SVT 6Speed on 2.0 Zetec DOHC - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
AKA Fast_Focus

Fan#: 17238
What I Drive: 2007 LG ZX4, 2007 Yamaha Blue R6

FF Reputation: 14 Slo_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
SVT 6Speed on 2.0 Zetec DOHC

I have a 2001 SE with a 2.0 Zetec DOHC, Is it possible to put the new tranny in without any major mods to the engine to transaxle mounting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2039
What I Drive: See Sig..

FF Reputation: 2 AC21365 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
search button.. been covered MANY times b4..
Present:
2005 Silver Focus 2.3L ST Sedan - 5-speed w/all the options
Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
AKA Fast_Focus

well the thing is ... I already have the MTX-75... Y'all dont think it is worth the $$?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7906
What I Drive: '01 CD Silver ZX3(mine) '04 Light Tundra ZX5(wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 FocuzdZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
There are two ways to view this. If you have driven an SVT and like the 6spd then it will be worth it for you. If you don't like the 6spd then it wont be worth it. Thats it.

Are any of our mods worth it?? they do nothing for resale. A mod is worth it if YOU like it. Once I get my motor built up to the 150hp/160hp mark then my last move will br the 6spd, if I can find one at a decent price.

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!
origanal FF #: 2221

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i heard its harder to get everything outa the 6sp getrag tahn it is with the mtx75...and if the what that guy said is tru bout the 70mph being the same for both trannys then whats the point on blowing the extra bucks...get a 406 gear ratio or something
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #6

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by FastFocus2006
well the thing is ... I already have the MTX-75... Y'all dont think it is worth the $$?
To answer that in one word, no. I can see what FocuzdZX5 is saying (we've argued about this before) but I honestly think you would be unhappy with having spent your money on doing this mod. I've driven the 6-speed (duh, I have one ) and I like it, but I don't think it's worth the money you would have to spend to get it to work in your car. From what I can recall, this is NOT a simple bolt-up swap. Factor the cost of modifying the two parts (engine/transaxle) to fit together, the cost of the transmission itself, the cost of removal and installation, the cost of a new aftermarket clutch and flywheel (because the stock Ford parts suck)... just not worth it unless you have access to a free mechanic and a free SVT transmission. Unless you're dying to have one extra forward gear, I would spend the money elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
AKA Fast_Focus

you're probablt right... besides I've already replaced the clutch and you're right... stock parts suck... I wish I could've put a high performance clutch in (I did it myself removal and install) it so I can take it to the track and dump that clutch all I want... b/c I blew the springs out of the stock clutch... even though it already had 80,000 miles on it... but the reason I couldn't put the diff. clitch in was b/c I'm only 16 and my dad said that I can put performance parts on the car until I'm 18
Old 01-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #8

Sounds like a smart dad. I can only remember how many stupid things I did behind the wheel when I first started driving, it's a good thing I didn't have a really fast car or I'd probably be dead.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
there are no modifications necessary to block or transmission to get it to bolt in. the zetec and the svt engine are the SAME BLOCK, and have the SAME bellhousing bolt pattern. you WILL have to get a new clutch/flywheel, clutch master/slave cylinder, use the SVT halfshafts, and probably upgrade your front hubs to the SVT ones. the SVT trans is fairly easy to work on out of the car, but getting it out is a downright b*tch. it pulls a higher rpm at the same mph as the mtx75, though the VCT on the SVT compensates for the higher revs and improves gas mileage. unless your car is a dedicated autox or road race car, it will not be worth it...at least not from a monetary stand. but as pointed out, mods are worth it if YOU like it, so if YOU like it, and money is not an issue, go ahead and enjoy
Old 01-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #10

Well I guess I remembered wrong about the bolt-up thing. Fine. But I'm not trying to force my opinion on FastFocus2006, just trying to prevent a needless expense of money for a disappointing mod. Like I said, if it's all free, then what the hell, but come on... is this really worth how much it would cost?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.