Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Test drove one today

7K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  goinloco1 
#1 ·
I have to say, the new Focus ST has met almost all of my expectations and exceeded a few. There's a silver Focus ST for sale in Harvey, LA. The hood gap is a much exaggerated issue IMO (didn't look out of place to me), but the trunk is kind of shallow. I love how this car blends in in plain colors (silver, black, white) it really doesn't stand out too much in silver and it's making me think I'd rather get one in white than Tangerine Scream. The seats are nice, however I was disappointed that the lumbar support is not adjustable like in the VW GTI (and some may find it snug, I was comfortable but my waist is less than 30").

I test drove a VW GTI less week and have found that there's not a whole lot of comparisons that have been offered so here are some pros and cons I noticed:
+The Ford Focus ST makes a much better engine sound. I love it.
+The Ford Focus' new car smell wasn't nearly as overbearing.
+I actually like the implementation of MFT. Very trick.
~The steering in the VW GTI felt a little bit more fluid to me. I didn't get to drive the Focus ST far enough to get used to the quick ratio of the steering, but it certainly felt strange, I think I could grow to like it once accustomed to it.
-The solidity and refinement everybody refers to when defending the GTI, it's there, even if only slightly. The doors feel slightly more substantial, make a slightly better sound when closing, but it's very negligible.
-The VW has a couple really nice touches like the gas-charged shock that holds the hood up. The engine compartment is way less cluttered and actually gives room to work on the engine. The Focus ST's engine cover and compartment altogether are incredible tacky in comparison (IMO).

Overall, I'd pick the Focus ST for two reasons: It's less expensive and I think the car sounds way better under throttle. The VW GTI is however the car to get if you want the most premium feeling car in this category.

I just thought I'd offer my opinion on how the two cars compare. I really like the Focus ST and will probably order one next year.

Shout out to Don Bohn Ford in Harvey, LA. Shane Petty was very nice and nobody in the dealership was pushy in any way.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good game? Are you suggesting it's overly complicated? Looked straight-forward to me. I normally set up whatever I need to (Nav, music, etc.) before I start driving and that I can change a song, adjust the climate control, or many other things using simply voice command is a really nice touch. Worked okay in the dealership, but I guess it's a YMMV sort of thing. If you're asking about the infotainment the GTI I drove was a base model, but the gauges and screen on the dash were much more easily legible than those in Focus ST.

#5 ·
What about power? I haven't been allowed to drive the ST yet (just a lowly salesman) but I used to sell VW and absolutely loved the GTI. I always thought it felt stronger than 200 hp and 207 torque. How does the ST feel in comparison in terms of acceleration?

I still can't get over the GTI's steering wheel... That thing is incredible.

#6 ·
Based on my own perception, the GTI felt like it pulled a little harder at low RPMs. The ST feels much more powerful in the mid range. While power is instantaneous in the GTI, the ST felt like it had a little (barely any) lag. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but this is only my opinion, I have little experience with turbocharged gasoline engines.

For my money I'm probably getting the ST for these reasons:
1. Focus ST sounds better under throttle. It sounds addictively good.
2. I can get the Focus ST configured how I want for less than $30,000 out the door (leather, nav, hids). The only way I could consider buying a GTI is if I could get $4,000+ for my trade
3. Cost of maintenance. If you DIY the oil filter is $15, $45+ for oil in the GTI.

#9 ·
Thanks for this, sorry for the delayed response.

BTW, let me know before you pull the trigger on one. My manager can get pretty aggressive price-wise, we might could make it worth your time to go through us instead. Have a color preference? I believe we have a red one coming in with all the goodies.

#7 ·
I was thinking about the Titanium with a manual, but looks like an ST would be about the same price with a lot more power and a 6 speed. I'm afraid the ST might be a bit too much of a race car for a daily driver though. What do you think? Does the ride beat you up? I love performance cars, but I want something my girlfriend would be comfortable driving too.

#8 ·
I didn't find the ride to be punishing, but it is firm. Probably not as comfortable as your BMW but definitely more comfortable than my 2006. The only comfort complaint I could see is for people with a wider frame (I'm small). Test drive both, but I'd regret not spending the extra money on a ST.

