Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec Swap Write Up

75K views 161 replies 37 participants last post by  Kiwiblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm gonna make one of these cause I can't seem to find one. If I seach I just find threads started by someone and all the do is say use the search function. Truth be told the tread doesn't exist.

I'm in the prosess of doing this so I'll post up as I go.

This is a 2002 auto SPI going to a 2002 auto zetec.

What you need if the cars are the same year.

For Zetec:

-Complete engine harness (goes back to fuel pump)
-Engine computer
-Exhaust manifold and flex pipe
-Alternator
-Coolant hoses
-fuel rail fuel line
-Intake tube
-Key reprogrammed (reflashed) required after install
-passengerside engine mount and bracket
-ATX harness
-power steering line and pump
-throttle cable and cruise control cable
-Positive and negative cables
-A/C compressor
-Flex plate

What you can reuse from your SPI:

-Driver side engine mount
-A/C lines
-Transmisson (auto trans is the same, but it is geared different)
-radiator
-axles if not switching from auto to five speed or vise versa.
-coolant tank
-MAF sensor
-air box

What I have now.

2.0 SPI SOHC

This is the donor car I'm taking the parts from.

2.0 Zetec.

Zetec wire harness

Zetec ecu that matches transmission

Zetec alternator

It don't hurt to change the timing belt while the engine is out. plus throttle body seal.

Zetec throttle body and throttle cable

Zetec power steering line.

Zetec engine mount and braket.

zetec water pipe.

Lower zetec water line.

Engine is in now for a test fit and to see what needs to be done with the coolant lines, and harness.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, Ranger!

Please keep up with this thread; I have a Focus with a munched valve seat too, and am considering sticking a Zetec in it. I've been trying to figure out what needs replacing and if it's worth it.
Ironically, I bought my car new and looked hard to find the SOHC engine because it gets 1 mpg better mileage than the Zetec. Until the valve seat falls into the cylinder, anyway. I haven't driven it enough to check the mileage since then, though I was considering adjusting the valves on that cylinder to never open, and pulling the plug wire to see what kind of mileage I'd get on three cylinders...

Thanks for putting in the time and trouble to keep us informed on your project.

#3 ·
No problem. I myself have seen how aggravating it is to look all this up. I will keep updateing the first post as I go, feel free to discuss and add things to the thread. When it comes to price just do your research and don't be afraid to ask around your local yards. I got a hell of a deal on the zetec and parts cause I told them I was needing a engine swap and asked if they could give me a package deal. So far I'm only in the hole $500.

#4 ·
From this thread, you will also need:

Pass. side motor mount & black support bracket
ATX wiring harness (connectors are different for alternator & rear O2 sensor).
Throttle cable (different connector to TB).
Cruise control cable (different length).
Fuel inertia shut off switch (possibly)
Power steering line from pump to steering rack.

Let me know if you have any other questions.... had to do this to my 2000 wagon.

#15 ·
I haven't made any progress yet. I will be making Trips to my local junk yards starting Monday to start pulling the necessary parts. I can get a complete engine with accessories and wiring for 219.00 plus an 80.00 core, but I have a spare 4.0l v6 laying around I will turn in for a core.

[Drunkyoda] I will probably be in touch soon.

I will try to get as many pictures and information about the process as possible to build a complete write up about swapping.

#16 ·
(Update) I just found a wrecked 2003 Focus ZTS 5 Speed!! Hope this Deal doesn't fall through.

I have searched around and haven't found anything that tells me the parts from the 2003 will be incompatible. Does anyone know if the car being a 2003 will be an issue at all?

#17 ·
What year is your car again? I use taptalk most of the time and I can't see you profile info under your avatar.
From what I can remember, your switching everything out anyways as long as the engine, trans match the ecu. You'll be fine. Just get the harness, engine, trans all the same year. Same car if possible and since your looking at a donor car you should have no issue.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

#23 ·
No they just reprogram the keys. If everything is swaped over that is required to swap over the keys are the last thing needed done, the rest acts like it came with the car from the factory.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

#27 ·
I dunno how, I assume they use a key maker. They an just make a copy of a key. I don't know how they go about reprogramming it. The $50 to 60 dollars is the price they charged me to do the whole process. Which was to make a second key, and reprogram it for the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.