Couple questions for tom (SVT related) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21449
FF Reputation: 1 Housoft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Couple questions for tom (SVT related)

So, I checked all relavent posts on the first page, nothing too far back. I see you're ramping up duratec development. I know the zetec is out now, but are you stopping zetec development?

I don't know much about building the bottom end, but why can you only take a zetec to 2.3 while you have plans to take a duratec to 2.6 (sorry if that is an obvious, therefore stupid question)?

What is the MOST you can do for my SVT engine to keep it NA (I would like to be able to revert to lower compression for SC application, MAYBE turbo, convince me why turbo trumps SC)?

Also, I'm a west coast guy, but I don't really like FS parts, they're quality and all, but I would much rather go through focus-power. What is your turn around on parts?

I really only care about my first question because I am really looking to beef up my engine. Figure cost isn't an issue (which it is at this time, but thats not the point), what is the MOST you could do to my engine, keeping it NA, and what would I be putting down on pump gas (92). I won't be ready to go all out financially for quite a while so do you have any zetec parts in development not due for quite some time(im assuming all your attention is on the duratec stroker kits right now)?

I am looking for either some 5spoke SVT wheels or RS wheels at a good price, send me a PM (preferably with existing tires.. preferably with existing tred heheheh) or maybe even some of the euro 15 (is it 15?) spoke wheels, black.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 54,041, Level 100
Points: 54,041, Level: 100 Points: 54,041, Level: 100 Points: 54,041, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 52%
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
So, I checked all relavent posts on the first page, nothing too far back. I see you're ramping up duratec development. I know the zetec is out now, but are you stopping zetec development?
****NO! We even came out with a stroker crank for the Zetec. I dont realy know what else to come up with at this time but im allways looking

I don't know much about building the bottom end, but why can you only take a zetec to 2.3 while you have plans to take a duratec to 2.6 (sorry if that is an obvious, therefore stupid question)?
****Because the 2.6 starts out as a 2.3 already. You start getting into rod ratio issues and piston speed if you go much more than 2.3 in the Zetec

What is the MOST you can do for my SVT engine to keep it NA (I would like to be able to revert to lower compression for SC application, MAYBE turbo, convince me why turbo trumps SC)?
****To me why do turbo is a no brainer
Make more HP , Make more TQ , Easier to adjust the boost on, Ease of upgradeability, options of HP/TQ and i could go on

Also, I'm a west coast guy, but I don't really like FS parts, they're quality and all, but I would much rather go through focus-power. What is your turn around on parts?
****Depends on what parts. I am one guy and my Son doing all this so dont be in a big hurry. My plan for 06 is to have turbo kits and short blocks on the shelf and thats what I am working on now. This will help when i get covered up that large jobs that are here are not here for many mnay months at a time and i can work more on installs than making parts

I really only care about my first question because I am really looking to beef up my engine. Figure cost isn't an issue (which it is at this time, but thats not the point), what is the MOST you could do to my engine, keeping it NA, and what would I be putting down on pump gas (92). I won't be ready to go all out financially for quite a while so do you have any zetec parts in development not due for quite some time(im assuming all your attention is on the duratec stroker kits right now)?
****I dont make bolton parts. The parts i make are for power (turbo kits , stroker kits , ported heads) so i dont know that there is anything i can do for you at this time. Yes i am working on the Dura engine but the Zetec is still my baby at this time anyway. I can see where in the future that the Dura will become the engine of performance but i plan to build the Zetec parts im building for many years

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-17-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the great reply.

And as for the last question I mean what is the most buildup you could do, including stroker kit, ported cylinder heads, anything else NA-wise?

I am looking for either some 5spoke SVT wheels or RS wheels at a good price, send me a PM (preferably with existing tires.. preferably with existing tred heheheh) or maybe even some of the euro 15 (is it 15?) spoke wheels, black.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
FF Affiliate

Points 54,041, Level 100
Points: 54,041, Level: 100 Points: 54,041, Level: 100 Points: 54,041, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 52%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
That is a loaded question what octane and is this ment to be a weekend racer or a daily driver

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

92 is the highest I can find around here without using additives or finding racing fuel.

The last part is difficult though.. It is a spirited daily driver WITH weekend racing, but I am probably going to buy a bike for the daily commute if I get crazy with my focus.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
FF Affiliate

Points 54,041, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 52%
With the stroker kit , cams , head work i would like to see 200 at the wheels

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

The way it shoulda come outta factory, huh? hehehe

Over on FJ I found this link http://www.cncheads.co.uk/ford_st170.html . If you read over it, some of the numbers they claim you can hit are ridiculous. The standard gains are expected, but then they go on to say "If you run on throttle bodies and use a decent engine management system, this head will make over 300BHP." Okay... What is up with that?

Old 12-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
FF Affiliate

Points 54,041, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 52%
Keep in mind those HP numbers were tested with ITB`s and NOT a stock fuelinjected SVT intake

There isnt anything there that we are not doing to our heads or cant do if its needed. Also dont let big numbers fool you just because they get a LARGE flow number in the head does not allways mean a LARGE gain in HP or TQ

Take those large flow numbers and bolt on our intake , TB and intake pipe and you wont see much flow number gain at all

Same thing on the Exh side install the header and Exh system then check your flow numbers again and see where they go

People spend far to much time looking for things with big HP or big flow numbers and that is what big Co. are counting on that is why it is rare to see TQ numbers posted or heads ported and a TRUE back to back test done to see true gains from just the port work

Take a look at the new FS head the flow was done at 50 this alone jacks the numbers up so they are good advertised numbers but have NOTHING to do with what is going to happen when the head has the intake , tb and other stuff bolted to it. They could of released the numbers @28 inch and the numbers would of been lower but would of ment the same exact thing . Also they went to 500 lift now where are you going to see or find a 500+ lift cam that 99.999... % of the Focus community are going to run your not. But like i said companys are counting on you looking at other flow numbers that LOOK lower and using that as what makes the decision to buy a head

The SVT in NA form does not realy need any larger valves the best thing out for the SVT for a power gain will be the new 2.3 stroker kit , street port on the head and some cams, VCT Elim , TB, 3 inch exhaust, good tune and go play

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

My confidence in focus power grows with every post. Everything considered, it looks like turbo is my only choice in making big power.

I'll probably be back with turbo questions next heh, but I'll give you a break for the time being. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
FF Affiliate

Points 54,041, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 52%
If your goal is BIG power than Turbo will be the way to go

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.