Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stock 2013 Ford Focus ST Drag Run

32K views 102 replies 34 participants last post by  blkfocuszx3 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I don't think it'll hit a 13 stock unless you strip out some of the interior. i'm seeing alot of low 6s 0-60 times from a few tests and that puts it in the mid 14s but I think a very low 14 is possible but no 13s in a showroom stock car.

#94 ·
13's are possible, full interior too. 60fts are slow but sort of fast for a FWD and experienced driver.

SRT-4's (Neon) with similar power did 13's its all about hooking it up, most people CAN'T DRIVE and/or have poor track conditions.

I had boost leaks with my '03 SRT-4 so it ran high 14's at 3700ft above sea level. Once I got the boost leaks sorted out, Stage 1, 23" slick, 3" exhaust it ran 13.5. Ported Intake, and Exhaust Manifold, clipped turbo 16psi = 12.74@106

It doesn't take much but traction is your biggest issue. Slicks dropped 60fts from 2.2-2.3 down to 1.78-1.80 on average.

2 tenths at the start (60ft) doubled at the end of the strip. Knock the 60ft down to 2 flat and it should run 14 flat if not 13.9. 97mph tells you there's enough power to do 13's stock.

The problem with many of the newer FWD performance cars is they are built for balanced performance, so they put huge brakes on them (Like the Caliber SRT-4 had) which limits your wheel sizes. On the Neon SRT-4, 14" wheels was min you can't go smaller and use a 24.5" slick without running a smaller non-Turbo Neon rotor. Same on Calibers you have to change the stock brake rotor out to use 15" wheel and some slicks.

The smallest wheel on the Focus I think are 15"s but the ST has some sort of Brembo type package and those wheels won't fit.

However that said, the aftermarket is addressing this with larger (18") drag radials that will work on FWD cars.

I targeted the ST back when they said "One Ford" and the rumors started flying.

Depending on several things, I may get one in 2014 or the Dart SRT-4, we'll see.

#6 ·
That's amazing... I've seen a SVTF with only an intake and cat-back run 13's at AAA Speedway in Cali. Only "weight savings" was removing the rear bench and having less than 1/4 tank of gas.

#34 ·
I call complete B.S. on this. intake and exhaust do almost nothing to an SVTF. Most SVTFs with the JRSC had a hard time trying to get 13s.

Is there a youtube video of that, or time slips somewhere on the forum? All I've seen are low - mid 15s with bolt-ons. That'd be pretty impressive if so.

EDIT: Assuming you're referring to NA Foci
D23 Foci hit 14s easily with mild bolt ons. A buddy here in Michigan ran 14.5 with intake, exhaust, header, cams, and a tune. (The car was NOT tuned for the cams.) He also put down 180whp on the same setup.

#7 ·
I'm betting an intake and exhaust on the ST should drop it close to another half second. My stock '93 Eclipse GSX ran 15.7s in stock trim at 5800ft (high 14s at sea level) and with just an HKS intake and 2.5" exhaust turned a 15.1 which set me right up with a Z28 of the same vintage. Can't wait to see how the mods respond on the ST.

#11 ·
Is there a youtube video of that, or time slips somewhere on the forum? All I've seen are low - mid 15s with bolt-ons. That'd be pretty impressive if so.

EDIT: Assuming you're referring to NA Foci

#12 ·
Scratch in third--not bad. don't worry--these will get MUCH faster once some bolt-ons and tuning are available.

#16 ·
Reaction time has nothing to do with the 1/4 mile time. You can sit at the light for a full minute and your time doesn't actually start til your car moves forward and you'd still run the same even if you hit a perfect light. The reaction time is simply the time it takes you to break the beams and no bearing on the 1/4 mile. The ST will not run a 13 in showroom stock trim.

#23 ·
If it's just bracket racing at the strip it'll just cost the price of admission with a stock car but if you want to go faster the cost will keep going up. With autoxing you have to be mindful of mods if you want to compete in a certain class and be competitive but with my experiences autoxing costs involve mostly tires,rims and brakes even if the car is in the stock classes.

