Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST

18K views 85 replies 39 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 ·
I've been reading the all the promotional stuff on the design of the 2013; how it tweaks the steering to compensate for torque steer; how its just like its European counterpart; etc etc. I'm the only owner of a 2005 Focus ST; its 100 HP less than the new one; it weighs about 500 lbs less than the new one; it has one less gear than the new on; its got almost 100,000 miles on it; gets 30 mpg on regular all the time; still looks shiny and new, inside and out. Over the years I've added front and rear strut braces, a Steeda cold air intake and urethane sway bar bushings. I've replaced the accessory drive belt, plugs and coolant once. Used synthetic oil for changes every 4,ooo miles or so.

I fully expected the new ST to blow my socks off. It didn't. Yup, it was way faster to 60 and handled beautifully. But way more fun to drive, not! And whats with that intake noise piped into the cabin through that plastic hose?

Bottom line for me is that the new ST is marginally better. If you're used to a non-performance oriented sedan, the 2013 ST will definitely impress and you'll look forward to driving it every day. Guess I'm spoiled by the 05 ST. I've owned two 5.0 Mustangs and a 97 Mustang Cobra ragtop. No other car has been as much fun as the 05 ST (and the ST is only one with which I've gotten speeding tickets!).

I research many product purchase decisions on this site but rarely if ever comment. Thought its time to share what I've learned.

See less See more
#4 ·
This post helps alot cause every other post says how great the car is but yours is first that didnt go that route.
Posted via FF Mobile

#19 ·
As a previous owner of (2) 2003 ZX3 SVT's, and just having driven home my new 2013 ST3 - I can't argue with this guys opinion.

The new ST is just a different car all together. With my SVT's, I was 100% connected to the road. They were the perfect size. I could easily induce understeer or oversteer intentionally and KNOW I could put it back on the line I want at any time. They just did what you told them to do, and did them comfortably.

My new ST - well I've only driven it about 100 miles now, but it's exactly as I expected. It's just a DIFFERENT car. It's bigger. Visibility is worse (main reason I would prefer a 3 door hatch, when you look immediately to your left all you see is the door pillars. On a 3 door, all you see is outside). It's vastly more refined, comfy, quiet. It's fast. Faster than I expected and I have owned a couple of 2006 Evo IX's in the past. The torque comes on so fast you barely know it's turbo. I love it, but it's different. Would I push it into oversteer around a corner with a drop off? Nope. Not yet anyway.

The SVT is 10 years old now. I have too busy of a life now to be worrying about repairing them. If I could buy a brand new 2003 SVT with warranty in 2013 for $10k less than what I paid for my ST, I probably would have done it. But you can't.

For what's out there today, I think the ST is an incredible machine, but if you are thinking it's an updated 2003 SVT or 2005 ST, that's just not the case.

It really is a "Ford GTI" if you will. I owned a 2008 R32 (actually my wife did). When she got a different car, the idea was that I would drive that one. I did for a couple of months, then I got rid of it because I couldn't stand driving an automatic. This ST reminds me VERY much of that car.

#12 ·
The new one is a great car. But then, there are other great cars, and if you already have one of those, then sure, why pay all that money?

I remember another poster saying something along the lines of the thing he liked about his old SVT Focus was that it was a relatively on-the-metal experience for him, and he worried that the oft-mentioned refinement of the 2013 would refine the fun out of it.

That's a valid concern, actually. The new ST is a blast to drive, IMO. It's also very well-mannered, willing and compliant, and pretty luxurious in the top trim. Very quiet at low RPM, smooth ride, lovely under-the-radar quality until you let it loose.

But if you wanted to wrestle the steering wheel, have the engine growling all the time, and listen to the gears move, so it's like those in-cabin shots from a rally race, you're not going to get that. The 2013 ST has performance, but it's not raw performance.

>And whats with that intake noise piped into the cabin through that plastic hose

Enthusiasts like to hear the car go VROOM. All performance cars cheat the engine noise one way or another, certainly by tuning the exhaust and adding resonance. That's especially a challenge with a 4-banger. The ST engine is pretty quiet, especially with the engine cover. They did quite a number eliminating the NVH, which is great for the passengers. But for those of us that want to hear it go vroom, they had to deliberately compromise the noise insulation. There's a butterfly valve in that pipe to keep it quiet at low RPM for highway cruising, and only let the noise in when you step on it.

Nice compromise IMO -- and a good example of the sort of thing I was talking about in the first paragraph. Refined, pleasant, and not what some people are going to want.

Better than the mechanical vibrator VW sticks under the dash of the GTI, anyway.

#13 ·
Bottom line for me is that the new ST is marginally better. If you're used to a non-performance oriented sedan, the 2013 ST will definitely impress and you'll look forward to driving it every day. Guess I'm spoiled by the 05 ST. I've owned two 5.0 Mustangs and a 97 Mustang Cobra ragtop. No other car has been as much fun as the 05 ST (and the ST is only one with which I've gotten speeding tickets!).
I think you are overselling the old ST. It was a nice car, but the new one is leaps and bounds better.

