Curiosity got the best of me - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Exclusive Vendor Discussions > Focus-Power Tuning

Focus-Power Tuning Discuss about forced induction upgrades and performance tuning for your Ford Focus.
Sponsored By: Focus-Power

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Curiosity got the best of me

OK, Tom. I've been wanting a little more power for the longest time and I just got to really thinking about my options. I had a few questions you or probably anyone else browsing this section could answer, but please excuse me for being a noob when it comes to turbos/tranny. I can't stand not knowing this stuff any more.

First off I have an '02 ATX with 50-something K miles on it, and I was wondering a few things in particular...
Has anyone you know of done like a custom small boost turbo build for an auto, like a small turbo with the boost turned down a little? Is this even possible without tearing way into the trans? Will you see gains that would beat out bolt-ons for the price/performance ratio, or would it be "worth it" for the money I'd put into it? Can you estimate a price for a budget build like this if it is possible?

If I did end up doing something like this, what is the main fallback of my trans? The torque converter and cooling? I don't know too much about the inner workings of these, but was wondering if one these things were to fail, is it a quick one-part replacement or bye-bye tranny?

Basically, I'm looking to gain a little bit of power, maybe around the ballpark of 60, without having to beef up the trans so much. Like torque converter/valve body/cooling maximum. What do you think?

Any other advice on better options you think would be beneficial or info of interest to me would be appreciated.

I think I'll just leave you with this for now, sorry for being so long-winded. Thanks in advance for the help buddy.

-Dan

Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
MyCarBreaksAlot

Anyone? Please, any information on this would be great. I want to know basically if my transmission could take the effects of 5-6 psi with maybe a beefed up torque converter and a tune for higher fluid pressure.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Personally I like a centrifugal supercharger or a jackson racing SC for an automatic. No real torque to handle but decent top end power! The mid-range torque of a turbo would be really nice obviously in an automatic, but most of the kits out there are sized for a bit more power than you are talking about. FocusSport has a small Stage 1 Centrifugal kit that I think will work on an ATX. Prochargers I'm not sure about, they might.

A while ago, Pectel was putting out a kit using a small T25 turbo, which would be perfect for you. But I'm not sure if they are anymore. You can email them and ask www.pectelusa.com.

And while your tranny will most likely be fine with 5 to 6 PSI for while, dont expect to get OEM life out of it. It just wasn't built for torque. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,484, Level 100
Points: 53,484, Level: 100 Points: 53,484, Level: 100 Points: 53,484, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Now bela why do you list the fs crap here ? just to get a rise out of me

Dont wast you time even thinking of the fs SC , keep it stock you will be better off

A turbo will be the way to go but like bela said the ATX isnt realy up to the chore , If your still interested look into www.lentechautomatics.com they have the ATX parts or trans that will do what ever in on your mind

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
MyCarBreaksAlot

Yeah, I realize my trans sucks but I was thinking that since the turbo has to spool up it wouldn't be a monstrous amount of torque just thrown into it all at once. I thought "easing into it" would be a little better of a situation. I have looked at Lentech's stuff before. What do you think, Tom? Could a FR torque converter with the 23 spline input shaft (I don't really know the difference between this kit and just the FR torque converter by itself), new valve body, higher pressure from a tune make it pretty reliable? How much money do you think I would spend getting a custom kit fabbed up, then all the transmission modifications? Sounds pretty pricey. Maybe you could clear up some of the confusion on these parts.

This thread was what got me wondering. Could that turbo be turned down to a relatively "safe" level where I could get it on without speding $2000 on the trans alone?
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
FF Affiliate

Points 53,484, Level 100
Points: 53,484, Level: 100 Points: 53,484, Level: 100 Points: 53,484, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 40%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Spend the money on the ATX and dont try to skimp on the turbo kit and you will end up with a nice ride if you try to cut corners you will end up with a mess

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
FF Affiliate

Points 53,484, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 40%
belacyrf
[??] Addict

Re: Blaast performance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No worries Tim... on FocusFanatics unfortunately, the vocal ones dont really think for themselves, they just regurgitate what they hear from Tom.

----------------------------------POSTED ON ANOTHER FOCUS BOARD----------------------------------------

I guess no one here can think for them selves is that what your saying ? Why do you even bother to come here then ?

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6919
What I Drive: Blue 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 belacyrf Good Standing Member
Edit.. nevermind.

If trying to help others by giving them all the information I am aware of that could be helpful is a bad thing... so be it.

Last edited by belacyrf; 11-02-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
MyCarBreaksAlot

Spend a lot of money on the trans and turbo kit? I'm not really that rich. And I'm also not looking for killer power, just a decent boost where I can call it quits on the engine. I'm a little leary of going up around 8 or 9 psi, that just seems like it's asking for problems.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 11-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dcl2049
I'm also not looking for killer power, just a decent boost where I can call it quits on the engine.

Thats what we all said in the beginning
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.