Zetec Swap Time - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97952
What I Drive: 2003 black focus se

FF Reputation: 1 fastdeuce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Zetec Swap Time

Well, starting tomorrow, I'm planning on swapping a 2002 2.0 Zetec into my 2003 SE that currently has a SPI engine. Thought I would start this thread as it may help others who are looking at doing the same swap.

Located and bought a 2002 ZTS salvage vehicle with good Zetec DOHC engine and automatic transmission. This donor car looks like a tree fell on it so the body is in bad shape but the engine looks good, starts up and the car drives in all gears.

I have the Ford 2003 service manual as a guide for component placement and order of removal.

2003 SE: I have pulled most of components out of the engine bay with only a few remaining items to allow removal of the SPI engine.

2002 ZTS: Cleaned up a LOT of glass (tree took out front and back windshields) so I'm not crawling through shards of glass during the swap. Will start removing components tomorrow.

I'll try to keep a tally of the actual items that I need to swap and can't reuse from the 2003 SPI setup. I'll post pics where I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93270
What I Drive: 02 Black SE Porsche 928 S-Charged

FF Reputation: 1 DerKrieger Good Standing Member
Keep us posted. A thread like this can be very helpful to anyone looking to do the swap. I just swapped mine about 2 months ago, so if you need any help feel free to contact me.
'89 Porsche 928 S4, Red, 928 Motorsports Supercharger+Dual Exhaust Kit, 525 HP
Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Laws might be different in TX and everywhere else, but how do you buy a donor car/ junk car?

I called a local pick and pull, but they said they don't ever re-sell them, even if your just using it as a parts car.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah, the local junk yards don't seem to want to sell entire salvage/junk cars around here either. Auctions have opened up quite a bit though so that average Joe's like us can bid on the salvage vehicles.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Day 1: We made good progress today.

2003 SE: Not much change today as we spent most of the time on the 2002 donor. Did verify some non-similar connections from the Zetec: Engine electrical connection to computer wiring harness.

2002 ZTS: Removed doors, bumper cover, and all components up to the 3 engine mounts for the engine and transmission. (Trying to get a pic loaded so you can see.) Yes, I decided to remove the doors to make it easier to get the instrument panel and engine computer out. We found the lower front suspension arms were hard to remove from the wheel assemblies. The service manual says to pop them out, but the rust makes it tough. We used plenty of lubricant but what ended up working well was to go ahead and remove the axle half shafts. Then moving the wheel assembly back and forth while prying on the arm helped to pop them out. The pins are in at an angle which make them get hung up.
As others have noted, I found it was a good idea to replace bolts back in their holes after they are removed so it was easy to know where they go on the car.

Tip: remove the bumper cover before draining the coolant. There are only like 8 bolts holding it on and it make a lot more room to get under the front end of the car. I'm using jack stands and don't have a hydraulic lift so there's not much room to work with under the car.

Thought I would remove the CAT and exhaust pipe to make sure they don't get damaged when we drop the engine and transmission, but I don't see an easy way to remove the CAT holding bracket.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Day 2:

2003 SE: Engine mounts removed. SPI engine disconnected and lowered to a custom engine platform on wheels.

2002 ZTS: Zetec engine removed and cleaned/degreased.

My Dad has been here to help me this weekend and he has been invaluable. It is so much easier and faster to have someone to help.

Tip: We lowered the engine out the bottom of the engine bay and raised the front of the car frame above with the engine hoist to wheel the engine out.
Keep plenty of rags as more transmission fluid and antifreeze will leak out as the engine/transmission are moved around.
Have your helper use a flashlight to spot unconnected wires/hoses as you lower the engine to make sure you do not snap/break any lines.
Remove engine mounts completely before lowering the engine so the bolts/studs to not bind on the mounts and stop the engine from lowering.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99517
What I Drive: 2001 Blue SE

Points 341, Level 6
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 GEORGIA_2001_SE Good Standing Member
NEW to focus ownership, fill me in on the ZTS does it have REAR DISC brakes, my car I want to upgrade but SVT ford racing kit is no longer availiable, was these parts on other models?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99517
What I Drive: 2001 Blue SE

Points 341, Level 6
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 GEORGIA_2001_SE Good Standing Member
There is a company in California and Florida that has 5.0 conversions for Focus
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The 2002 ZTS that I bought has front disc rear drum brakes. In the future (read as after the engine swap is successful), I would like to switch the drums to discs.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

2002 ZTS: Removed radiator. (need this for the SE because this was slightly damaged; would not normally need to swap this). removed main engine harness, removed front grill top plastic mounting piece (only swapping due to wear on the SE's), removed 2 main coolant hoses going into firewall.

2003 SE: Removed radiator, removed engine harness, removed 2 main coolant hoses and replaced with the ones from ZTS.

The engine main harness was straightforward enough to remove and swap; just takes time and patience as it runs from the front of engine bay all the way back to the gas tank. As someone else on this forum pointed out, the 2003 SPI has a different engine harness connector from the 2002 (pre-5/2002) Zetec. The alternator connector is in a different position on the harness as well. When I got back to the point where the harness connects to connectors above the gas tank, I just cut the harness as it goes through an access hole and above the gas tank and I'll splice the wires in the SE. I couldn't find an easy way to unplug the connectors without dropping the gas tank.

I decided to do a timing belt change while the engine is out so I'm stalled putting the engine in until I can get the idler and tension pulleys. I've already replaced the water pump.

Current list of items that must be swapped from 2002 Zetec to 2003 SE SPI:

-engine
-PCM
-main engine harness
-2 coolant hoses coming from center bottom of firewall (different lengths than SPI hoses; don't know if SPI hoses will work with the Zetec)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.