91 Octane fuel for Xcal, true????? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36991
What I Drive: 2006 Infra-Red ZX4 ST - SAP I

FF Reputation: 1 tdkaye1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
91 Octane fuel for Xcal, true?????

Was looking into buying one of these for the numerous uses and I saw it stated you albsolutely MUST use 91 Octane fuel. Why is that? I didn't think detonation was an issue. Any other reason? I mean I'm looking for a few options TO SAVE MONEY ON GAS. Not to spend more on gas period.

Slowly but surely building the perfect animal.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Originally posted by HempHound
Blue Lights=SEX LIGHTS cause someone is about to get fu%@#*
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4767
What I Drive: 07 F one-fiddy

FF Reputation: 8 Poney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
it canbe tuned for 89 octane if you ask.

wont perform as well, but it can be done

Last edited by Poney; 08-18-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Poney
it canbe tuned for 89 octane if you ask.

wont perform as well, but it can be done
It just seems odd considering the engine is built to operate at 87, duratec 2.3, and say I don't run performance enhancement, just eliminate the egr, the speed limiter and see if i can lower my start up idle, which starts at 1.5k-2k rpms then eventually works down to 750 and levels out there.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Focus Addict

We are proud to announce our new SCT files for the 2.3L Duratec (PZEV) motor. We have been working hard to finish them. Here is the first complete file using 87octane fuel. The other files with DYNO charts will follow real soon. We are also working on the turbo and supercharger setups.

Wtf, they run 87 octane on their tune?

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 24506
What I Drive: a Volvo??!?

Points 7,007, Level 55
Points: 7,007, Level: 55 Points: 7,007, Level: 55 Points: 7,007, Level: 55
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 VenomRogue Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Yes, you can have the Xcal tuned for any octane you wish

alot of guys pick a 93 octane tune on one file, then a race gas tune 100 octane + on another file.

you can always request a tune for normal 87 octane, but there will not be as much performance.

Yes, I have issues.

Next question.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
Focus Addict

I was thinking 89, since in Illinois we only have 87, 89, 91 and well, it's too damn expensive!

Oh, and anyone able to tell me the difference between Cali 91 octane compared to the other states? Will 91 from other states burn the same?

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31604
What I Drive: Blue 2014 twin turbo F150 Limited

Points 688, Level 13
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Fordcus Fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally posted by tdkaye1
It just seems odd considering the engine is built to operate at 87, duratec 2.3, and say I don't run performance enhancement, just eliminate the egr, the speed limiter and see if i can lower my start up idle, which starts at 1.5k-2k rpms then eventually works down to 750 and levels out there.
If your want to increase mpg, don't eliminate egr. The engine is built to run up to a certain rpm, not what octane you use. The start up idle is higher because it takes a few minutes to reach operating tempeture so it can idle @ 750 rpms. Don't eliminate speed limiter unless you know your engine limits so you don't exceed its threshold which can be expencive to fix. Performance tune is what it is & design to run with 91. If you want more performance, then you have to PAY for it, if you want economy then drive it granny style with 85 (yes it will run on 85). The price difference between octane grades are about 10 cents between them. So a tank full of 87 @ 3.00 a gallon will cost you 39 dollors, 89 1.30 more, & 91 2.60 more. WOW 3 dollors more to run a tank of 91. You can't have your cake & eat it too. This is the real world & were all dealing with high gas prices. If 3 dollors for every tank of gas will put you in financial ruin then pick the economy tune.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31604
What I Drive: Blue 2014 twin turbo F150 Limited

Points 688, Level 13
Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13 Points: 688, Level: 13
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Fordcus Fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
91 octane is 91 octane. I think Cal. fuels use more additives to help with emissions.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fordcus Fan
If your want to increase mpg, don't eliminate egr. The engine is built to run up to a certain rpm, not what octane you use. The start up idle is higher because it takes a few minutes to reach operating tempeture so it can idle @ 750 rpms. Don't eliminate speed limiter unless you know your engine limits so you don't exceed its threshold which can be expencive to fix. Performance tune is what it is & design to run with 91. If you want more performance, then you have to PAY for it, if you want economy then drive it granny style with 85 (yes it will run on 85). The price difference between octane grades are about 10 cents between them. So a tank full of 87 @ 3.00 a gallon will cost you 39 dollors, 89 1.30 more, & 91 2.60 more. WOW 3 dollors more to run a tank of 91. You can't have your cake & eat it too. This is the real world & were all dealing with high gas prices. If 3 dollors for every tank of gas will put you in financial ruin then pick the economy tune.
Actually it IS built to run on 87 octane. Check the manual and it warns anything above could potentially damage the engine. While that's gestapo to me, it could actually hold some smidge of truth in some cases. High start up idle to reach operating speed, excuse me, is stupid. The car will reach that speed after running at a lower RPM or just driving period. Middle of summer doesn't require a 2k starting idle. Speed limiter is set at 120mph on a duratec 2.3L. It's know fact. I doubt the engine would run well on 85. Oh, and driving style compared to performance are two different things. The reason I asked in the first case was that since the suggested octane to operate the duratec on is 87, then why a tune set for 87 can't be feesable. Nothing about financial decisions regarding it.

ST Crew #000
Quote:
Old 08-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30875
What I Drive: TURBOD Black 02 SE

Points 3,364, Level 36
Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36 Points: 3,364, Level: 36
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 zetecfreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ITs set to run on 87 because of gas price. Thats the factory tune, which is generic. Its real safe and gets good MPG. Yes you can get a 87 tune, but that just about defeats the purpose. If it saves you a little bit of gas it still wont make up for the price you have in the tuner and tune (unless you have the car for 10yrs). Now, If you want more performance also, and get tunes for each then it would make sense.
I think you asked a good question and am not trying to put it down, just incase it comes across that way.

I dont think you would see detonation. The stock compression shouldnt detonate on 87 even with a 91 tune. The difference is timing. Not cam timing but spark timing. With 91 octane you can better time efficiency. 91 octane is much more stable then 87 so you can afford to adjust timing to make the motor more efficient. By doing this though you come closer to pushing the tune to far and making the motor very inefficient. (dont quote me on any of this, im going out on a limb here.) The key is efficiency in both power and MPG. That is what the tune adjusts in a whole. With just a 87octane tune, you do not get anything but the factory tuning holes filled in. Where FOrd may have been over conservative so to speak.
THat comes from what I have read, seen, and my own conclusions. It may be wrong, but its my best attempt to explain what I know.
I have a Zetec, that is tuned. I have found that I get better gas mileage on 93 (in ohio) then on either 87 or 89. I logged it and found that the mileage was so much better that I saved money by buying 93 fuel at 20cents more a gallon.

Last edited by zetecfreak; 08-21-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.