Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST

806K views 1K replies 303 participants last post by  Arty 
#1 ·

Come Visit The Ford ST Team At FocusFest 2011:

Enthusiasts of the much-loved SVT Focus, take heart, and start your engines. Ford will deliver on its promise of a high-performance version of the next-generation Focus, previewing a muscular Focus ST at the Paris Motor Show Sept. 30. Targeted for global launch in 2012, ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global performance vehicles strategy. With its own 2.0-liter EcoBoost™, ST will offer enthusiasts an intoxicating mix of exhilarating performance and handling, not to mention a most addictive sound.

• Exciting new next-generation Ford Focus gears up for Paris launch of full production-ready range of bodystyles together for the first time
  • Global reveal of new high-performance 250 PS Focus ST for 2012 launch
  • New Mondeo and C-MAX ranges on show
  • Ford accelerates efforts to reduce CO2 emissions with high-efficiency Ford ECOnetic Technologies and Electrification feature displays
  • September 30: Alan Mulally and Stephen Odell to unveil the next-generation Focus family at 09.15 on the Ford stand in Hall 1

The exciting new next-generation Ford Focus range is the star attraction in Ford Motor Company's display at the 2010 Paris Motor Show on September 30.

For the first time, the complete global Ford Focus line-up of three production-ready dynamic bodystyles will be displayed together, providing customers with a full insight into this significant new model before it goes on sale in Europe and North America early in 2011.

Ford is also delivering on its promise to introduce a global performance version of the new Focus with a world premiere for the exciting flagship of the range, the muscular 250 PS Focus ST. The dramatic new ST will launch in early 2012 and will be revealed on September 30 at the Ford stand by Alan Mulally, Ford’s President and CEO, and Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe.

First Global Product
The formal launch of the full production-ready Focus range in Paris is highly significant for Ford, as it signals the introduction of the first truly global product developed under the Company’s ONE Ford strategy.

The Focus is Ford's most significant car range globally. Developed at Ford's Global centre of excellence for Small Cars in Germany for sale in over 120 markets worldwide, the next-generation model is the most important Focus yet and is created from Ford Motor Company's new global C segment platform with up to 80 per cent parts commonality around the world. This platform will underpin at least ten vehicles globally and account for some two million units of annual production by 2012.

With the complete range of three bodystyles on display in Paris for the first time – sporty five-door, elegant four-door and stylish wagon – show goers will have an exclusive opportunity to see and experience the car’s individual design and class leading technology first hand.

New Focus promises to outsmart its competitors by offering more affordable technologies and features than customers have ever experienced in this critical vehicle segment. Next-generation Focus also offers customers the highest standards of quality and detailed craftsmanship, plus outstanding fuel economy, and will take the legendary Focus driving dynamics to a new level.

Previewing the exciting new Focus ST
At the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, Ford Motor Company's group vice president for Global Product Development, Derrick Kuzak, promised that an exciting new performance version of the next generation Ford Focus was in development.

At Paris, Ford is delivering on that promise by revealing an early preview model of the exciting next-generation Ford Focus ST. Targeted for launch in all global markets from early 2012, the all-new Ford Focus ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global Performance Vehicles strategy.

The new range-topping Focus – which features a unique 250 PS version of the new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder Ford EcoBoost engine – will be completely true to Ford's ST heritage, offering driving enthusiasts an intoxicating cocktail of exhilarating performance and handling accompanied by an addictive sound.

Visitors to the Paris display also cannot fail to notice the show car’s highly distinctive sports exterior, which is finished in 'Tangerine Scream', a dramatic new body colour that reflects the new ST’s exciting and energetic character.

New Mondeo and C-MAX on Display
Taking their place alongside the next-generation Focus family will be five-door and wagon versions of the new Mondeo range, which was previewed at the recent Moscow International Automobile Salon. The Paris show sees the debut of the ultra-low CO2 Mondeo ECOnetic version. The Ford stand also showcases the latest S-MAX and Galaxy models which were launched earlier in 2010.

The all-new Ford C-MAX and Grand C-MAX will be represented by high series Titanium models fitted with a Ford EcoBoost 1.6-litre 180 PS petrol engine and the updated 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel. Bringing new levels of style and desirability to the compact Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) market, the all-new Ford C-MAX is the first production model using Ford's exciting new global C-segment platform. The Grand C-MAX also goes on sale in North America in late 2011.