#11 ·
Yeah, I hear you. But part of the reason for buying a Focus is to tow it behind my motorhome. It'd be a shame to throw rocks on an ST all day long. I might just go with a SE, which I can probably get for close for between $17 and 18k right now with the $2k rebate going on. My local dealer has a race red one with a 5-speed and a moon roof. Put some aftermarket wheels on it and it might look ok. We'll see whether the sensible side or the boy racer in me wins out.

#12 ·
I test drove one today also...

To be completely honest, I was hoping for a tad more "Oomph" when hitting the gas. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely quick! But power build seems a tad sluggish, then the midrange and upper end power is much better... 2nd gear pulls are fun!

I'd be curious the difference the intake/tuner would make. Either way, I REALLY like it, handles incredibly. I used to have an '08 STI so maybe I'm just expecting a little too much, considering it's a 2.0L and has 50hp less than my STI did.

Either way, great car. I'd buy one. Might even sell my SEL for it, if they can't get my MyTouch fixed!

#14 ·
For a daily driver, the Recaro seats had WAY too much bolster for my liking... I'm 5' 11" and approximately 190lbs, and it was rather tight on my sides!

I would order a base model if I got one, just because I wouldn't want the Recaros for every day use... It's definitely excessive for what I'd be using it for.

#16 ·
I don't consider myself fat, or overweight... so it surprises me that I'm so uncomfortable in the Recaro's! They're way too agressive.

My wife had a Jetta GLI with Recaro's from the factory and they were MUCH more appropriate for the average user, still snug but not damn near race-car bolstering, like the ST.

#17 ·
I do consider myself fat (6', 270lb), yet don't find the seats uncomfortable. Different, yeah. Unexpected. Certainly more snug than anything else I've tried, including the GTI.

But not uncomfortable. By the third test drive, I didn't even notice them.

And it's nice not having that urge to brace a knee against the door or console to stay in place during a turn.

I don't have enough time in them to know what it'd be like after a few continuous hours.

#18 ·
First impressions of simply sitting in the Recaros (no drive time yet) is that they are very firm. Maybe they would be very comfy over a few hours, but I couldn't tell immediately (like you can with Swedish seats). I'm not a fan of huge bolsters, though I don't recall the ST2 seats being all that aggressive.

...has anyone here driven an ST over a long distance?

If you could live without them, an ST1 would be an even better buy. That car for ~23/24k sounds very appealing.

#19 ·
Drove it!

Well, might as well write a mini-review. Drove it for about 20 minutes. I'll compare the driving experience to my SVT since it was my point of reference.

The Good:

The handling. Oh my. The handling is truly the star of this car, it's so neutral and so quick. I didn't push it super hard, but I did get the rear to rotate during a roundabout. Doing so delivers an instant smile (I literally was smiling). The steering is very quick and it's very easy to point the car where you want to. Totally intuitive.
The seats are fantastic. They really do hug you in place, and the material feels high quality. Plus they look even better in person than in pictures.
The engine rocks. You want torque? OK, here it is! Revs easy, has power all over the powerband, and there's no turbo lag.Could use a bit more "character" though, see below.
It looks great, inside and out, again better in person that in photos. It really makes an impression, but it's similar enough to the regular Focus to not shout HEY LOOK IMA RACECAR VRRR.
It's very refined, in many ways. The cabin is very quiet, the ride is good, the materials and build quaility seemed spot on (although I didn't have enough time to really poke around in there.)
The ride is perfect to me. It's certainly more supple than my 132k mile SVT, but still firm and communicative. Body roll was less than that of my car.

The-Not-Good-But-Not-Bad-Because-Really-Nothing-About-The-Car-Was-Bad

The refinement kind of works against it sometimes. For some reason, driving it almost seemed "too easy". The clutch was nice and light, the shifter was light and slipped into gears like a boss, and it was easy to point the wheel, punch the gas, and drive it hard. But it felt a bit isolated or something. The engine was hard to hear, even with the sound symposer, and forget about "feeling" it in any way. Perhaps I'm just used to my SVT with it's rougher shifter and louder, vibration-prone cabin and cable-connected throttle and Borla exhaust where the entire driving experience is much more visceral and hands-on.
The cabin was very nicely done, but felt cramped at first impression. A-and-C-Pillers were large, and it was tough to see your blind spot, even with turning around. The full size spare seemed to take up cargo space with a high load floor, but perhaps this is how all Mk3 are, not sure. The back seat had good space though, equal or better to the Mk1 IMO.Again, I'm probably used to my more-open-feeling SVT, and I'm sure I'd get used to it all of it in about a week.
The worst problem: It's not in my garage... Actually, even though I loved the car, I won't mind waiting a year or two to get it. It was everything that I hoped it would be, but it didn't play voodoo tricks on my mind and cause me to start thinking about making a bad-yet-awesome financial decision.

