Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2015 - Is an RS Focus in your future?

73K views 342 replies 105 participants last post by  Gi_Jo_Nathan 
#1 ·
2015 Ford Focus RS

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-focus-rs-expected-2015

The interwebs overfloweth this week with more anxious reports of the return of Ford’s compact giant slayer, the Focus RS. Britain’s Autocar made the boldest claims of the bunch, going so far as to essentially state that the RS is a done deal, tossing in some rendered images to sweeten the story. While the Autocar report neglects to name names, they claim sources at Ford report that the RS is under development, and “sign-off for the project is imminent, dependent on final analysis showing a business case for it to sit beside the new, European-bound Mustang, which is confirmed for 2014.”

Car and Driver has been on the trail of a new Focus RS for a few months now, so we thought we’d reach out to our own sources at Ford for a quick update on the RS situation. First, our insiders were quick to tell us that it’s not uncommon for engineers working on a project to “leak” information in hopes of influencing corporate decisions when it comes time approve a future product, which leads us to believe at least a few Ford engineers are clinging to hopes of a rebirth of the hot-hatch version of the Focus. That said, our sources indicated that if the RS does, in fact, make the jump from fanboy fiction to a genuine showroom artifact, it almost certainly would be a global vehicle, citing the company’s decision to take the Edge and Mustang to Europe as examples of the company’s dedication to the One Ford strategy.

One of the most-talked-about hurdles to the fruition of a new Focus RS is how it would sit in Ford’s lineup alongside the Mustang. If the RS were produced, it likely would produce as much power as a V-6–powered Mustang, and the pair’s prices wouldn’t differ too much, either. However, Autocar reports that Ford sees these cars satisfying two different market, calling them “complementary” to one another.

Do you think the Ford Focus RS will be US Bound? discuss:

See less See more
#134 ·
I like the Golf .:R, but I think I'd probably go with a Volvo C30 Polstar if we ever get a legit one --but the Polstar in the US is just a cool color on a normal C30. They left of the BBK, the better T5 bottom end, and the Haldex w/ a legit twin limited slip.

The next gen Golf .:R will be diesel, and THAT is tempting...

GTis are a complete and total waste of money for a number of reasons.

#1 The VW O2Q transmission is crap. Brass shift forks between gears 2&3 with rivets --when they inevitably blow the case is shot. THe OA4 and O2M are both better transmissions --the O2M can also blow, but the shift forks are 4-5 which is far less likely to be done quickly than the 2-3 shift.

ALL VAG DSG trannys have issues. The Chineese government said they were unsafe --and it's not like the Chineese usually complains about safety...

#2 The TSI motor was a quick release because of the problems with the first gen FSI --but the FSI was redone, rebadged TFSI, and is still better.

#3 Intake-exhaust-tune and a 2.5L is faster. By the time you spend $2k+ on a snail upgrade --shove a snail on the 2.5L which holds 400WHP on the stock internals. The 2.5L is actually stronger than the VR6 --there's a reason the TTRS uses the same block casting as a 2.5L --it's very similar to the left side of the Audi R8.

#4 The interior is nothing special. It's the same as the base models, and the Focus ST is more comfortable. The .:R models however are sexy AND more comfortable.

BTW I all this because I currently have a heavily modified 2.5L --that will be a 2.5T by the end of the year. I'm stopping at about 350WHP --because I want to keep the car looking like I did it with OEM+ parts. The only aftermarket parts in the whole turbo setup will be the manifold and throttlebody pipe. The internals are from a TTRS, downpipe and cat are coming off a TTS, The catback is from a GTi, the intercooler and snail from an Audi S3 and hoses off a Golf R as are most of my suspension parts --the brakes are coming off a Toureg 17Z --and they're 8-pot Brembos.

The coolset thing about VAG is OEM+. Th only easier company for OEM+ stuff is Volvo --with C30s you don't even have to do any welding to swap the AWD...

#135 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't want to own a DSG box. They're cool and all, but from my understanding, not made to the same spec as the S-tronic units. Row my gears or cry some tears, I say.

The Golf R is one of the cars both my fiancee and I can agree on (we're both car nerds, so we're very passionate about the kinds of cars we like. I'm convinced I'm done for if we ever find an FD3S in our budget. There wouldn't be anything stoping the chaos).

#136 ·
The Golf R is a pig in stock form. Its not any quicker than the GTI if you are driving under 100. The Focus ST is more fun and enjoyable in almost every way. It is also showroom poison. The last R needed $6000 in rebates to move metal. If they throw that much on the hood, I'll buy one, like I did with an R32.