#15 ·
I attended the ST Performance Academy in July. And, while it admittedly did not offer a full taste of the car's capabilities - you had to stay in 2nd gear(!), etc. - I actually drove away in my SVTF loving it more than ever.

Thank you for reminding me of this, because ST Lust has been creeping up on me again recently...

#20 ·
Great post! I think that that this is also true for the normal Focus Mk1 vs. Mk.3.

I've found that my Mk.1 Focus SE 2.3L (same engine as the old ST, pretty decent suspension) feels much lighter on it's feet that the new Mk.3's I've driven (only S/SEL). It is surprisingly agile and has excellent steering for the class. The SVT must be fantastic. I remember CAR Magazine's 2000 article on the Mk.1...they raved about the agility of the Mk.1 and the fantastic job that Richard Parry-Jones did developing it. It's a pretty underrated car here in the US.

The new regular Focus feels similar to a normal VW Golf (not a bad thing, just different).

I can't wait to drive the ST, though. How do you find the variable EPAS?

#21 ·
I also test drove the ST and was disappointed. Ended up buying an SE instead as I felt the added performance wasn't worth the extra cost. The buzzing engine sound I found annoying. It's gotten excellent reviews so obviously some people love it, but it just wasn't for me.

#22 ·
I test drove a new ST2 package the other day and I really liked the car but I guess I was disappointed that I didn't walk away loving it...
It is a completely different animal from the old SVT that I drive on a daily basis. The new car is quieter, smoother, handles amazingly, looks awesome, has amazing seats, a lot more technology, and some awesome power! And again all of this was a big plus. The only negatives I have are the clutch pedal was freaky light, and that sound symposer is so fake sounding its rediculous...

The reason I didn't walk away loving it was I felt it was missing the soul or mechanical feel of the old SVT. After the test drive I drove home and appreciated what my SVT is even more!

#23 ·
dtecPwr, I do hear what you are saying and that's kinda how I felt as well.

However, after having my ST a week, I'm at the point where I don't think I'd go back now! The ST really is amazing, in a totally different way.

Having said that, if I could have ordered it with HID's and the Recaro's without all the Sync and MFT stuff and saved some money, I would have. The Nav is nice and works really well, however.

#24 ·
rgonyer,
I definetly feel that with more seat time I would appreciate more and begin to love it. (only had a 15min drive) Don't get me wrong, I am still considering the car probably a ST3 but I am going to hold off until the 2014 comes out with all the updates and changes (hopefully someone will have a good aftermarket exhaust by then too). It would be nice to have a new car and not have to worry about any maintainence except oil changes for awhile. Right now I am condering the ST or WRX and that is not an easy decision (both are manual and turboed, wrx has awd which is huge living in a state that gets a lot of snow, but the ST gets way better MPGs)

#25 ·
I also was thinking about a 2013 ST so I actually test drove a ST3 at the dealership this morning.. I left feeling the same way as the OP about my 2005 ST.. Besides I couldn't believe the dealership had some kind of "market value" markup, so it was priced at over 31k!! What a joke..

#27 ·
As most know I come from a Looooooong line of turbocharged Foci , I have built hundreds and owened 5 of them turbocharged one being a SVT which I still have and hope to keep for a long long time

I have done about everything there is to do to a Focus from 230HP NA to 700+ HP Turbocharged street Focus to a V8 Focus with a stroker 351w stroked to a 406

I have drove 3 ST now and first thing I didnt like was the small feeling seats , there not for a guy my size 6`2 265lbs and the recaros are even worse

I liked how the car pulled from 2000 to 4000 but then it was over and you could feel it nosing over (I can fix that lol) , and I hated the in car sound , let the engine do what its going to do , no in cabin sound needs to be added

I liked how the steering quickens as you get closer to the end , I like how the steering feels connected to the driver , I liked how you could throw the car around and bring it back

I feel the car is over priced for there target market in todays economy and there should be a stripped ST for about 19,000 with regular seats , no nav , sync , etc

Over all I did like the car which surprised me , the guys car I drove drove my turbocharged SVT only set to 240HP and he climed out with a hugh smile on his face saying I wish the ST felt like that and I said I wish the SVT drove like that , dont get me wrong I love my SVT and it felt great to climb back into it right after driving the SVT but you can tell the ST has stepped forward in a lot of ways and after riding and driving it for just over 200 miles it felt great even for long trips , over all its just a fun car

Would I buy one yes , will I pay the new price NO I will wait for a used one to come along , would love to find a rebuilt because I wont have a warranty for long anyway , 2000 ZX3 warranty dead at 150 miles , 2002 SVT warranty was dead at 26 miles

Would I trade my 2002 Turbocharged SVT for it straight up....NOPE !

Tom

#28 ·
I am going to have to agree with the general consensus here. I've driven a ST1 and two ST2's now, and i haven't found them to live up to the hype that Ford had been pushing. Yes they look great, yes they drive great, and yes, the cost is reasonable, but at the same time, it didn't feel eager to dive though the turns or slam through the gears.

