SCT XCal 1 SVT tune testing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9632
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bscarter11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool SCT XCal 1 SVT tune testing

I had a chance to load a test tune on my car from Tom recently. I have been reading up on the thread in this forum about this new file, so I figured that it being a test file would be ok at best. Overall, I’m finding this tune to be superior to anything else that has been on my car. I think one guy that was trying it on FF was saying something about it being harsh. I did not notice this a bit (I believe this is more due to how I'm driving the car since I really don't drive a stick very well...good enough though) . Most of the testing was last night after dark and coming in to work this morning. I have put close to 40 miles on it. The conditions have been varied in different types of driving with a temperature between 65-75F. The humidity has been fairly dry up here for the last couple of days. Today is supposed to be alittle more humid…

Initial startup: idle was a hair over 1k when I first started up. It appeared to be around 900rpm when it settled down. The sound from the motor was quite different than I had heard from the car before. This morning when I started it up cold again, I did notice something sounding like some kind of rpm fluctuations. I didn’t notice it on the tach though. It did not appear to be affecting anything…cold SVT’s aren’t particularly happy no matter what you do with them. I guess that would be my observation in the past. It ran just fine from that point onward.

Stop/Go driving: This being the bane of other tuner's “power” tune, Toms's tune behaved much like I initially expected. There was no initial indication of surge or “bucking” (best word I have for this condition). Even in lower gears like 1st and 2nd were extremely smooth with no jerkiness on the drive in to work this morning. This was indicated in last night’s run as well. I had one point where I may felt a hint of that surging in 4th at 45 mph…again, the car was cold when this occurred though. I would really put this under the realm of trifles though. Its not even worth reporting.

WOT: The fun part. From a dead stop, the car had power immediately. This is what it should have been to begin with for my previous tunes. I found no hesitation. I had to change how I clutch out from a start though. I’m used to having to slip that clutch a lot more. You could definitely tell when the DSI was kicking in. I believe this was somewhere around 5k rpm. The car had a pronounced change in how it was approaching 7K from the old tune. The feel was good. If there were any side effects noted from these runs to the roof, it would be attributable to the clutch. Mine is starting to head south again.

Other notes: The car seems to “know” what it is doing and how to control itself vs. before. I failed to mention above that I did turn on the air conditioning at one point…cranked it actually. I totally had to change how I clutch it in 1st. There was power that was not there before. I was pretty much amazed at that point. Leaving the line in first usually involves a prayer that no one hits the car while entering an intersection. That was just gone. Aside from the very small variances noted above, surging and race conditions are nowhere to be found. The car takes off as advertised from 1st.

Additional information after driving on it for 2+ days

After driving on this tune for a couple of days now, my initial reaction above I would agree with to about 98%. I have noticed some of the "harshness" that has been described by another thread started by Clegg. Much of what I notice with this is that the extra power combined with my uncoordinated left foot have made for a good bit of retraining on that clutch in my car. That being said, if you hit the point right, it engages and goes. If you miss, well, it has more power.

I have also noticed that when the car is cold, it can have a tendency to fluctuate rpm by +/- 50 rpm till it warms up. It acted like it could die, but the batt light never came on. It was still close to that +/- 50 rpm number.

I have detected some surging in the tune. This occurs mainly when the car is cold. Once this morning, I was running the car in 4th @ 50mph. For those who didn't figure this out, I should have thrown the shift, but I was being really lazy. NOTE: This has been the only occurance of surge. No other time in the last couple of days have I had this problem. Normally, I wouldn't even put the car in this situation.

Driving with the air conditioning on still behaves as indicated above. Its mainly how you drive the clutch. The power is there, I'm still just getting used to the changes.

All other conditions are unchanged from my initial account.

For a test file, this looks pretty good. I’ll sit on it for a couple of days to get you more information. The car just plain drives for once. Also, I know that a lot of the verbage above sounds like what one reads 1000 times on FF, but I have tried to be careful in how I chose my words for this. No point in giving bad feed back.

Scott

Last edited by bscarter11; 08-24-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38387
What I Drive: 2004,sonic blue,focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus187 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
tune help!!!

Is there Any Wait to send me this tune or tell me what you did so that i can com pair it with my tune.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,972, Level 100
Points: 53,972, Level: 100 Points: 53,972, Level: 100 Points: 53,972, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
What is wrong with the tune you have now ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

NO A SMOOTH START

MY CAR NEEDED TO BE TUNED AFTER I TOOK THE CAT OF AND REPLACED IT WITH A OFF RODE PIPE I PUT THE ELIMATERS ON THE O2 CENSOR AND IT SEEMED THAT THE CAR WAS RUNNING LEAN SO I TOOK IT AND GOT IT TUNED IT TUNED AT 156.9 HP AND 142.1 TORQUE THE REASON I ASKING FOR THE TUNE IS THAT THE TUNE I HAVE IF RUFF FROM START AND REALLY RUFF WITH THE A/C ON IN 1ST GEAR.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
FF Affiliate

Points 53,972, Level 100
Points: 53,972, Level: 100 Points: 53,972, Level: 100 Points: 53,972, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 53%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
My tune cost 100.00 , I will send the tune and if you like it you can pay me then

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

tune

can just help me then the tune i have is the fuel is up a little and the timing is advanced a little can you just tell he what u did in your tune. and i can see the difference i wouldn't have i problem paying u for it but my dyno guy will charge me for it to so it like paying twice for it
hope this will help! let me tell you what i have done i have a steeda intake,pulleys,cat replacement pipe and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.
Thanks Andrew
Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
FF Affiliate

Points 53,972, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 53%
If your tune works well then stay with that tune , My tune isnt ment to be a WOT tune it is more for driveability and to correct the issues so many have from other tunes

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.