I understand that with modifications you are looking at 300+ HP with a more solid driveline than a GTI, but for resale and durability sake, its best to keep an R model VW unmolested.

#137 ·
Doesn't Tom tune 2012 STs to about 300WHP otherwise stock? I'd be driving one if Ford made a 3 door. I just can't bring myself to drive a 5 door --damn pillers are all up in my face, and it makes me feel old. I'm nearly 30, and I don't like remembering that...

In real world driving a 2.5L with an intake and a pulley running 93 outruns a GTi on 87. A GTi comes on these retardedly heavy wheels that slow it down horribly compared to any of the stock options on a 2.5L. I've got ultralights, and without an SRI, when I did my final drive I was already leaving GTis well behind me. My car won't be worth shit resale, but that's more from putting 40K miles a year on my cars than the mods IMO.

Also, I agree that a Golf .:R sucks stock. So did the 2008 .:R32. The 2004 .:R32 was epic stock, but I'd probably still rather have an SVT. Their biggest problem is that the stock Haldex controller is shit.

#142 ·
You all should start paying very close attention to what is being said in Europe in the near future.

#145 ·
Currently massaging my 04 SVT for long term ownership. Supercharging sometime in the future to go with the Konis, Vogtland springs, and Borla. This car however, is giving me a reason to own two Foci and a Mustang when I was looking to get just the pony. Ford,if you bring it I'll find the money for both!

#151 ·
Would love to see this happen, but Ford's biggest mistake will be building this as a 5 door only. I refuse to buy a performance car with more than two doors on the side.

#153 ·
^^ It's going to be 5 door and FWD if they make it. If it were AWD it'd cost $50k+ as the platform isn't built to handle AWD.

#154 ·
That's too bad since I can't see paying over $30k for a fwd and 300+hp. The ST has torque steer issues and gets jumpy on uneven pavement so all that would be amplified. The base WRX already has a full second in the 1/4 on the ST with only about 10 more ponies and the RS would have to at least give the STI a run to get americans to shell out alot of money for a pricey Focus since it's still an econobox at heart. I know it's not all about the drag race but it's a number we all can relate other cars to and the Subis aren't slouches on a road course either.

#155 ·
1. The ST has no mechanical limited-slip, and no revo knuckle. (Both the RS should have, as I can't see Ford going backwards.)

2. The WRX is quicker at 0-60 and 1/4 miles based on a very nasty launch, which will significantly shorten the life of your car. AWD is nice, it also gets SUV mileage. (same ratings as a Ford Edge AWD 3.5L)

3. Almost every comparison test of the WRX, and the ST, the ST get's chosen. More neutral, just as fun, and a far, far, far better interior/tech. (Ever listened to the stereo in a WRX or STi? Sounds like a mid 90s GM car.)

#156 ·
As much as I think it would be cool to see an AWD RS (I know it won't happen), FWD can certainly be fast and practical. Case in point is the fast yet still craptacular turbo Cobalt SS.

Car and Driver Lighning Lap times:
89 3:13.0 CHEVROLET COBALT SS LL1 11/08
90 3:13.2 BMW 335i LL2 2/13
91 3:13.3 FORD MUSTANG GT LL1 2/10
92 3:13.3 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION MR LL2 11/08
93 3:13.5 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX MR LL1 11/06
94 3:13.7 BMW 135i COUPE LL2 11/08
95 3:13.8 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE 3.8 R-SPEC LL1 2/11
96 3:13.8 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI SEDAN LL2 2/11
97 3:13.8 BMW 335is LL2 2/12
98 3:13.9 HYUNDAI GENESIS 3.8 R-SPEC LL1 2/13
99 3:14.0 LEXUS IS F LL2 11/08
100 3:14.0 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R LL2 2/12
etc. etc.

I believe the SS was faster around the 'Ring than the last RS as well. The main lingering problems of FWD are of course torque steer and standstill acceleration. The ST does a decent job of handling torque steer, and it can be assumed that the RS will do even better with Revoknuckle. Understeer is no longer a problem with FWD, as demonstrated by the ST.

Oh, and the RS is still not confirmed for US release...

#158 ·
you guys whining that you won't buy the RS if it is only FWD wouldn't be buying it if it were AWD either, lets be honest. FWD technology has come a LONG way in the last 5yrs, and Ford is at the top of their game with it. The last RS was nothing short of totally impressive for a FWD car and if I'm not mistaken performed better than a comparable STi when tested by Car & Driver. Revoknuckle and a LSD will give the RS all sorts of avantages over the current Focus ST.....couple that with a bunch more power, and I really think it will be beating up on the "AWD giants", all with way more style and personality.

