Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford Prices Focus ST-R Racecar From $98,995

7K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Arty 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

There aren't many American cars that approach $100,000. As excited as they were by the ZR1's performance figures, Corvette enthusiasts balked at how a 'Vette could cost so much. After steadily climbing since its announcement a few years ago, the Fisker Karma's base price just breached the $100k mark. And of course the Ferrari-slaying Ford GT went for a good $150k if you could get your hands on one, and was probably worth even more. But a Focus? You've got to be kidding, right?

No, we're not kidding, but this also isn't the same Focus filling shopping mall parking lots and rental fleets across America and around the world, either. This is the Focus ST-R, the turn-key racing car launched by Ford Racing back in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It packs a competition-spec 2.0 EcoBoost four, a full FIA-certified roll cage, racing brakes and a track-tuned suspension.

In short, it's all but completely ready to tackle any of a variety of touring car series the world over, from Grand-Am ST and SCCA World Challenge TC to the World Touring Car Championship and similar local series around the world. So while the reported $98,995 sticker price may seem like a lot for a Focus, it may be the turn-key bargain of the tin-top racing world.

See less See more
#6 ·
This

And does anyone have more info on the car?
The blurb from Edmund's leaves much to be desired ... what kind of management does it come with, how adjustable is the suspension, does it have A/C, what kind of power numbers, at what boost level, etc, etc.

If you're buying a 'race car' focus for $100K and you have to spend more on extra software/hardware to tune the car per your driver, it's a wasted $100K. And if 2 teams buy the same car it's just pointless, IROC then, a drivers race only.

I guess I just don't see the point.

#11 ·
The fact that it can compete out of the box in almost any touring car race series and is FIA certified for $100k makes it the deal of the century. And most of those series are driver's races as the cars are spec'd pretty similar. I value good driving and car setup over outright power superiority.

#12 ·
I'll bet other factory built race cars are just as expensive. That's really a bargain basement deal for private team racers, and I'm sure it's bargain basement performance as well.

#14 ·
^^^^^

Yes. It because it is an out of the box racecar that is certified for just about every racing league there is. I think its an awesome idea especially considering how popular track days are becoming. Ill be this car sells like crazy in Europe where the roads are all but impossible to go fast on anymore and track days are huge. Not to mention that great amateur racing leagues they have there.

#15 ·
I hope its a competitive car in World Challenge TC class:

http://www.world-challenge.com/

This would mean racing parts built for the 2012 will trickle down to us masses. Didn't really happen for spec focus, but if you have the money coming from pro teams, it allows you to get your cost down for race parts. Also looks like B-spec is going forward with the fiesta. 2012 could be a good year for ford in racing.

#19 ·
The ST-R race car has no interior except a full dash. Only has the drivers racing seat. It is not street legal - a pure race car not for most of us Focus owners

#20 ·
Part of me wants to say that its a great deal. A purpose built track car for under 100k is not half bad. I watched some footage of it racing, and its competitive, which is pretty awesome.

But the other part of me is saying "100k for a focus?!?!? its freaking front wheel drive!"

Not that im a hater, but i see no reason why somebody couldn't pick up a used Lotus Elise, rebuild a bit and drop a turbo on it, and smoke the ST-R for $30k less.

#21 ·
Anyone who has seen what goes into top level race car prep will likely agree that for Ford Racing this is likely at best a break even price point. High quality fabrication is not quick, not easy and, as a result, not cheap. Look at the NASCAR fab shops. They sell used radiators that are pretty dinged up for over $500 each. The TIG welding on the end tanks is beyond anything you can ever imagine. Seriously, you cannot stack actual dimes as well as these guys can TIG paper thin aluminum. The cost of doing small run stuff like this is really high since even if 50 of these are built, each one is a one-off.

My guess is that the parts and labor probably cost what they are charging for the car. Ford is using taking the hit on all the R&D as an advertizing expense. Try to duplicate what has been done with this car on your own dime without tapping into their knowledge and I will bet my last dollar you will be way over $100K.

There is small fortune to be made in racing, you just start with a large one.

#22 ·
I would look at buying the 24hr Nuerburgring ST-R for less money and swap the items for said series. I would have to contact them but I am sure I can get the car for about $75,000USD, ship it, swap the needed parts and still come in under $85,000USD on a proven endurance car. Good chance it has a VIN as well.

#25 ·
Has the ST-R had success on track. I can't find anything on line. Where has it raced and how did it place in the races.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.