Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2.5d engine swap

19K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with installing a 2.5l Duratec in a 2005-7 Focus. I am thinking about a 2009 Escape engine. It looks like it would bolt up to the Focus mounts and the accessories should fit OK. I know I would have to change intakes (23D probably) as the 2.5 is drive by wire.

The issue that would seem to be a real problem is that this engine is a VVT and I would have to use a fixed cam arrangement as my processor won't handle VVT.

#3 ·
I know I would love to do the swap myself in my 2010. If it were me I would get the 6 speed as well, being that you could get it in the fusion that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
this was from Tom back in April

"I have made a prototype VCT Elim for the 2.5 now and working on making everything a bolt in for the 2.5L"

Also

"Ford 2.5 out of the Fusion is the best swap"

and this was also posted by someone else

"I believe the 2.5 comes standard with VCT. Which means you will have to get an ECU to go with the engine. And since it isn't in a Focus, that will make the swap even harder."

#10 ·
You can throw a set of stock cams and pulleys (after market/stock cams from head without vct) and keep the vct solenoid unplugged. The 2.5 head accepts non-vvt cams, but vvt will not work, if you don't care about vvt no problem.
This is what I'll do. I can post some pictures of the 2.5 block.

#14 ·
So what all is involved here? Can i just pick up a complete 2.5L from a Fusion, drop in a set of (Gen 2) Stage 1 or 2 cams, a header, get a tune and drop it in?

It has been done, but a write up on parts needed and or a things to do would be great.
I would love to do this in the next year or so and keep it NA, I think a nice easy 200-225 FWHP should be no problem.

#17 ·
Pm 1TurboFocus

Tom really wants to do one of these. I had issues with money myself or I'd have one. You'll probably have to take the car down to NC though, but if you have the money, Tom will hook you up.

The only question is- to turbo or not to turbo. With NA, I'd expect a streetable (meaning Stg2 cams, intake, header, and 3" exh) 250 hp/190 lb-ft on a dyno. That torque might be lower as it typically doesn't vary much from stock which was 175. The only way to get more torque is to turbo. That would be wild. Due to piston speed restrictions you might have an engine that shouldn't be revved past 6500, but you'd have a ton of power from the git-go to there.

#21 ·
They have a smaller stroke in 2.3 then the 2.5 and smaller intaked and more would be my best guess, I like the idea but who has done this with success and did it like a 2.3L swap... I know someone did a entire swap out with everything but really whats the difference in a 2.0L to a 2.5L

#22 ·
Wikipedia: Ford Duratec Engine said:
Duratec 25
The Duratec 25, or Duratec 2.5 L I-4, is an evolution of the Duratec 23. 'Duratec 25' should not be confused with the similarly named 2.5 L V6 Ford Duratec. The new Duratec 25 is an inline 4-cylinder engine design that is identical to the Mazda MZR 2.5L engine. The bore and stroke have increased over the 2.3 L to 89 mm (3.5 in) x 100 mm and as such now displaces 2488 cc | 151ci. Power has been increased to 175 hp@6000 rpm and 172 lb-ft@4500 rpm torque. It is the smoothest and quietest Duratec 4-cylinder. A Hybrid Duratec 25 will be replacing the Hybrid Duratec 23.
Fuel saving features include adaptive knock control and aggressive deceleration fuel cutoff.[3]
2010– Ford Fusion
2010– Mercury Milan
2009– Ford Escape
It's extremely likely that the D25 has a dual-mass flywheel like the other Dtecs and SVT. It's actually common on large diesel engines and European performance engines. It absorbs some of the initial torque of an engaging clutch so your shifts are smoother. It's also a part that requires replacement when the clutch is changed, and it's much more expensive than a single mass flywheel. It also extends clutch life. My factory clutch is at 140k. The most I've ever gone on a factory clutch is 160k. I'm curious how long this one will last.

#23 ·
New Wrinkle

Thanks again for the feedback but I just ran across a new wrinkle from the Engine Swap thread.

