and Track:

4. Will the Shelby name possibly make it to a new Focus or Fiesta?
Yeah! That's what I'm working on right now. I think you're going to see the industry going completely to small engines with turbochargers. That's the only way you can get the mileage that the government is going to be demanding.
So this news shouldn't be a complete shock. [:)]

rambleon84 said:
some one made a good point on jalopnik... the banner says gt350 and the chances of them having a 350hp mustang on display is pretty thin! GT350 ST ftw!
Another guy on Jalopnik commented:
You do see the other two covered cars that are obviously Mustangs? Also the original GT350 moniker had nothing to do with the horsepower of the car... so it is almost certainly for a Mustang GT350.
The '350' never did stand for horsepower, as the original '60s ones had less than 350HP, and the 2011-2012 GT350 obviously had more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Mustang
In my opinion the banner is just a display graphic, not a representation of what they're advertising at the Detroit show. And it looks to be Gotta Have It Green.

#11 ·
Another guy on Jalopnik commented:

The '350' never did stand for horsepower, as the original '60s ones had less than 350HP, and the 2011-2012 GT350 obviously had more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Mustang
In my opinion the banner is just a display graphic, not a representation of what they're advertising at the Detroit show. And it looks to be Gotta Have It Green.
Oh, well i suppose that sounds more reasonable...still hoping they put out a nice focus, with some good numbers!

#14 ·
Don't forget, back in the day Shelby also stepped up the Dodge Omni GLH and came out with the GLHS.

#27 ·
#28 ·
I doubt very seriously that Carrol Shelby Enterprises is going to completely re-design the transmission, chassis, and suspension in such a short order of time to get AWD. I really don't think anyone who suggests that realizes how much it would actually cost, nor how much R&D would be involved. It would also add about 1k pounds to the car, so you'd need an additional 63 hp and 68 lb-ft right off the bat to make up for the extra 1k lbs. That's just the power to weight ratio, the suspension would have to be beefed up to handle all that additional weight, and at this point the FWD car would be leaving the AWD (awesomeness) in it's dust because that power is distributed between 4 wheels instead of 2, so less is getting to the ground for acceleration. Sure, you won't spin out, but that's because you just don't have the power to do it. To overcome that difference, you'll likely need another 50 hp and lb-ft. Now you can get a jump off the line and keep it to the 1/4. How much money do you think that would cost?

Now what happens if Mr FWD decides to get a tune and a down pipe making an additional 60 hp and 70 lb-ft? Back to the drawing board. Go AWD! By the time you're done, you could've just bought a Porsche.

#31 ·
I doubt very seriously that Carrol Shelby Enterprises is going to completely re-design the transmission, chassis, and suspension in such a short order of time to get AWD.
Yup. AWD not gonna happen.

I see a tune, intake/exhaust, short throw, black stripes and wheels, some bodykitting, interior flourishes, maybe lowered, simpler things like that. It won't be radically different from the stock ST, but it's great to see the ST get any kind of aftermarket attention.

#32 ·
/\ THIS /\

Even if they made an AWD Focus, it wouldn't likely see production because it would be too expensive and maybe even a little worse than a stock ST. I imagine that this will be an ST with bolt-ons and special paint, and be limited.

#33 ·
If an ST already cost in the price range of a WRX and the curb weight is about the same too I can't see how an AWD Focus would even be competitive. The Focus is a heavy car for being small and FWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.