I like my cars to feel like the Tasmanian devil, and its my job as a driver to hold them back; the ST feels opposite of that to me, it feels too reserved. For what its worth, I like it alot, but I cant compare it to a WRX or Speed3 in terms of how it feels to drive.

#34 ·
Ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^The ST is refined, vs a raucousness speed3 & the wrx is more mechincaley connected. I like the raw connected feel w/o the eletronic nannies. Ford should have gone out on a limb & gave the ST a torsen.[thumb] Get rid of that sound tube & add a torsen.

#29 ·
I have been considering the new ST as well... As most of us, (especially the 05-07 ST owners), the idea of an "ST" that would finally unify the focus gearheads - sounds great.

As soon as I started seeing '13 ST's advertized by nearby Ford dealers... out came my calculator...

How much does the extra HP, new car smell & "ST" exclusivity Cost? ... wait, is this new ST a seperate model?... or is it a part of the regular focus (better make sure... been there - done that :)

The new ST will sure outperform my 07 ST... but considering that my ST has been a really great car... still bone stock (unlike my expectations when I bought it - only upgrades are: oil changes and one set of brakes:), but yet even today it still handles, sounds and looks great... I have had no problems at all and every time I drive it, I still smile :)

How much does that cost?

#30 ·
I haven't driven the new ST yet and I probably won't. For me, it's not ever going to be very practical as a daily driver. When it snows (like it does here sometimes) several inches I have to go out and drive in it. My '05 with snow tires in nothing but fun for me. I pass 4x4s that are having problems getting traction. They probably wonder if my car is AWD. I used to be looking at getting something more sporty than my car... now I look at getting a Tacoma or the like because my practical side is winning.

I mountain bike A LOT (one of my bikes has studded tires and I take it up and down frozen creeks and lakes just to give you some idea) and that's why I want a pickup (which I would equip with an extra set of wheels and tires for winter by the way). But even if I didn't have "pickup" on my brain, I just can't see the new ST as being a practical 4 season DD. Too low.

For people that do drive one though (and hopefully you have a second vehicle for winter if you live in a winter climate), good choice. For what it's supposed to do, I think it does it well... from what I've gathered, anyways. The complaints seem to be minor (though there's always room for improvement, right?) Enjoy your ST. I still enjoy mine.

#31 ·
I just can't see the new ST as being a practical 4 season DD. Too low.
I think the ST is only 15 mm or so lower than the regular Mk3. Not sure if the front bumper hangs any lower though.

That said, if/when I do get an ST, I'd keep the SVT around for winter, simply to keep nasty salt off the ST.

#38 ·
when my mazda 3 is pai doff ive been looking for a four ba nger with a stock turbo, ive been gearing more towards awd because of my snowboarding and the rain and snow conditions here. but the new st ive been reading and watching videos of, sounds awesome and looks like it would be fun to drive. but I do think without a tune and replacing the exhaust system and motor mounts the st wouldn't be worth the lots of $ they advertise it for. the video from steeda with it on the dyno that poor engine moves around SOOO MUCH.

#39 ·
I can understand where people are coming from. I went from my 05 Saleen to the 13 ST and it is an all together different beast. The 05 feels faster, but in reality the 13 is much much faster, its just more refined all around. Quieter, higher quality materials, smoother shifting, smoother steering, smoother ride. There are things i miss about my Saleen, but everytime i go out and drive my ST i forget all about the Saleen. The Fswerks tune helped bring a lil raw back into the ST though :p

#40 ·
Probably trying to justify the cost of the st vs a moddit out older foci or a awd wrx or speed3. Nothing wrong w/ that. Yeah, I like the new st, it'd be great if it was a little more raw or had a little more edge to it. You pretty much said it is smoother in a lot of ways.

#48 ·
LOL a ST haters thread. I also have a 2005 ST. I love this car. I have 157,000 miles on it and the only thing I have done is put a alternator in it. It is a blast. Probably my favorite car out of the 30 or so that I have owned. I will likely keep my 2005 when my new ST comes in. But the 2013 ST is SOOOOOO much better. In every measurable way. The new ST is mature. It is reviewed as the best by so many sources for a reason. There are cars that do many things better... but as a package the ST is almost always the best in the opinion pieces. And for what you get the price is great. Spend time in the seat and opinions will change for the better.

#49 ·
This. I try to remember that not everyone has had a chance to see an ST in person, sit in one or test drive one, and that some people cement their opinions without knowing anything about the car. I've been privy to too many "it's a Focus, why does it cost so much" conversations. I respond with facts about the car and my own personal experiences, but one thing I must say is that EVERY person who has been in my 2013 ST or even driven it, have had their expectations obliterated. My brother in law has a nasty 2010 Mustang GT making about 450HP as his daily driver and even he was impressed by the ST. The primary point is that this car offers a fantastic driving experience, is fun to drive at any speed and retains practicality and even fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.