Lower CO2 Emissions across the Ford Range
Ford is accelerating its efforts to minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions across its product range, and two important new entries to the Ford of Europe product portfolio are being displayed at Paris – a new Ford Mondeo ECOnetic model and a new Ford Ka derivative with standard Ford Auto-Start-Stop system.

These new models follow the significant new developments which have already been introduced during 2010, including the launch of the new high-efficiency Ford EcoBoost turbocharged direct injection petrol engine family and completely updated versions of the powerful yet highly fuel-efficient Duratorq TDCi diesel engines.

Ford is also moving forward with its European electrification program and will be displaying for the first time the core technology destined to drive its C-MAX PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), that will be produced at the Valencia plant in Spain and is due to go on sale in Europe from 2013.

Along with the wider introduction of low-CO2 Ford ECOnetic Technologies such as Eco Mode and Smart Regenerative Charging, Ford of Europe is on track to surpass its goal of a 30 per cent reduction in CO2 emissions from its new vehicles by 2020, relative to a 2006 model year baseline.

"The launch of the complete new Focus range, plus the global debut of the high-performance ST model, makes this Paris Show not only very exciting for Ford, but also highly significant," said Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. "With the all-new C-MAX also on the Paris stand, along with the latest Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy models, it’s clear that the pace of change within Ford remains as aggressive as ever."

See less See more
1 11
#1,326 ·
ST Facebook page Sunday:
Hi Everyone - I know there are a lot of questions out there about the ST3 package. Here's the deal, HID headlamps will now be offered as late availability. For now, all dealer stock orders for ST3 that were scheduled were updated to base ST, ST2 or were canceled. Nothing has been done to any of your ST3 retail orders until we sort out the timing for HIDs. Most of Ford engineering and manufacturing shuts down the week of July 4th, so I will not learn anything new until this coming week. I, too, took a couple of days off last week so I apologize for being off the grid! - Lisa Schoder Focus ST US Brand Manager

#1,328 ·
Lisa posted a bit of good news on the ST Facebook page on Tuesday:

"Ford ST Sorry about this taking you all by surprise. This timing was a initial worst case scenario that was incorporated into the new ford.com updates for 2013 model year that were in the works. The latest information that I learned yesterday is that HIDs will not be delayed nearly that long (i.e weeks not months). Again, as the plan solidifies, I will share with you." - Lisa Schoder Focus ST US Brand Manager

So, still a delay and still nothing concrete, but this sounds like good news none the less.

#1,329 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Focus ST fuel economy ratings are up. They not bad, but imo not that great either. I was expecting more to be honest. Not impressed....23 city / 32hwy. I was at least expecting 25 or 26 city and 35 hwy. Probably has to do with the transmission. I felt that way about the FrS/BRZ twins too, they only get 22/30, but if you shoot up to an automatic you get 25/34 which IMO is pretty good mileage from a NA boxer engine in a lightweight sports car. So I guess you have to give up some mpgs to row your own gears.

#1,337 ·
Bummer you can't get satilite radio w/ the base version. What torsen would fit in that trans? Is frpp going to come out w/ a lowering suspension kit? Intake system? Seems like the escape uses the same front brakes= 12.6''

#1,339 ·
I told my buddy at the dealer to order me two.. one red and one blue becuase I can't decide. He is a good guy and will do it even if I can't afford it... I bet I end up with a red one though. I really shouldn't but my 2005 ST is at 150,000 miles and it is in need of suspension and brakes and detail... hmmm.... any excuse I guess lol.

#1,342 ·
Most cars have 5th and 6th gear as over drives (4th gear being 1:1 or close to it).

Its not like they are going to make power. Those that shift to 6th tend to loose power and top end speed as its just for economy not performance.

I would like to see if Ford matched the final drive and trans ratios to the power band.

#1,345 ·
In my opinion if your driving for performance than you are usually running in a lower gear to keep the RPM's up. Sixth gear would probably not even be used.

Ya I only have 5 gears now but I will cruise around in 5th gear at times at 30-40 MPH to save a little gas. Seems to be the same with a 6 speed just cruising at 55-65.

You can't be lazy when it comes to a manual transmission. If your complaining about having to shift at highway speeds what are you going to do in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic?

#1,347 ·
I think there are 3 reasons people choose manuals. Sporting intentions, lower initial cost, and higher fuel economy. Higher fuel economy is probably the primary reason why a third of all cars sold in 1980 had a stick. But with todays automatics, manuals have lost that 3rd advantage. And in some cars, like the Focus Titanium, the 2nd advantage is gone too (they cost the same).

