Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Vinyl Door Insert Dealies

4K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  streetfocus 
#1 ·
Have they peeled for anyone down here in texas? This is the first thing on my focus that has fallen apart :( I took my door panel off and fabric cemented it back on with pressing weight and whatnot. But of course before that I peeled off the nasty rotten foam glue crap that was holding it.

Has anyone else had this problem and tried to fix it? I'm concerned with all the stuff around it being non-removable so if it continues to peel it would be a huge biotch to fix.

#2 ·
Holy cow long time no see [wave]

Just take the door panel off and you can remove that insert and glue it back. On the very early models like Yeller' it doesn't come off, or it doesn't come off very easily. On yours you should be able to remove it.

#3 ·
well the part that sucks is the little arm rest is plastic welded on and it overlaps that vinyl a bit. I'm thinking that if it peels again I'll just try to refinish it with something else. Maybe some OE looking cloth?

#7 ·
Lol, noooo. With a lot of prep work I could paint it body color and glossy.. I like MINI interiors when they are piano black accented. Could do where the vinyl goes and the radio bezel.

However, my interior is Flint/Charcoal since it is a SES. I dunno, maybe I could try and make it silver like the radio bezel is stock (and currently still is)

#9 ·
We'll see if it peels again, then all bets are off lol :p

Right now I'm just pissed that my radio buttons are chipping. LIGHT LEAKING ERRRYYYWHERE!

#11 ·
My driver's side door vinyl by the armrest just started peeling, too. I bought the interior spray adhedsive (expensive orange can) and it holds for about 2 days or so. I have tried twice. Mine is an all black interior that I like and want to keep. Let me know what works for you please. It is driving me nuts.

#13 ·
Well I am glad to announce that I have driven my Focus about 600 miles the past two weekends in the blistering heat and the cheap ass wal-mart fabric cement has held fast!

Did you clean off all the stock adhesive before applying the costly interior spray stuff? All I did was brush all that factory gunk off with a whisk broom before gluing mine.

#12 ·
So far my fabric cement is holding. I hardly ever drive my car so we'll see what it does rotting in the sun.

#14 ·
Well, mine didn't have excess gunk that you could whisk away. Mine has the plastic with what looks like kind of brushed fiber soft adhesive. It is not sticky to the touch. I don't know. I will try the fabric cement for sure this weekend. What does it look like? What kind of bottle?

#15 ·
Mine looked like it was held on with a huge backing of black double sided foam tape and it was pretty dry rotted so I wisked that off.

I used "Dritz Liquid Stitch Fabric Mender" stolen straight from my mother haha. She said she got it from Wal-Mart. I'm kinda glad that my 3M Super 77 was all dried up since this stuff was really easy to work with and could be smoothed all around under the vinyl.

#17 ·
When you go to walmart just head to where they have the fabrics and sowing stuff. I think they carry a couple. Usually in a squeeze tube but could be in a bottle. Hobby lobby also sells 4-5 different fabric glues as well. In case you have a Hobby Lobby near you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.