Alternator - removal from engine compartment - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94287
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 WrinkledCheese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator - removal from engine compartment

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, this seemed like the best place for my question. If not please tell me where is AND move this thread there :)

This is the first Ford I've owned. The alternator is gone in it and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out of the engine compartment.

Here is what I have done, please let me know if I've missed anything that needs to be disconnected.

Unscrew and unclip coolant overflow resivoir. Put it aside.
Unclip power steering fluid resivoir. Put it aside.
Disconnect fuel line at rail. Put it out of the way.
Unscrew ?fuel evaporating canister? and put it aside. (Located top left corner of engine bay compartment)
Remove various electrical connections in the way.
Disconnect clip connector and bolted on connector from alternator.
Pry alternator off of mounting point.

This took about an hour. Most of that was spent on figuring out the Ford quick couplers going to the fuel rail. I then spent the next 3 hours trying to figure out how to get the damn thing out without having to do too much work. I had that alternator every which way it would go. The larger line going to the ?evaporating canister? is still in the way to bring it up. There is what looks like high pressure lines in the way to drop it down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83711
What I Drive: 2005 black zx4, 2004 tahoe z-71

FF Reputation: 1 follown Good Standing Member
Just had to do this last year myself on a 2l d-tec. I had to undo the bottom motor mount. It is close to the drivers side behind the front tire. I undid one side of the mount and then had to twist the motor to allow the alternator to drop through the bottom. You may need an extra hand for that part. Haynes manual says same thing only through the top. So if one doesn't work try the other. Hope this helps.

BTW I think I had the pulley facing me as I pulled it down.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93319
What I Drive: 1999 F350 Dually, 03 SVT ZX3

Points 722, Level 14
Points: 722, Level: 14 Points: 722, Level: 14 Points: 722, Level: 14
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 fast*st Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
On the 2003 they mention to remove the three big bolts from the engine mount on the pass side, once you do this, you can pretty much by hand slide the engine forward 3 inches or so to get a lot more room.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I've been waiting for my email on my phone so I could go do it. I guess I'll do it tomorrow, it's 1AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

I got the alternator out.

I took out the three bolts to the engine mount on the passenger side. I figured I'd try and move it with my hands and sure enough I moved it a few inches. Using a screw drive I was able to pry it another inch or so and using my breaker bar I was able to get just enough room to get the alternator out with ease.

I left the breaker bar wedged between the mount and the body so I don't have to move the engine to put the alternator back in when I switch the guts between the SPI and Zetec alternator body's. I plan on tackling that tomorrow since I have to borrow a buddy's electric impact wrench to get the pulley's off the alternators.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93319
What I Drive: 1999 F350 Dually, 03 SVT ZX3

Points 722, Level 14
Points: 722, Level: 14 Points: 722, Level: 14 Points: 722, Level: 14
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 fast*st Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was put off when reviewing the alternator change instructions, I didn't need to change one but wanted to know what it took as it looked tight. I was dismayed that the engine had to be moved but during a timing belt swap, relieved to see how easy it could be shuffled.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94465
What I Drive: 1990,black

FF Reputation: 1 pondersaizi Good Standing Member
It is close to the drivers side behind the front tire. I undid one side of the mount and then had to twist the motor to allow the alternator to drop through the bottom.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.