Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec Swap Write Up

75K views 161 replies 37 participants last post by  Kiwiblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm gonna make one of these cause I can't seem to find one. If I seach I just find threads started by someone and all the do is say use the search function. Truth be told the tread doesn't exist.

I'm in the prosess of doing this so I'll post up as I go.

This is a 2002 auto SPI going to a 2002 auto zetec.

What you need if the cars are the same year.

For Zetec:

-Complete engine harness (goes back to fuel pump)
-Engine computer
-Exhaust manifold and flex pipe
-Alternator
-Coolant hoses
-fuel rail fuel line
-Intake tube
-Key reprogrammed (reflashed) required after install
-passengerside engine mount and bracket
-ATX harness
-power steering line and pump
-throttle cable and cruise control cable
-Positive and negative cables
-A/C compressor
-Flex plate

What you can reuse from your SPI:

-Driver side engine mount
-A/C lines
-Transmisson (auto trans is the same, but it is geared different)
-radiator
-axles if not switching from auto to five speed or vise versa.
-coolant tank
-MAF sensor
-air box

What I have now.

2.0 SPI SOHC

This is the donor car I'm taking the parts from.

2.0 Zetec.

Zetec wire harness

Zetec ecu that matches transmission

Zetec alternator

It don't hurt to change the timing belt while the engine is out. plus throttle body seal.

Zetec throttle body and throttle cable

Zetec power steering line.

Zetec engine mount and braket.

zetec water pipe.

Lower zetec water line.

Engine is in now for a test fit and to see what needs to be done with the coolant lines, and harness.

See less See more
#85 ·
I did the swap with a AUtomatic 2.0 ztec engine, i want to keep it MT transmicion, so i keep the MT from the sohc engine, i change the engine harnes from auto to manual but i keep the ecu from the auto engine, 2.0 zetec, mi car dont start do i need the MT ecu? Please help

#86 ·
Ok a couple things, you put the sohc mt on the dohc engine? I didn't think that was possible.

Second you need the ecu for the zetec engine but if you keep it manual you will need manual zetec ecu.

Third, once you get a the correct ecu, it will need to be towed to a ford dealer and has to have the spi pats system reflashed to match the zetec ecu. Other wise it will never start.

#87 ·
Thanks! I will look for a a MT zetec ecu, an yes i put the sohc trans on the dohc, the bolts of the flywheel are different, i drill the fly wheel and everything match, dou you think if i put the AT back, with the all the originals i can get the car to start?, thanks a lot here were i live people dont know how to deal with this car i love my focus i dont want to loose it thanks

#88 ·
No, the zetec ecu won't match the spi pats system either way. I have heard from someone else that if you take the key, and lock cylinder from the car you get the ecu from it will start. But I can't promise that.

#89 ·
I heard the same thing from a friend of mine with the same problem , he live in phil, he told me to get the key , cilinder and ecu, but here i dont have those options, i live in Puerto Rico we dont have focus in the junkyard if i find one they dont have the keys ,
What options do i have?

#91 ·
Spi to zetec swap

So I jus finished a s.p.i to zetec swap, cars were same years, except the zetec donor had all electronic and the lx didn't,, anywho I took the tranny and motors outa both due to them being the same, and I have everything hooked up that I needed for the swap.. Turned key today and NO POwER!! Power to the fuse box and nowhere else?????? Any ideas?

#96 ·
If your doing the same model year, you won't need to mess with the dash harness.

The main engine harness comes off the firewall, runs into the passenger side wheel well, then into the car just behind the glove compartment.

Which where it meets up with the ecu. It then goes down to floor and runs along the inside kick panell all the way back under the rear seat, then down to the fuel pump. It only forks off just under the passenger seat to go over to the center console.

I didn't need to mess with the dash harness at all. Both the zetec harness and spi harness are exactly the same after the fork off to the console.

So if you are good at wiring and soldiering you can splice the harnesses together just pass the passenger seat so you don't need to drop the fuel tank.

#132 ·
oh I see.. very different large connectors on the ends.

For the record, I've now done it with both... in and around engine and without the engine in. I can say that it is WAY EASIER without the engine in, but not impossible (albeit extremely frustrating!) .. I pulled an atx transmission harness from a junkyard vehicle last saturday... and have the tetanus shot to prove it! :D .. ow. At least it's all in place.. In fact putting it back in and soldering it up happened yesterday and it was actually a LOT easier than I dreamed it would be... then again I still have the brain laying out waiting for Ford to program it (was hoping they'd be kind enough to use some of their straps to re place it into the wall since I saved them the effort of unhooking it from there? :) ...

One or two things I ran into a problem was (and still looking for an answers) is on the engine harness I had to snip at the ac power line (small two wire plug off the first branch after the firewall cup, engine side in case I have the wrong part listed) (I can take a picture if needed) which on the harness side, the wires are blue and red (solid colors) but the plug from my old harness that goes to that junction is green with red stripe and green with orange stripe.. I hope it's green with red to red, and green with orange to blue?? Anyone know?
2: I can't figure out how to change the throttle cable (Auto) and the Cruise Control cable? Is there a guide to those somewhere?

Lastly,... In the first page of this thread, almost all of the pictures are not showing up.. only one or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.