Auto-dimming rear view mirror - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades

Focus ST Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2013-Current ST Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41306
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silve SVTF

Points 2,858, Level 32
Points: 2,858, Level: 32 Points: 2,858, Level: 32 Points: 2,858, Level: 32
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Stooge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Good job on this man. Sounds like you got it all worked up. Way to go gettin' it done yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 126962
What I Drive: 2014 Focus Hatch Ti Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Rob Ocelot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just wired up a Gentex 50GENK-2A mirror (basic dimming, no frills) to my Titanium hatch and it was dead easy. Hardest part was removing the original mirror. Used an Add-A-Circuit fuse extender off Fuse 85 (7.5A original, and put a 3A fuse inline with it -- probably not necessary as the mirror draws less than 500mA). Just snake the wires under the headliner, under the top of the A pillar (easy to pull out a bit and get the wires in there) and down the passenger door weather stripping and out under the glove box). You will need to do either some minimal soldering to connect the Gentex wire to the Add-A-Circuit line or you can use a vampire clip that is supplied in the Gentex kit. There's a convenient grounding bolt near the fusebox for the mirror ground.

The beauty of this install is that it can be cleanly removed and the stock mirror put back in with no splices or other warranty-denying issues.

Bonus is that unlike the no-longer-offered factory installed mirror the 50GENK-2A has an off switch if you temporarily don't need the dimming function.

Total cost $50 CDN -- $35 for mirror off local Kijiji, $15 for the Add-A-Circuit. Cheapest I've seen for new 50GENK-2A's is $80 online. As a factory option I believe it cost you around $150-200 for the dimming mirror.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 7,246, Level 56
Points: 7,246, Level: 56 Points: 7,246, Level: 56 Points: 7,246, Level: 56
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I've been thinking about doing this to my 02 ZX3.

You just made my mind up for me.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93756
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum Ti Hatch All Options!

Points 302, Level 6
Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 PandaCar Good Standing Member
Odd that the ST(3) wouldn't have this as standard, along with back-up camera/sensors, home-link buttons, rain sensing wipers (not so important), or at least make these optional.
I own 2012 Titanium with all options, including park assist (useful, if only for front sensors), and you get used to having these little "conveniences".
Got opportunity to buy used 2013 ST3, traded at local Chrysler dealer, and was surprised, that these now commonplace items, were missing.
Loved the car though, and haven't driven a stick for many years, having a hard time justifying $8500 difference (including new 7/200000 km (125,000 mile) Premium Care.
If wife says go for it (yeah right!), then maybe? Black on Black leather Recaro's and Black rims and steel winter's as bonus. Should I ?:D
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116150
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST w/ST3 pack

Points 711, Level 14
Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14 Points: 711, Level: 14
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Anthony2816 Good Standing Member
Yes, you should. I own a 2013 ST3, and three 2013 Titaniums (for wife, daughter and mother in law). Despite the shortcomings you mentioned, I still love the ST3. It still has a bunch of cool little features, but I did spend the aforementioned $5 to get an auto-dimming rearview mirror from a junk yard, and $50 for a set of rear bumper radar sensors with a little digital display of the number of feet I've got clear behind me. For me, that's an adequate replacement for a camera or automatic parking.

All the Titaniums have the handling package, but my ST3 handles better, has better lateral traction, a bunch more horsepower, seats that hold me in place, much better headlights, a great gearbox and shifter, and the tightest steering you could want. As long as you enjoy shifting, go for it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.