Building Muscle - Gaining Mass
My work out entails heavy lifting and creatine intake on a cycle schedule. One month on, one month off....I am gaining maybe 1 lb a week on average...sometimes 2 lbs.
What is the best diet to gain mass without having to take creatine?
Does the whey and protein shakes work as advertised?
What do I need to do to make my body hold onto fat and carbs longer to make my recovery time shorter and to wen myself off the creatine completely. I am not a fan of the idea to have to keep taking it or I will go back down in weight. [rant]
If you are like me, you can eat whatever you want...constantly and still be called "skinny/athletic". I was hoping my metabolism would be slower at my age but it is not.
I take multi vitamins daily and drink tons of water. Smoking did not affect my weight either way when I started....unless I just do not quit for a long enough time to make a difference? I quit smoking sometimes for a week or two just for a chance of pace and habits. But it never results in a gain in weight.
Thank you for the replies in advance. I know this is opposite of what most people are dealing with, so please be nice. [pray]
I do have to point out, some of my friends "juice" and I want that look eventually without taking synthetics. But mass is really governed by your frame and genetics too. My dad has been thin his entire life, I am actually twice his size in weight....not saying much though.
I am 6'2" and under 170lbs. i would like to put some weight on. Without working out, cause i am lazy. But, nothing works, ever. I might have to start exercising, I am kinda curious to see what people say about putting weight on.
Glad its not just me....it really is a weird "problem" to have. I wish I could get fat first, because that is easier to convert to muscle...iei Biggest Loser style.
Its hard making something from nothing. Juicing really does look nicer than taking supplements forever. Then again, how long does a juicing (?) last?
Skinny guys often say they can eat anything they want without gaining weight. They think they’re blessed with a fast metabolism. They’ll say: “I make women jealous with my metabolism. I can eat junk food all day without gaining weight”.
Truth is you can eat anything you want without gaining weight because you’re not eating a lot. I know you think you do, but you’re not. Otherwise you wouldn’t be skinny. Here’s how to gain weight for skinny guys.
1. Track Calories. Skinny guys often overestimate what they eat. Read the labels, use a food scale and track your daily caloric intake using FitDay.com. You need at least your body-weight in lbs x 20kcal daily to gain weight.
A rule of thumb is at least 1kg for each cm above 1m (use this converter). Anything less you’ll always look skinny. There’s no upper limit, if you want to weigh more go for it. Examples of minimum goal weights:
* 1m70/5’7″ at least 70kg/154lbs
* 1m75/5’9″ at least 75kg/165lbs
* 1m80/5’11″ at least 80kg/176lbs
* 1m85/6’1″ at least 85kg/187lbs
* 1m90/6’3″ at least 90kg/200lbs
3. Eat Every 3 Hours. You need at least your body-weight in lbs x 20 kcal to gain weight. That’s 2700kcal/day if you’re 135lbs. If you have a physical job or move a lot, you’ll need even more. Eat every 3 hours.
* Breakfast. Get calories from the first hour. Read how to build the habit of eating breakfast and try these breakfast recipes.
* Lunch & Diner. Prepare double portions while making breakfast. 1 portion for work/school, 1 portion when you get back.
* Snacks. Mixed nuts, fruits, dried fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, sandwiches, milk, protein shakes, …
* Post Workout. Physical activities burn calories. Eat post workout to get that energy back. Check this post workout shake recipe.
4. Eat Calorie Dense Foods. 100g raw rice is 380kcals. 100g raw spinach is only 25kcals. Getting your daily calorie intake is easier if you eat foods high in calories. Your best options:
* Pasta. 100g pasta is 380kcal and easier to ingest than 100g rice. Whole grain pasta is healthier, but takes longer to digest. Eat white pasta.
* Whole Milk. If you don’t bother gaining some fat, drink 1 gallon whole milk per day on top of your current food intake. I’ve seen guys gaining 60lbs/year drinking 1 gallon per milk per day while Squatting 3x/week.
* Nuts. Mixed nuts & natural peanut butter have +500kcal/100g, about 50% healthy fats and 25% protein. Use mixed nuts as snack & throw peanut butter on sandwiches for work/school.
* Olive Oil. Protects against heart diseases & cancer. Sip it like vodka (it’s not that bad, really) or use it for tomato pasta sauce. 1tbsp is 100kcal.
5. Get Stronger. You want to go from skinny to muscular, not from skinny to chubby. Get into strength training. More strength is more muscle. If you don’t know where to start, check StrongLifts 5×5. Some tips.
* Free Weights. Force you to stabilize the weight and allow for natural motions. Start light, focus on technique and add weight progressively.
* Compound Exercises. Do exercises that work your whole body. Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Pull-ups, Dips, Barbell Row, …
* Squat. Leg exercise stressing your whole body. When you can Squat 1.5x your body-weight for 1 rep, you’ll no longer be skinny. Squat often.
* Rest. Muscle grow when you rest, not when you workout. Don’t train daily. Sleep, drink 1 gallon water daily and eat fruits/veggies.
6. Plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail. You don’t have time to cook 3x/day, and the food at work/school is often low quality/more expensive. Prepare your food in advance and take it with you.