In summation: IF the focus RS is released here, it IS going to be a fantastic car.....and anyone who blatently refuses to drive/buy it solely because it "doesn't have AWD like the competition" would be an idiot for ignoring it.

#159 ·
I do think it will be an awesome car but I just don't see it being a reality on these shores for the money they'll ask for one. Style and personality is all subjective and one's opinion and we do get a restyled WRX/STI next year with ever more ponies and the Subi aftermarket is quite plentiful. Next year we also get a 275hp BRZ in STI trim.

I won't ignore an RS if it comes out but here in Colorado AWD is the driveline of choice and having all season performance was a big deal for me but I like a huge variety of cars no matter where the power is being put down.

#160 ·
If it comes in somewhere in between STi/Evo and Golf R money, it'll sell.

#161 ·
I'm not so sure about that with the STs sitting on showroom floors collecting a little bit of dust and dealers had to remove the "market adjusted" prices real quick. Remember Ford expected to sell 8000 STs in the first year and they aren't even half way there yet but summer's coming. The local Ford dealer here has two ST3s that have been there for over two months and no takers.
I can't see a Focus selling in the high $30k range except to the rabid Focus enthusiasts on these types of Forums but I'm not sure there's enough of them for Ford to bring one here. only time will tell but I think it'll be a long wait.

#162 ·
I think the ST's are sitting for a couple of reasons:

-you can't cherry pick options like you used to be able to when the SVT's were new
-People are waiting to see if any incentives will be offered to get them for a better deal
-people are hesitant to buy the first year of a "new" vehicle, to wait for any prospective bugs to be worked out
-possibly awaiting tax returns
-weather (as you said, summer is JUST about to start, that's when people will want to DRIVE something like the ST)
-possibility of ill-informed public thinking the recalls on the 1.6ecoboost in the fusion/escape are related.

#163 ·
Good reasons and I really wanted to swing an ST but it didn't make sense when the STI and my 4Runner both suck on my teet too. The SE is my wife's car and I was lucky enough to talk her into better wheels/tires and now I'm working on her for a new spoiler and exhaust.
I love the ST's overall look and they are so uncommon here unlike the several STIs I see here daily.

#164 ·
"On August 4, 2011 Ford's global boss for small cars, Gunnar Herrmann, revealed to magazine Drive that the third iteration of the hot-hatch was in the works. New RS will be FWD with more than 305 hp (227 KW) which will be transferred to the road with so-called ‘Revoknuckle’ suspension. The new RS is expected in late 2013 or 2014 both in Europe, North America and the rest of the world."

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/new-focus-rs-hothatch-is-go-20110804-1id4j.html

Put the puzzle pieces together.

#165 ·
Isn't that article from August 2011? There's been a lot of water under the economic and automotive bridges in the time span between then and now. Even if it does get released in North America I'm not sure what the appeal will be for the go-fast guys given that a new WRX Sti with 305 horsepower with 4 wheel drive is available now, unless the price is just a bit higher than the ST. I think the RS will most likely be too little too late. I think I'd rather have a rear wheel drive BRZ myself if I was shopping for a fun performance car but I know that doesn't have the power in the same league.

#170 ·
The One Ford idea where the cars are as identical as possible all over the world seems to be making the company very rich. Why is the American Ford organization still resisting major parts of it? Where is our Focus RS, where are the other Focus options available in other countries? Making the cars and options as identical as possible all over the world WORKS! Stop dumbing down and homogenizing the US cars already and Ford will grow even richer!

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co.'s profits rose to $1.6 billion during the first quarter, led by the highest profit in North America since at least 2000.

The Dearborn automaker's profits rose for the 15th consecutive quarter, up 15.4 percent to 41 cents per share, compared to last year's first quarter, when the company posted a $1.4 billion profit, or 39 cents per share.

This year's first-quarter earnings per share also topped first-call analyst expectations of 37 cents per share.

Revenue jumped approximately 10 percent to $35.8 billion.

"Our strong first-quarter results provide further proof that our One Ford plan continues to deliver," Ford CEO Alan Mulally said Wednesday in a statement, referring to the company's global consolidation and new products plan.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...an-results?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

#171 ·
Cars for each market works pretty well. The F-150 wouldn't exist as it currently does now. Pretty big seller.

The ST has somewhat poor sales numbers because an optioned ST is pretty expensive and pushes it into some stiff competition. For the price of an ST2/ST3, I'll start cross shopping a base Mustang GT, WRX and so on. Base ST price is nice, around the $23k mark, but those options just kill the value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.