Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec Swap Write Up

75K views 161 replies 37 participants last post by  Kiwiblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm gonna make one of these cause I can't seem to find one. If I seach I just find threads started by someone and all the do is say use the search function. Truth be told the tread doesn't exist.

I'm in the prosess of doing this so I'll post up as I go.

This is a 2002 auto SPI going to a 2002 auto zetec.

What you need if the cars are the same year.

For Zetec:

-Complete engine harness (goes back to fuel pump)
-Engine computer
-Exhaust manifold and flex pipe
-Alternator
-Coolant hoses
-fuel rail fuel line
-Intake tube
-Key reprogrammed (reflashed) required after install
-passengerside engine mount and bracket
-ATX harness
-power steering line and pump
-throttle cable and cruise control cable
-Positive and negative cables
-A/C compressor
-Flex plate

What you can reuse from your SPI:

-Driver side engine mount
-A/C lines
-Transmisson (auto trans is the same, but it is geared different)
-radiator
-axles if not switching from auto to five speed or vise versa.
-coolant tank
-MAF sensor
-air box

What I have now.

2.0 SPI SOHC

This is the donor car I'm taking the parts from.

2.0 Zetec.

Zetec wire harness

Zetec ecu that matches transmission

Zetec alternator

It don't hurt to change the timing belt while the engine is out. plus throttle body seal.

Zetec throttle body and throttle cable

Zetec power steering line.

Zetec engine mount and braket.

zetec water pipe.

Lower zetec water line.

Engine is in now for a test fit and to see what needs to be done with the coolant lines, and harness.

See less See more
#143 · (Edited)
Ok after waiting a week got the cat converter on, got the flexpipe connected (YAY found a perfect fit - something going right for a change!) .. go to connect the EGR tube... and it's missing a connection from it to the cat converter.. it's short a pipe fitting (adapter??) about 1 or 2 inches...

any ideas what it is, where to get it? Been to every shop and parts store and industrial fastener stores around me and noone has any metric threads that fit that sucker.. it looks like it's a metric size 21?

//edit
after finding a junkyard that let me tear apart an engine that still had a cat converter on it, I managed to find the connector fitting between the cat converter and egr pipe. sadly the egr pipe died a tragic death in the uninstallation process, and the fitting died a gruesome death when I took it to Midas for them to disassemble further... it was then that I found out Ford sells that part for $10.45.

#147 ·
Hi all, I'm presently doing a swap for my ford focus 2007 sedan with a Sigma 1.6l to a zetec engine. I've completed the swap but the car won't start. Please can anyone give me pointers as the brain box wouldn't communicate with the computer to at least determine what the trouble is?

#150 ·
Sorry I missed the post. I rarely post on any car forums any more. Only picture I had was in bunched into a box. You'll need new coolant lines, a few vacuum lines, the coolant pipe which I have if you need one. I think I still do anyways.

#151 ·
The 2002 Zetec motor I purchased has a rectangular connector at the firewall on the passenger side and the 2003 wiring harness has an oval connector. I took lots of pics before I went to get my harness so I could grab all the other wiring I might need. The 2003 Zetec fuel injector wiring harness went right on the 2003 motor with only the TPS on the throttle body having a different connector. Anyone have an 2003 Zetec throttle body for cheap?

#154 ·
Hi there, about to do this same swap to my 2000 SE spi sedan in New Zealand, The car is still left hand drive in a right hand drive country (brought over here when wifey moved from the USA) the donor car I'm using is a 2000 zetec wagon (right hand drive) everything of read it will be just the same conversion only thing I have stuck is that the RHD has 2 fuel feed lines from the tank instead of 1 like on the US models so I'm guessing I'm using the pump and extra fuel line as well.

#158 ·
I am writing this in hopes that someone is still paying attention to this thread

I recently purchased 2 Ford Focus sedans, one is a 2001 LX that had the SOHC SPI and the other is a 2002 SE that has a DOHC Vin Code 3 engine. The body for the one with the DOHC engine is in really bad shape where as the other body is in great shape but does not have an engine or transmission.

Here is my question,
Can I bolt the entire k-member with engine and transmission out of the DOHC car into the SOHC car? I know the wiring harnesses and the ecu will need to be swapped from the DOHC car also but to bypass having to have the key reprogrammed can I just swap the entire steering column instead and use the keys that match the column and ECU

#159 ·
You have the best way to do this swap. Two complete cars. Do a wholesale swap of engine and transmission between both cars. K member is the same. You are right about needing to swap the wiring harness and ECU. There is lots of info regarding all the pieces needed to swap between the cars to get this done. You should be able to swap the lock cylinders on the doors and the steering column to get around the key reprogramming issue. I have done this swap, but it was a while ago. I will help if you need it.

#160 ·
danvhp, thank you for your reply. I am planning to start writing up everything that I am going to need to purchase this weekend while I am around both cars (everything for the swap and the few missing body pieces I will end up needing), it seems easy enough I just wanted to make sure there would be someone on here available for help if needed. I am planning to replaced the timing belt and associated components while the engine is out of the cars also, is there anything else I should look at replacing while its out?

#161 ·
I would replace things like axle seals, crank and camshaft seals while the engine is out and easy to work on. Also, if your handy with a soldering iron, you can cut the gas tank harness under the back seat instead of dropping the gas tank to disconnect the harness at the tank. It s what I did. The whole swap is a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.