Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fuel Mileage?

18K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  Terry921 
#1 ·
Just curious what kind of city/hwy/mixed driving mileage you guys are getting out of your ST's? I'm wanting to get one, but if I'm spending an extra $100 on fuel over my SES (29-30mpg normally), I'll need to budget accordingly, maybe get the ST2 instead of the ST3 like I'd really like to make up for it.

#3 ·
dont remember where i read it but someone was saying that when realy getting on the gas he was getting about 8mpg but normal city driving was around 25 dont remember anything for highway...

#4 ·
8mpg sounds about right for a safe tune on a turbo car. Boost eats fuel to survive.

25mpg in the city is actually very good for what these cars weigh. Surprising, actually.

Still wondering about highway averages if anyone has driven a full tank out on a road trip.

#5 ·
One of the major thing's I don't like is the smallest 12.5 gal. tank. Whats up w/ that? Emmisions or cafe standards? at least 2+ gals. would get some range.

#7 ·
Typically I see 30mpg during my normal daily commute, I drive 60miles a day bask roads and highway. I actually get better millage on the back roads doing 10 over but with the power the car has I can run 50 in 6th.
I also have sat in stop and go traffic and it wasn’t horrible probably around 25mpg.
But your millage will just depend on how you drive it, keep the rpm’s down and out of the boost.

#25 ·
I believe my new owners manual says a 12.4 gallon tank. My first tank I got an average of 19mpg...but I was smashing everywhere I went. We'll see how this next one turns out lol

#27 ·
I have K&N on my Range Rover and what I'm hearing from the car guys is it lets too much dust/dirt into the engine. Great for racing but bad for longevity. They are recommending a full synthetic fiber replacement like the ones Amsoil makes. So that's what I'm going to hunt down.

#28 ·
next 2 tanks averaged about 21mpg with not even driving it all that hard, i've been getting about 250 miles per tank...not sure how ppl are seeing 350+ miles per tank?

#30 ·
Racing up & down old La Honda rd, huh? Been yrs since I've been on that road.[driving] I always like going up & down hiway 17= blood alley.

#32 ·
I get around 28mpg with mixed driving, mostly highway at 55 mph. I've gotten up to 36 babying the throttle to death and going around 45. If you guys have done mods and noticed better MPG throw that up. I'm especially interested in the tuning segment. I noticed alot smoother response and better MPG in my 02 SVT with the tom tune.

#33 ·
Well your MPG's can very alot with the 13 ST. Kicking it in boost is so much fun but you sure do watch the MPG's drop when you do that. I have seen 19-20 city driving when hitting the boost alot to 27-28 when using littl to no boost. I have 3700 miles on mine now and I notice the MPG's are getting better with age. I just took a trip to Maine and saw 35MPG with some Interstate and secondary highway driving. But you should average 30-32 MPG's on the Interstate just doing a steady cruise.

#39 ·
I've had mine for a year with 25,000 on her and I average 28.

#40 ·
my ST has a drinking problem...

Wow, you are all getting so much better mpg than me. I cant be driving that different, except that i don't do as much freeway. But i love the
refined character of this car around town, so I'm not gunning at every light or anything...Getting 20ish mpg with 1000mi... [goofydrunk]
Does seem like its getting a little better with age, even though I'm getting on it more, sometimes shamelessly...
Took it very easy first 500miles. Mostly around town. Did get higher with freeway driving. Used to getting 19-21 mpg in my cooper S, so I'm not disappointed...then again, I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised...
I had a golf TDI (for 6 months) and was getting 35-40mpg, which I loved. Couldn't live with the handling though ...

#41 ·

I am about to hit 2,000 miles on my ST3 and I have mostly been on country roads in Germany and on the Autobahn and I am averaging about 26 mpg. For about half of my driving I am limited from really opening up and putting my foot down because of traffic but sometimes I do push the car. The car wants to be pushed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.