The only problem with both sports is the waiting around for just a handful of runs (usually only 3 with autoxing) but with a dragstrip it works better for the spectators and is a permenant facility while autoxing around here is setup in random parking lots around the state. Yes,turning does add alot more fun to the drives but wasn't as accessible for me when I had a nice NHRA facility 10 minutes from my house.

#27 ·
I just don't see the point in buying a $25k+ vehicle with these kinds of abilities and wasting your time running 14 second 1/4 mile times...
Especially coming from someone who's already got a car made for drag racing (2011 Mustang, according to your signature)

Obviously, this is America and you're welcome to spend your money however you like but I still miss the point.

Buickboy said:
I dont see why someone should turn their nose up at a cheap and easy form of racing
I'm not turning my nose up at drag racing, I'm trying to understand why someone would buy a car designed for corner carving and ONLY drag race it.

#30 ·
I just don't see the point in buying a $25k+ vehicle with these kinds of abilities and wasting your time running 14 second 1/4 mile times...
Especially coming from someone who's already got a car made for drag racing (2011 Mustang, according to your signature)

Obviously, this is America and you're welcome to spend your money however you like but I still miss the point.

I'm not turning my nose up at drag racing, I'm trying to understand why someone would buy a car designed for corner carving and ONLY drag race it.
I haven't read a thing about people buying these JUST to drag race. There's no harm in running it anyway

I'm sure these will be pretty quick once the tuning options come out and someone bolts up a set of drag tires

Mustang's a 2012 and will be auto-x'd btw. No sense in limiting a car to one kind of track

#28 ·
Who said somebody was only going to drag race it? The nice thing about 1/4 mile times is you can make comparisons across the country with fellow drivers since the strip is consistent but all autox courses are designed different so it's harder to trash talk.

#29 ·
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not buying this car to do ANY sort of racing. It has four doors, has sporty handling, reasonable power, and it looks good. I have two kids to haul around. I will take it to the dragstrip once, at my wife's request because she wants to see what it'll do. I will not be modding the ST at all. It's a fun daily driver car to me, that's it. I'm super pumped for it to actually arrive because it's a gonna be a blast to have as a daily. That and I've turned out to be not a huge fan of my current SVTF.

To each their own man. We can all get along.

#56 ·
BUT. . . it smoked the tires the entire length of the 1/4 mile. Put a set of slicks on that bad boy and you would see a BIG difference. Buddy of mine had a Boss429, ran 14.50's with stock tires - threw on a pair of slicks one day and it ran in the 12.80's with an amateur driver. These cars (Hemi/Boss/Bowties/Cobra Jets) were animals, problem was getting the power to the pavement. . .

Wig

#33 ·
Yeah, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants. "Dude, that chick in the SUV just beat your ST!!"

Yeah, that's the V6 Rav4 AWD. According to some of this: remove the back seat, spare tire, and hit the 13's in a Rav4!!!

#35 ·
Kyle... I'd have to see if my old roommate has the slips... She was a member on here until she sold her SVTF. 1FSTFOC... You can look her up!

#36 ·
Slips aren't proof, because who knows what's done to the car. She was spraying or boosted to hit 13s in an SVTF. Or the car was stripped to under 2000lbs. There is no other way a 2500+lbs car with maybe 150whp is running 13s unless the drag strip is down hill.

#37 ·
You don't have to be a douche man... I know what she had on the car and I was at the strip when she did it. No need to get hurt cause it was a girl.

Anyway, stay on topic

#38 ·
Douche? Sounds like you are butt hurt, I don't care if she's a girl, where the hell did that come from? My point is that unless the car was fully stripped or boosted, you are lying or she was, or you read the wrong side of the time slip. That's all. The car can't defy physics.

#40 ·
The 1000 ft strip makes almost perfect sense. What drag strip was this at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.