NC Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains (Deals gap - "Dragon") Meet? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Regional Forums > South East Fanatics > Fanatics: Florida

Fanatics: Florida Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Florida areas.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
NC Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains (Deals gap - "Dragon") Meet?

Wanted to see if anyone was interested in having a meet this summer/early fall in the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains near Asheville NC. I live in Asheville, went to College at WCU and grew up here for the most part so I know of some challenging places to drive. The Blue Ridge parkway (BMW's Greenville SC plant tests cars up here in the curves) is practically in my backyard and the Smokies are about an hour away. What I'd like to see is if people would be interested in meeting up for either a day drive thru the mountains or a weekend of camping/driving in the Smokey Mountains and possibly camping at TSALI campground on lake Fontana (I would definitely be bringing the jet ski if we did this) and driving out to the "DRAGON" which is in Deals Gap NC where parts of several older movies have been filmed (The Fugitive, Thunder Road, Two-Lane Blacktop)

"This stretch of road contains 318 curves in just 11 miles a steep series of "S" curves where one would not want to meet a tractor-trailer. The road then levels and straightens until a series of curves approaching the Crossroads of Time, one of the main hangouts for cyclists. Next comes Deals Gap and the Tennessee State Line. We'll leave the rest for you to describe after you ride it. Many just remember curve after curve after curve and surviving the run of their lives."

Deals Gap - Dragon

Motorcycles, Ferrari, Porsche, WRX, and GTI clubs have been meeting up to go to the "Dragon" for years and I think it's time to take the FOCI up there. I've been up there several times on everything from Road Racing bicycles and motorcycles to most recently my SVTF last summer. I've organized small meets like this a couple of times before when I had my MR2 and MX6 so I think I could tie up all the loose ends pretty well.

Blue Ridge parkway

Anyway, I have a house in Asheville and would be interested in working out the logistics to make this happen if anyone is interested. Seems the first weekend of August will be a good time to organize this tentatively.........let me know if you are interested since I am open to suggestions or help

Last edited by 02SVTFOCI; 05-10-2004 at 02:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 07:32 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 893
What I Drive: '04 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 scironzts Good Standing Member
i'm DEFINITELY down for this if it happens. i've been wanting to get out there and give it a whirl anyways. so yeah, keep me posted!!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

No problem.........going to nail down a specific date based on the shows and auto-x events for this summer I'll be at. Tarboro? I was in Cary at my brothers this last weekend (showing him how to drive his new M3).............how far is Tarboro from Raleigh?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 893
What I Drive: '04 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 scironzts Good Standing Member
only about 45 minutes. not far at all. i go out there to shop at the malls (MUCH better than around here. ha ha).
Old 05-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

bump
Old 11-21-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7150
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 P.Z.E.V. 2.3L & 2003 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750

FF Reputation: 1 jakedillon84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
WERD!

Hell yeah! I live in Raleigh, N.C. and went to Deal's Gap with my motorbike in early October. Actually, I went north to Virginia, rode the Blue Ridge Parkway (minus detours due to tropical systems) to Deal's Gap, then the Cherohala Skyway in Tennessee. Absolutely and unquestionably the most damn fun I've had with my pants on (the fact I was also wearing leather at the time is of no consequence). You decide to GET 'R DONE in the near future, give me a buzz and I'll see if I can swing it.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12276
What I Drive: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

FF Reputation: 1 Stephen S. Good Standing Member
I'm in Tallahassee, FL., but my family is in Atlanta, which isn't too bad of a drive. I'm in on it if it happens.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 41,660, Level 100
Points: 41,660, Level: 100 Points: 41,660, Level: 100 Points: 41,660, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If theres a big enough group going i might be willing to drive up there. thats a long drive so if i did i would have to be a weekend g2g
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
Old 11-28-2004, 08:00 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1962
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 focus44 Good Standing Member
If theres a big enough group going i might be willing to drive up there. thats a long drive so if i did i would have to be a weekend g2g.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Just to mention, I drove about 8 hours from Cleveland to drive Deal's Gap/The Dragon and it was well worth it!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.