#21 ·
Why waste the time trying to get used to something? I test drove an st and wasn't impresses.could you honestly do a 5,000 mile road trip in one comfortably? After 10 mimutes I'd decided no way.
I really didnt like banging the passengers knee when shifting or not being able to grab the shifter to change gears while taking a right because his leg was there.
What happened to the room? they magically become a fiesta once you step inside.
And the gas mileage sucks bad.
what happened to the sports car ford was going to build out of the focus?

#22 ·
People have been waiting a long time, and DESPERATELY "want" to love it... so they're convince themselves it's "not so bad" in some areas (like the ridiculous bolstering, unless you're 160lb 16-year old), instead of buying a model that truly makes them happy in all areas... Like a WRX! LOL

Is the gas mileage bad in the ST? Obviously the sticker states 32 highway... is that realistic?

#25 ·
Is it not a sports car simply because it is so refined and well-mannered..?
Nothing wrong with the ST. To me, actually, that refinement is a selling point. It's quite comfortable and luxurious, notably quiet, especially for the price -- but you can still let it off the leash. One appeal of hot hatches is the "under the radar" quality, and the ST has that. The other hot hatch attraction is versatility. You can drive the ST hard, or take it easy, which is valuable to me since it'll be a daily driver, not a track car.

But people that want a more raw, rally-car kind of feel might not like that so much. It's one of those personal preferences.

Gas mileage is great for 250 hp (much better than the WRX; about the same as the GTI, despite the 25% advantage in power). Actual mileage is going to come down to how you drive it. But if mileage is your main concern, you shouldn't be looking at the ST, or even this segment. There's a Focus PZEV that breaks 40; try that one. Or the Fusion hybrid, at 43 MPG in a big family sedan. Plenty of room for that 5000 mile roadtrip.

#26 ·
and no there is nothing wrong with the st just not my thing nor impressed with
I kept banging my damn knee on the center console and reaching around things to get at other things. the car was just to button happy and not at all what was expected, felt like a sardine can. they tried to fit too much crap inside instead of simplifying like the frs, lotus, and such are.
.96 g's wow
I ended up buying a 305hp v6, 6 spd man, mustang,w/ performance package, recaros,sync, tech package, and some other stuff I forget for right around the same price. insurance is 200 bucks a year cheaper than the st.
guess what.. it does .97g's on the skid pad, 0-60 in 5.4, 1/4 in 13.9. and 29mpg hwy.
does that impress you? quit trying to impress me.
i also own an 02 svt thats blown and does 14.06 in the 1/4 at 5psi that i just upped the boost to 9psi and will be tuning this winter. i've owned 3 focus.

#27 ·
On the new ST, I don't like that you can't get the recaro's in the base car= Ford bundles options into pkg's, I guess its cheaper for them. I don't like that center stack & yeah my knee hits the center at times. I also don't like the small fuel tank, it should be at least a 14 gal.+ tank. My buddy is always filling his '09 Colbalt ss sedan= 12 gal. tank. I like the new ST, but I'd add a few mods= a torsen for sure.

#28 ·
I agree that the packages are annoying. I understand why they do it, but the lack of variety forces you to buy the better package with a bunch of crap you don't want, or settle for a lesser package that doesn't have some things you do want. I'd guess that just as often it causes a potential customer to buy a different brand.

I'd be willing to pay extra for the Recaros (or even leather sport seats) but I don't want MFT. Just give me a decent sounding stereo with KNOBS.

#29 ·
this was one thing that swayed me to the mustang. you are able to start with a base model and build up, but in the process these take away some extraneous thins. i ordered the 102a,perf package, recaros, sync, tech package, reverse sensing system & security package, and the manual trans. this deleted any hope of the shaker sound system, spare tire, spoiler, side scoops, or other such items as a weight savings keeping the car below 3500lbs (i'll know for sure when it's delivered). it still has a premium radio in it tho. and with the performance pack I also get the track apps function enabled. and the 19" perelli p-zeros... are gonna go no where in the snow, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.