Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2015 - Is an RS Focus in your future?

73K views 342 replies 105 participants last post by  Gi_Jo_Nathan 
#1 ·
2015 Ford Focus RS

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-focus-rs-expected-2015

The interwebs overfloweth this week with more anxious reports of the return of Ford’s compact giant slayer, the Focus RS. Britain’s Autocar made the boldest claims of the bunch, going so far as to essentially state that the RS is a done deal, tossing in some rendered images to sweeten the story. While the Autocar report neglects to name names, they claim sources at Ford report that the RS is under development, and “sign-off for the project is imminent, dependent on final analysis showing a business case for it to sit beside the new, European-bound Mustang, which is confirmed for 2014.”

Car and Driver has been on the trail of a new Focus RS for a few months now, so we thought we’d reach out to our own sources at Ford for a quick update on the RS situation. First, our insiders were quick to tell us that it’s not uncommon for engineers working on a project to “leak” information in hopes of influencing corporate decisions when it comes time approve a future product, which leads us to believe at least a few Ford engineers are clinging to hopes of a rebirth of the hot-hatch version of the Focus. That said, our sources indicated that if the RS does, in fact, make the jump from fanboy fiction to a genuine showroom artifact, it almost certainly would be a global vehicle, citing the company’s decision to take the Edge and Mustang to Europe as examples of the company’s dedication to the One Ford strategy.

One of the most-talked-about hurdles to the fruition of a new Focus RS is how it would sit in Ford’s lineup alongside the Mustang. If the RS were produced, it likely would produce as much power as a V-6–powered Mustang, and the pair’s prices wouldn’t differ too much, either. However, Autocar reports that Ford sees these cars satisfying two different market, calling them “complementary” to one another.

Do you think the Ford Focus RS will be US Bound? discuss:

See less See more
#3 ·
Barb Samardzich, vice president of product development for Ford Europe, told Autocar: “We’ve concentrated on developing cars for world markets, and you can see the result of that with the Edge and Mustang scheduled to come to Europe, and the Fiesta and Focus in the US. Our ‘One Ford’ policy has succeeded in pushing our mainstream products further than ever, and the next step is to provide customers with more exemplary, smaller-volume highlight products.
However, Samardzich also revealed to Autocar that recent studies concluded customers for Ford’s high-performance vehicles were divided into very different groups. This is believed to have significantly strengthened the case for a Focus RS by abating fears that it would cannibalise Focus ST or Mustang sales.
These make it sound like it's got a decent shot of hitting our shore.

#110 ·
If it's not AWD, then count me out. This thing is going to cost Golf R or Subaru STI money --it'd better haul ass in the dirt.

This is why it probably won't happen. Ford is still stuck in a useless fight with Government Motors making outdated, inefficent boxes than the hot hatchbacks we really want. The SVT was one of the best cars I have ever been behind the wheel of, but even the Fiesta ST will only come in a 5door here...

#20 ·
The new Focus RS’s case is also strengthened considerably because it’s expected to use a new, Ford-developed 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder tuned to around 330bhp. The engine, which will also feature in the Mustang, will comfortably exceed the output of the last Focus RS’s Volvo-derived 2.5-litre five-pot that generated 301bhp, or 345bhp in the RS500. It will make use of latest turbo and direct-injection technology to greatly increase fuel efficiency
mmmm [popcorn]

#266 ·
Let's put the Taurus awd and Ecoboost v6 drivetrain with a steering wheel paddle-mounted shifter. AWWWHO MAN, talk about fearsome! Ford, do it before your competitors do, be First to market as you're First on the racetrack and First in our hearts (and wallets/pocketbooks!).

#37 ·
Using that conversion makes no sense. Cars are WAY more expensive in the UK. The Focus ST, ST1 pricing if converted from the UK to US would be as follows:

Current UK exchange rate is 1.58 US dollars to a British Pound. At £21,995 in the UK using the exchange rate would be $34,752 for an ST1 Focus ST in the U.S.

That's almost $10k off. I'm guessing the RS starts low 30s before options.

#13 ·
The RS is more or less designed for those that already have a daily driver. The RS is meant for the weekend warrior with disposable income for the most part. The part that shocked me is that they said the Mustang was going to be on sale in Europe. I have been to Europe several times and I have only seen 3 Mustangs there the entire time. Good to see our European counterparts getting the Mustang, which in turn I would hope that we get a chance to own the goodies they get there.

#14 ·
Maybe.. depends on the cost and what the power output will be... I am a fan of the revo knuckle and lsd combo.. i would love a AWD but i doubt well get.. then again for 35-40k i hope FORD does it awd...

I would like to see a fiesta RS.. im going to see the fiesta ST at the autoshow on friday so hopefully i hear something new about the focus rs speculation.

#16 ·
They wouldn't make it AWD ever, that would defeat the purpose of the RS. The RS was to be the most bonkers FWD car ever pretty much. The old RS was FWD with as much if not more power than the current V6 Mustang going solely through the front wheels.

#18 ·
The ST is almost 30,000! there is no way these are less then $35000. For that reason i will not be getting one. They will probably be awesome but they will just be way to much!!!

#19 ·
It wouldn't be re-engineered for the Focus (the 2.3L is based on the 2.0 L Duratec), as it would likely go in the Lincoln MK-C first before it ever goes in a Mustang. At least that's what I had heard before now.

#24 ·
It will be FWD. Forever. Im hoping good things in the future, Like the Top Gear review for the recent body style. Closest thing youll get to handling like a lamborghini for the price. However just like back in the early 2000's when we didnt think the sti or evo would make it here, we now see every 18 year old and senior citizen driving them.
It will come! ST is the gateway drug

#25 ·
I hope it comes here. But I've wanted that twice before and it has no effect on the outcome. This one does seem like it would have a good chance though. If i'm able I would buy one, but I doubt I could... still being in college and all.

#26 ·
That photo is hella sexy. And if I had the money I would also jump on that ... but any higher than 35 and it would be pressed hard for Ford to pull me from an older M3 for this ride at that price.

Ray

#27 ·
To all those AWD RS hopefuls out there, not looking good:
Initial discussions to use electric motors on the rear wheels to boost performance and cut emissions were reportedly deemed too expensive to develop and a negative distraction for buyers.

Engineers are said to have appraised using the Kuga’s four-wheel drive system, which uses the same platform, but it’s reportedly too heavy and tricky to package in a low-slung, sports-orientated car.

#28 ·
dont understand why youd spend 40k on a FWD car. an Evo 8 is faster around a track than the RS. and you can get one of those ALOT cheaper than this, and have AWD. the stock 8 is only a second behind the murcielago around the top gear test track, while the RS is more than 5 secs SLOWER than an 8. sorry, i love the focus and the mystic of the RS, but its just not worth it in IMHO. not for 40k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.