Apparently the 2005 Focus 2.0d has a unique cam sensor. The sensor from the later engines will not give the correct timing data to the 2005 processor and you can't simply put the 2005 sensor on the new engine. The thread was referring to a 2009 2.0d but I am sure if they changed that engine they did the 2.5d also. It also has a comment that the cams from a 2005 may not be interchangeable.

Anybody with knowledge of this issue?

#24 ·
There are many years that you can unplug the cam sensor and the engine start and run fine , it would be interesting for people with Diff years to chime in ans say if there Focus will start with out the sensor

I know all the Zetec and SVT will start and run with no cam sensor plugged in (SVT will not run properly because of the VCT with cam unplugged , with my VCT Elim it runs properly tho)

So if people with diff year duratec will chime in after unplugging there cam sensor if it starts and runs right ?

Tom

#32 ·
I have been asking around on this one and Tom appears to be correct about disconnecting the cam sensor once the computer has "registered" the location at initial start. Timing is done through the crank sensor.

What is not known is the result if the computer looses this registry. This can happen if the battery is disconnected for an extended period of time. The computer will go through an initial start process that sets the timing, injector settings etc. These settings go into a "keep alive" memory that the computer holds after the engine is shut down for the next start.

Village T

I am going to be off work for a couple days and I plan to test what happens after the "keep alive" memory is dumped.

#33 ·
Add 2005 2.0d 50 state to the list.

I disconnected the CMP sensor and drove it about 25 miles-ran just fine (MIL light came on of course). When I got back I disconnected the battery, emptied "keep alive" and restarted the engine with no problems. There was no perceptible change in driving characteristics.

Village T

#35 ·
He is where I am on the 2.5d Installation

What I expect from this engine swap is a nice drivable engine package with a substantial improvement in HP and torque. This is a daily driver with SVT suspension and 17” in wheels. Its fun to drive as is but a little more scoot would be very nice. It is also getting much harder to find a low mileage 2.3d so the price of 2.5 shouldn’t be much higher. Yes cost is a big issue on this update!

The issues with this installation appear to be as follows:
1) I plan using my existing MTX75 so the rear mounts should work as is. It may be worth while to put a lower poly mount in to help with engine roll but I will try the production mount first. The flywheel will be c/o 2.0l with an upgraded 2.3 clutch (I am pretty easy on clutches). The 2.5d front mount bracket is different but I should be able to use the 2.0d mount and a spacer to match the deck height change.
2) Some tape measurements of my wife’s 2.5d Escape intake manifold indicates that manifold should package in the Focus but the TB is a drive by wire. I would have to use a cable operated TB and this might require an adapter.
3) The cam position sensor (CMP) in the 2.5d will not work with my processor. Since the engine seems to run fine without it I could leave it disconnected but would not have a MIL function. Someone had responded in a separate post that the later D engine CMP sensor provided four signals per RPM while the 2005 only provided one. If there were 4 slots or bumps on the intake cam to provide a signal could 3 of those be removed or filled in?
4) The current plan is to let the computer continue to think it is a 2.0d and compensate for air fuel ratio with a tune. This means that I would have to use the 2.0d crank sensor, throttle position sensor, and MAF and EGOs. The VVT control will be deactivated and simply not connected. I have to find out what the default position for the cams is with the VVT off. I may look it some way to mechanically lock them in a best compromise position. Using the c/o MAF will certainly affect the HP and torque but low and mid throttle performance should be pretty good. A MAF upgrade would be first on the plate for upgrades and it would possible to install the complete 2.5d intake setup from the Escape by putting the battery in the back but the electronics implications could be very significant.
5) The exhaust manifold looks like it would package without a problem but the pipe diameter is larger and would require an all new exhaust system. One of the aftermarket Focus systems (2 ¼ in) should work fine.

I have been using the Escape as a reference simply because of convenience. I do need to spend some time with a Fusion to see if those parts will work better. The Fusion engine is listed with about 4 additional HP.

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Village T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.