* Do The Grocery. Avoid skipped meals because you don’t have food available. List everything you need for 1 week and go buy it.
* Cook in Advance. Prepare all your meals once per day: while preparing breakfast or while preparing dinner. It takes about 40mins.
* Keep it Simple. Make double portions, take leftovers with you, use cans of tuna & mixed nuts, 1 gallon milk per day, …
* Take Food with You. Food containers for work/school, mixed nuts at the movies, eat before going to town, take protein shakes to the gym, …
7. Track Progress. Success breeds success. Knowing that you’re losing your skinny look will keep you motivated. Track everything.
* Track Calories. Continue tracking your daily caloric intake using FitDay so you get a confirmation of how many calories you’re eating.
* Weigh Yourself Weekly. Gaining weight? Don’t change anything. Not gaining weight? Increase your daily caloric intake by 500kcal.
* Take Pictures. The mirror is subjective. Pictures don’t lie. Shoot pictures bi-monthly so you have objective measurements of your progress.
* Track Strength Gains. When you can Squat 1.5x your body-weight for 1 rep, you’ll no more be skinny. Use the StrongLifts 5×5 spreadsheet.
Weight Gain Diet. 3500+kcal example diet for a skinny guy who wants to weigh 180lbs/81kg. This can be too much at once if you’re only 135lbs/61kg or not enough if you’re very active. Individualize the diet based on your needs.
* Breakfast: 100g oats, 50g raisins, 1scoop whey
* Snack: 100g mixed nuts or 1 liter milk or tuna sandwich
* Lunch: 200g white pasta, bolognese sause, parmesan cheese
* Snack: 100g mixed nuts or 1 liter milk or tuna sandwich
* Post workout shake: 1.5scoops whey, 60g oats, milk, banana
* Dinner: 200g white pasta, bolognese sause, parmesan cheese
* Pre bed: cottage cheese, berries, flax seed, fish oil
Found some help! From a post about stronglifts.com
That was great info, thank you for the link to that site.
So, according to that, I am not eating enough...wow.
And I also need to eat right after my workouts also....and add more nuts to my diet. I'm grabbing a box of Paydays at lunch and a new water container to drink more....a gallon a day, really.....goodness I'm going to be peeing constantly.
Hey man I'm in the same boat as you. I worked out hard for a few years and gained a lot of weight (good weight) buy eating eating eating! My metabolism is really high too..I might as well while I sit on the toilet lol. But yea I just ate everything in sight along @ least 2 protein shakes a day. I was taking in about 4000 calories a day, but I ate nothing but junk food. Jack in the box, taco bell right after the gym everyday along with a shake. I can't say it enough..JUST EAT. Eating all that junk prob wasn't the healthiest thing but I got really bbig, not fat big, muscular big.
Posted via FF Mobile
Thank you for the reply and insight. I will try to eat more daily now.
I do not want to look like that though, lol
eat big to get big. Grains and oats and the alike are terrible for you. It goes against conventional wisdom, but if you take the old food pyramid and flip it upside down, that is more ideal.
The human digestive system developed during the paleolithic period, when humans were eating fatty meats, nuts, berries, fruits and vegetables. If your body can handle dairy, dairy is ok to consume as well. That being said, the digestive system has not changed at all basically. The human digestive system is similar to that of a wolf. What do dogs and wolves eat? They in nature are pure carnivores, meat eaters. Beans, wheat, grains and starches and legumes like peanuts and cashews were new world inventions introduced after the development of our digestive system. I bet you didn't know that raw potatoes are poisonous to humans, same with raw flour. Everybody's favorite whole grains are also poisonous in their natural state. It wasn't until we learned how to process them did we start to consume them. And what came with that? Diabetes, tooth decay, heart diseases etc. Look at the Inuit. They don't eat any of this modern food, and they suffer from none of the aforementioned.
So You want to get big? Simply eat 5 meals a day, never let yourself get hungry. Eat plenty of eggs, ground round, whole milk, cheese and whatever other meat you like that is high in protein and fat.
Me for breakfast, I may eat half a dozen eggs with meat, cheese and whole milk in them. For lunch I may go to Kroger, buy a one pound tube of ground round, spice it up and cook it. Dinner, I eat whatever meat I want, and some veggies and a salad maybe. Later on I may eat some sausage sticks, or a can of tuna with olive oil.
It will take your body a little bit to adjust, but when you do, you will feel great and only poop once a day.
Sidenote, you are wasting your money on whey unless you take it immediately right after your workout when your muscles are broken down. Otherwise, it gets absorbed too quickly into your body. However, taken right, whey is awesome.
Also, this blurb assumed heavy weight lifting as well. That'll make you bigger. Even if you don't work out though, you would be healthier eating this way.
And on the weightlifting thing, high sets, and low reps help build muscle density, (5 sets of 5 reps), where low sets and high reps (3 sets of 10) are for toning and bringing that muscle out to the skin. So if you're looking to get bigger, you may want to do 5x5's. Oh, and if you are not squatting and deadlifting, you are wasting your time. Those are the 2 best exercises and work the most muscles of any exercise. Benching and Pressing are great too for the upper body.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.