st3 leather seat modification - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades

Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2013-Current ST Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108063
What I Drive: 2002 gray zx3 2013 st3 White

Points 281, Level 5
Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 djkupfer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
st3 leather seat modification

Could someone tell me where to find the post that showed pictures of how to remove the bottom seat bolster wings for 2013 st3. I forgot where I saw it. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 25,778, Level 96
Points: 25,778, Level: 96 Points: 25,778, Level: 96 Points: 25,778, Level: 96
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 124 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Try searching the ST interior section if a search doesn't find anything here.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108063
What I Drive: 2002 gray zx3 2013 st3 White

Points 281, Level 5
Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5 Points: 281, Level: 5
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 djkupfer Good Standing Member
I tried searching ST interior and could not find the post.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 18,521, Level 86
Points: 18,521, Level: 86 Points: 18,521, Level: 86 Points: 18,521, Level: 86
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 22 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Google: Focus ST Recaro seat modification.

Some posts mention the full leather seats are rather hard to take apart.
The manual Recaro may be not as hard.
Other posts found mention the seats DO break in. If they only are a little annoying... They will get better.
The dealer mentioned some say to lay a board on the bolsters, and add a pile of weights to press them down
EDIT: Hey I saw a utube vid of taking the full leather Recaro seat out of the car and the bottom apart. It is easy.!!
The person in the vid sawed the plastic 'wings' which are the bolster/killer parts. no problem.

Jeez relocating the vid is impossible!
I hate that. Find something and think 'no problem' then try later to find it again... Not gonna happen.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 09-12-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 18,521, Level 86
Points: 18,521, Level: 86 Points: 18,521, Level: 86 Points: 18,521, Level: 86
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 22 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkupfer View Post
Could someone tell me where to find the post that showed pictures of how to remove the bottom seat bolster wings for 2013 st3. I forgot where I saw it. Thank you
Another thread here it is:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...mfortable.html

The one important pic missing is where he actually CUTS OFF the plastic 'wings' on the seat bottom. All you get to see is the results after the wings are cut off.

Another thread is:(this one has some great pics of the cut/ not cut seat bolsters at Page 5, not the first page)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...ont-seats.html

If I did it I might not cut the wings all the way off.
Three possible ways. One just cut off the top inch of the plastic. (curving it some, then fill in the open space IN the plastic with a polyurethane to give it back the round top surface. This would solve a lot of the pinch.

The second way would be: i would try cutting the inner side of each wing, Keeping the outer side wing plastic fully intact. Then the 'wings' can bend outward/downward with little problem, but some resistance, just not near the original stiffness. (Maybe even cut and add a real hinge in there? And they still hold the seat shape when unoccupied. I think that would be a better long term solution. The projecting stiffening block on the inside of each plastic side bolster would also need to be cut out. So it would not rise up and poke. Also the top of the wing might be trimmed a bit so when tilting it does not stretch or tear the material above it.

A 3rd way..
Cut the wings off. but leave them IN the space. Then they would bend to the side, but not be sticking you in the thighs. Maybe cutting off that small "T" stiffening part from the inside face of each plastic bolster part. Then the shape in in the seat. and just forming it, without poking your legs.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 09-12-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 25,778, Level 96
Points: 25,778, Level: 96 Points: 25,778, Level: 96 Points: 25,778, Level: 96
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 124 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
There's some info., I'll stick this in the ST Interior section to make it easier to find...

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

Points 508, Level 10
Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Finding this thread this evening was very timely for me. As I was pondering upgrading my SE to an ST this past month or so I have been reading and watching videos. Today I watched the Youtube video of the Motor Trend comparison between the ST and the WRX. The seat was described as causing discomfort after only 30 minutes. As my commute to work is 45-60 minutes it ruled the St out of contention as an SE 'upgrade.'

As much as I dislike the idea of chopping into a $30k car it is nice to know there may be a 'fix' to the Recaro seat discomfort. ST back on the menu? We'll see!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

Points 832, Level 15
Points: 832, Level: 15 Points: 832, Level: 15 Points: 832, Level: 15
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
Finding this thread this evening was very timely for me. As I was pondering upgrading my SE to an ST this past month or so I have been reading and watching videos. Today I watched the Youtube video of the Motor Trend comparison between the ST and the WRX. The seat was described as causing discomfort after only 30 minutes. As my commute to work is 45-60 minutes it ruled the St out of contention as an SE 'upgrade.'

As much as I dislike the idea of chopping into a $30k car it is nice to know there may be a 'fix' to the Recaro seat discomfort. ST back on the menu? We'll see!
As far as I know this should only be the Recaro seats that have the problem. There are STs without Recaros.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 11,962, Level 71
Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 38 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post

I've driven my ST for hours at a time with the Recaro seats and no discomfort, so yeah I don't buy that they are terrible for everyone. They do break in a bit, but it was good right out of the gate imo. They are more comfortable and secure feeling than the base Focus seats. My SEL and SE have the SE sport seat/ titanium sport seat with heated cloth pads, but the seat base is a bit more uncomfortable in those on longer drives than the Recaros are to me.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

Points 508, Level 10
Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10 Points: 508, Level: 10
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlycodered View Post
As far as I know this should only be the Recaro seats that have the problem. There are STs without Recaros.
ST2 and ST3 come with them for 2015 and I have been working up the numbers for an ST3 to get the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I've driven my ST for hours at a time with the Recaro seats and no discomfort, so yeah I don't buy that they are terrible for everyone. They do break in a bit, but it was good right out of the gate imo. They are more comfortable and secure feeling than the base Focus seats. My SEL and SE have the SE sport seat/ titanium sport seat with heated cloth pads, but the seat base is a bit more uncomfortable in those on longer drives than the Recaros are to me.
All the complaints I have read/watched now were from people on the larger side and that would be me (5'10" and 230 lbs). I suppose I need to try them out before I take the car off the list for good. Thanks!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.