#1,348 ·
There's alot of manuals still on the road and you never know when you might have to drive one and having that knowledge comes in handy. I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to drive alot of cars I'd never be able to own and most were manuals and if I didn't possess that skill I would'a missed out on some neat experiences.

#1,353 ·
That's kinda what I'm getting at though - You're probably going to pay $2k to buy a set of HID's down the road, and the difrerence in price between the ST2 and ST3 is about the same. So if you are truly going to buy the HID's later, you may as well get the Nav and all the other stuff thrown in. You'd probably have better luck swapping your black leather heated seats with someone that has an ST2. But to each their own!

Think about it - if the SVT HID's were $850/each new, how much do you think the ST HID's (with LEDs and turning driving lights) will be??

#1,354 ·
I don't know if any member remembers that to install the older focus SVT HID's in a regular Focus was not just a plug and play affair. The HID's in the new Mustang's have a rather large relay for each of the headlights from the factory and if anyone had installed HID kits, they know of some of the problems getting them to turn on without a relay setup too. If you really want the HID's, you may want to just get the ST3 package as other members have stated and try to deal with the seats if you want the cloth-leather seats after you get your car. Ford does sell the Mustang Recaro seats but they are kind of high, I think almost $3,000 for them.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_RECARO_SEATS_2011_2012_MUSTANG_p/m-63660005-mb.htm

I don't know what the Focus ST2 seats would go for but I am sure it won't be cheap.
Just a thought.

#1,358 ·
Well,I don't think those other brands are just going to rest on their laerels and I'm sure they'll be paying attention to the ST plenty.

I can't wait til the car rags get an ST and run it hard against the competition and see what a real world production model does.

#1,359 ·
Auto Week just did a small article on the ST. Of course all was good. Darn now will have to compete with more people to get one. LOL Good luck getting one off the the lot for MSRP! Don't know if the rest of you guys ordering them are getting gouged though. Can't wait for a side by side comparison. I don't know if you guys read the under 30K sport car review Auto Week did a little while ago. Read if you get a chance. Ford Mustang V6 [smackbum] them.

#1,360 ·
quite a few people are getting under MSRP

#1,362 ·
I don't think North Dakota is in the market range where they could mark them up but in Cali or larger cities i could see it happening. I placed $500 down on my '99 Type R 6 months in advance (price was just over $25k) and when I when it was delivered they tried to stick $2500 on top of my purchase price but after a bunch of intense words I did get it out the door for sticker but $5000 seemed to be a common markup for cars that weren't pre ordered.

#1,365 ·
You're mistaken. Price gouging happens often here because of the oil fields. Also, travel for a better price if you want one.
Us regular folk are not eligible for X plan so that doesn't work. Somewhere somebody posted dealers with Vin numbers, base model cars and I thought they were tring to sell those for around 28K so there is some mark up for ya.
There's many ways to qualify for X-plan pricing. Here's one everybody can qualify for: shareholders who have held 100 shares for 6+ months qualify for 1 x-plan pin/year. Ford shares are hovering at about $9/share. X-plan takes $1800 off msrp for a ST with ST3 package and no other options. That's a $900 savings and if you sit on the stocks long enough they're likely to eventually go up in value (although they're going down right now due to recalls, weak European market and a decrease in US sales). But anyhow, yes you regular folk are eligible for x-plan pricing.

#1,363 ·
Us regular folk are not eligible for X plan so that doesn't work. Somewhere somebody posted dealers with Vin numbers, base model cars and I thought they were tring to sell those for around 28K so there is some mark up for ya.

#1,364 ·
You'd think Ford is interested in moving iron= one would think. I part I don't like is the options on the base car= all or nothing. Recaro's & a satalite stereo & nothing else. How hard is that?

#1,367 ·
I do not know how people get the amounts of the "X" plan cars but I know the base difference for the X plan is just over $1,000 and not even close to $1800. I do not know what the "ST3" package X plan charge is but just to get the amounts closer to reality. This amount is as of today so it may change later.

#1,374 ·

ST3=Equipment Group 202A (includes full leather Recaros, HIDs, Navigation, etc. From what I can see the X plan takes $1600 off MSRP and $476 off of equipment package 202A. How I arrived at $1800 in savings is show in the image. $28,930-27,021=$1,909.

The only problem is, the X-plan is entirely voluntary on the dealer's behalf. Dealers are not required to participate but receive a commission if they do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.