The MYSTERY leak - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Question The MYSTERY leak

A few days ago I got my SVT back together and it was getting really cold out so I decided to use the block heater also I topped off the radiator while I was at it.

The next morning there was a small puddle on the garage floor.. it sorta looked like oil but also had traces af antifreeze in it.

So I figure the oil return from the turbo may have a small leak in it, plus it had some oil on it as well.

The next morning another small leak, this time more antifreeze than oil.. again another cold night and use of the block heater.

This morning yet another leak.. all antifreeze and another night of using the block heater. I should mention the block heater is on a timer and comes on around 4am just a couple of hours before I go to work.

I drive the car to work, park it in a clean and dry place. I come out around 1-ish to leave early and there is no leak. I get home, park the car in the garage and place some clean dry cardboard under the front where I think the leak is and come back about 2hrs later and still no signs of leaking.

When I filled the radiator resivour I filled it past the full mark... just a little. and the leaking is maybe less than 1/4 cup of MYSTERY fluid.... pretty sure its antifreeze.

Could having the block heater plugged in make the radiator fluid in the block heat up enough to maybe seep out around a hose clamp or something???

There's NO wetness on anything under the car... except a film of oil on the turbo oil return line.

Beats the hell out of me..... you have any idea's??

2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18996
What I Drive: 2002 Dark Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 bledandbeaten Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
could be that the heater is heating the antifreeze, causing it to expand. since you say you overfilled the antifreeze thats what my assumption, try using the block heater while you're awake, and check on it every 15 mins or so, pop the hood or whatever to find the leak, you may be right.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
unlike an oil pump, which generates pressure as well as flow, the water pump doesn't produce a lot of pressure...the pressure in the cooling system is due to the temperature of the coolant. I don't know how hot the block heater gets, but it could theoretically get hot enough to generate pressure inside the cooling system, which could push it past a clamp. I would check all your hose clamps and hoses. if that search comes up dry, start looking at the block plugs or the water pump and thermostat
Old 12-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 386
What I Drive: 04SVTF, 03SVTF,08F150 4x4, 2013ST3

Points 1,316, Level 20
Points: 1,316, Level: 20 Points: 1,316, Level: 20 Points: 1,316, Level: 20
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 finalley Good Standing Member
....yeah, localized heating and not circulating...

Do you have a temp gauge installed?

But probly you just have the boost up too high...you're not allowed to run boost...
Old 12-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Hey, check that goofy little aluminum plug at the bottom of the thermostat housing...mine had a bad o-ring that was quite easy to fix but took awhile to find.

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
I know its not the plug, there are NO signs of leaking except the oil residue on the return line. Since its antifreeze.... the the oil residue dont mean crap.

Again it only does it when the block heater has been used, and there is NOT any signs of leaking.... seriously there is NOTHING wet or damp under the car..... its like the damn thing decides to just take a piss
[/b]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Points 1,316, Level 20
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hey john, where is the puddle in relation to things...Think maybe the blk htr gets too hot?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18996
What I Drive: 2002 Dark Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 bledandbeaten Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 03OrangeSVT
I know its not the plug, there are NO signs of leaking except the oil residue on the return line. Since its antifreeze.... the the oil residue dont mean crap.

Again it only does it when the block heater has been used, and there is NOT any signs of leaking.... seriously there is NOTHING wet or damp under the car..... its like the damn thing decides to just take a piss
hey, maybe thats it, you got one of those wierd cyborg foci that weve all heard so much about...j/k
seriously try what i said, at least this way you'll be able to tell if it is the block heaters fault and/or where it comes from
Old 12-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by finalley
Hey john, where is the puddle in relation to things...Think maybe the blk htr gets too hot?
In the front somewhere between the radiator and the block... I'm getting ready to do some last minute X-mas stuff so I'll check it before I leave.... I have a feeling there isnt going to be anything wet.... I didnt plug it in last night... just to see.
[/b]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 1,316, Level 20
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
liquid exppands when heated... also causes pressure in confined space...

or maybe your car just had a wet dream....about being stroked

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.