2012 Focus Sedan ST Conversion - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 235
Points 2,019, Level 27
Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus Sedan ST Conversion

So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.


I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

And then for fun add a ST front bumper and ST decal on the back instead of SEL.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.


I'm positive I can get a 0-60 around 5 seconds or less(what I'm shooting for).


Maybe I'm shooting for the stars, but hey, it's a thought.


UPDATE

So far appearance upgrades to be a STedan will cost $2698.96 before shipping.. so around 3k extra.. which isn't bad tbh...

Thats for:
ST front end
ST side skirts
3d rear skirt
Leather racing seats
ST decal (for the rear)


For performance cost will be around $2847.88 before shipping and cost of a supercharger.

SCT Tune
Steeda CAI
Ford Racing Performance Parts 2012+ Focus Handling Kit
FSWERKS Race Exhaust System
Direct Port Nitrous


That should end up somewhere around 200 or so horsepower but with a turbocharger I could probably be seeing 240ish(?) and then an extra 250hp from the NOS.

Taking a guess and saying the turbocharger will be something $600..

With some small extra interior mods, dash kit, new speakers, and new wheels and tires, I think this build will cost less than $10,000. Considering the stock car I'd start on will probably cost 13k or so, this should be an under 25k car.

Should be a quick car.



Last edited by FamousMassacre; 08-09-2013 at 02:39 AM.
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic
 
SilverPony2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Fan#: 27073
Location: Naperville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

Posts: 1,653
Points 8,206, Level 61
Points: 8,206, Level: 61 Points: 8,206, Level: 61 Points: 8,206, Level: 61
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I guess it would be more fun to do that build, but I think it's more practical to just get the ST from the get go.
SilverPony2001 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 235
Points 2,019, Level 27
Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPony2001 View Post
I guess it would be more fun to do that build, but I think it's more practical to just get the ST from the get go.
My thing is, I'd theoretically end up spending about the same and either end up stock, or a modified S(T)edan.

It'd definitely get attention.
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast
 
redwake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100718
Location: Visalia, CA
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

Posts: 348
Points 1,028, Level 17
Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You would be better off starting with an escape.

If you actually build a boosted awd mk3 saloon find me
Ill buy you a beer.

Otherwise sell the focus and get an escape or leave this blue oval for the other.
__________________
Quote:
MK1 ZTS w/Lentec ATX - More economical than a Prius
2" drop - projectors - boost by vortech - tune by fswerks

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
redwake is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 235
Points 2,019, Level 27
Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
You would be better off starting with an escape.

If you actually build a boosted awd mk3 saloon find me
Ill buy you a beer.

Otherwise sell the focus and get an escape or leave this blue oval for the other.
Escape ST? what


I'm underage mate! But yeah...30 psi focus! hahaha
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast
 
macatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Fan#: 65326
Location: Norwich, CT
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

Posts: 258
FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
So this has been going through my head and I think it'd be a very interesting car idea.

I have a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and tbh I'm not a fan of it.. tranny problems and I've been averaging 15-16mpg at 45mph....anyway.


I would like to turbocharge the engine, new exhaust, suspension, tune, CAI, filter, do a transmission swap to go to manual, short throw shifter, lower the car for better handling, and if possible, get it to be AWD.

And then for fun add a ST front bumper and ST decal on the back instead of SEL.

I know it's kinda a given that I'll run into problems, but it's either put in $15k or less into making a (worlds first?) 2012 Sedan ST or throw up an extra $12kish on buying a stock Focus ST.

One thing that I'm curious on is how the dealership would appraise it if I turn it in.


I'm positive I can get a 0-60 around 5 seconds or less(what I'm shooting for).


Maybe I'm shooting for the stars, but hey, it's a thought.
That sounds like a TALL drink of water my friend. And, although you may be able to pull off a good portion of this proposed build for around 15k, there's no way an AWD setup will come in under that price. Converting a non AWD vehicle to AWD is very challenging (and costly) due to the necessary reinforcements that are needed (not to mention a drivetrain, transmission and engine to go with it). Either way, though, if you do decide to "take the plunge" please be sure to post up from time to time on how your project is developing!

Although...as mentioned above, a Ford Escape would be a perfect subject to start with.
macatron is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast
 
redwake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100718
Location: Visalia, CA
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

Posts: 348
Points 1,028, Level 17
Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17 Points: 1,028, Level: 17
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post

I'm underage mate!
By the time you finish it you won't be..

The escape shares the same platform as the focus, extremely similar motor to the st in the Eco boost trim and has an awd option

Add some curb weight, body role, an raise the center of gravity and that's exactly what it is... An ST
__________________
Quote:
MK1 ZTS w/Lentec ATX - More economical than a Prius
2" drop - projectors - boost by vortech - tune by fswerks

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
redwake is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 235
Points 2,019, Level 27
Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
That sounds like a TALL drink of water my friend. And, although you may be able to pull off a good portion of this proposed build for around 15k, there's no way an AWD setup will come in under that price. Converting a non AWD vehicle to AWD is very challenging (and costly) due to the necessary reinforcements that are needed (not to mention a drivetrain, transmission and engine to go with it). Either way, though, if you do decide to "take the plunge" please be sure to post up from time to time on how your project is developing!
The only reason I considered an AWD conversion is to help improve the acceleration.
Is FWD to RWD as hard?

I don't think 400hp or so at the front wheels is very good lol
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104066
Location: San Antonio, United States
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Posts: 235
Points 2,019, Level 27
Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27 Points: 2,019, Level: 27
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
By the time you finish it you won't be..

The escape shares the same platform as the focus, extremely similar motor to the st in the Eco boost trim and has an awd option

Add some curb weight, body role, an raise the center of gravity and that's exactly what it is... An ST
Has anyone done this?

I can always lower the escape and remove seats, sway bars, etc.

I would like to make a 5 second 0-60 car.

Dad has a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and mom has a 2013 Taurus SHO(with everything).


The new escapes or older one?
FamousMassacre is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 13,422
Points 11,000, Level 69
Points: 11,000, Level: 69 Points: 11,000, Level: 69 Points: 11,000, Level: 69
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 31 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
Has anyone done this?

I can always lower the escape and remove seats, sway bars, etc.

I would like to make a 5 second 0-60 car.

Dad has a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and mom has a 2013 Taurus SHO(with everything).


The new escapes or older one?
Only the new one uses the same engine as the Focus ST, Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, Edge, et al, as well as being the one that directly shares it's chassis with the current MK3 Focus.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1